Computer Back-up

MDM4AU

Hey guys, I have a friend that just had his computer crash and he isn't sure what will be salvageable. I got to thinking...I have a ton of stuff on my computer and I don't currently back it up. If my computer crashed tomorrow I would lose about 10 gigs of music, tax and personal info, and tons of other important things not to mention the wife's lesson plans, etc.

What is the best way to go about backing this stuff up and what do you suggest as far as how often it should be done?

:unsure:

What you need is a second hard drive, either internal or external, to back things up. There are usually programs that will help you "clone" your whole drive if you need to save all your settings and programs. If you just want to save important files, you can do that rather easily by simply selecting them, then dragging them to the second hard drive.

Depending on how often you make major changes or updates to your files, that would determine how often you need to back it up. If it's a main work computer, I'd say back it up at least once a week. If not, once a month should be fine. But it's really just personal preference.

I would suggest the secondary external harddrive option. This can easily be plugged in via. USB and used to backup anything you want. It is also easily stored at a seperate location, such as a relative's or a safe deposit box (my suggestion is it contains very personal or sensitive info). You also aren;t forced to keep buying media to backuop, such as DVDs or CDs.

I would suggesst norton ghost. It makes a copy of your hard drive. If it ever crashes just restore the ghost image to your new hard drive and your back up and running like nothing ever happened.

I would suggesst norton ghost. It makes a copy of your hard drive. If it ever crashes just restore the ghost image to your new hard drive and your back up and running like nothing ever happened.

I (heart) Norton Ghost.

I've probably ghosted close to 300 drives, it's a nice product.

Archived