UGA cheerleading coach fired

MDM4AU

UGA cheerleading coach fired over discrimination claims

The Associated Press - ATHENS, Ga.

The University of Georgia cheerleading coach has been fired after a Jewish cheerleader accused her of discrimination that kept her off the esteemed football cheer squad.

Coach Marilou Braswell was fired Monday for "discourteous and disruptive behavior" when she told the cheerleading squad about the discrimination charges, according to Braswell's termination letter.

The cheerleader, 22-year-old Jaclyn Steele, claimed her chances of making the football cheerleading team were hurt because she didn't participate in Bible studies and pregame prayers encouraged by Braswell.

"It created an atmosphere where if you were not Christian or didn't want to participate, you weren't treated as well as the other girls," said Deborah Lauter, southeast region director for the Anti-Defamation League, which helped Steele with her complaint to the university.

UGA officials didn't return repeated phone calls seeking comment. Steele declined to comment.

Steele was on the football cheering team her freshman year, but then was moved to the men's basketball squad and the women's basketball squad, seen as a demotion at the football-crazy school.

The UGA athletic department promoted Steele back to the football squad for this season without having to go through tryouts. Athletic officials took this action to try and avoid a possible lawsuit from Steele, Braswell said.

"I've had each religion and race you can imagine, and I love each of them," Braswell told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "It's reverse discrimination against me. ... I've done nothing unfair to Jackie or any of the other cheerleaders."

Braswell said she did allow students to pray but said the prayers were nonsectarian. She said once prayers were even said in Hebrew.

Braswell had been on probation since last November, when Steele first made her allegations.

When she told the cheerleaders about why Steele made the team without having to try out, the university viewed that as retaliation for the discrimination claims, said Braswell's attorney, Marie Bruce.

"She wanted her cheerleaders to be aware of why that was happening," Bruce said. "I don't see how a recitation of the facts as they exist can be retaliation."

Braswell said she had cleared her remarks with her attorney, and she had asked her superiors for approval to read the statement. Her bosses in the athletic department never got back to her, she said.

Braswell was a former UGA cheerleader herself and was in the twelfth year as coach. No replacement has been named, and Braswell plans to appeal her firing.

LINK

Archived