ESPN: There's no time for complacency at Auburn

RunInRed

A pretty good read ...

“Getting to the national championship was one of the hardest things to do,” senior defensive lineman Gabe Wright said, “but let’s face it: Getting there and then not winning it probably puts more fire in you than getting there and winning it. I know this team is highly motivated, highly driven, and that’s not coach-talk -- that’s talk in the locker room, and that’s exactly how we feel.”

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/81954/theres-no-time-for-complacency-at-auburn

This is the kind of stuff I like to hear! Hopefully they focus on the little things that got them to the national title last year and focus on dominating every snap. When you take care of the little things, the big things tend to take care of themselves. WDE!

I just don't see Auburn doing as well as they did last year. They had a lot of talent, but let's keep in mind that they were literally 2 plays away from being a 3-loss team during the regular season.

This was one of the comments on the article (GREAT article by the way).

That's the general attitude around here, I feel like. But I honestly think that we are that much better this year. I think we really have a good chance of conquering the schedule and everything. We will see, but I don't see any reason to lower my hopes.

I just don't see Auburn doing as well as they did last year. They had a lot of talent, but let's keep in mind that they were literally 2 plays away from being a 3-loss team during the regular season.

That's the general attitude around here, I feel like. But I honestly think that we are that much better this year. I think we really have a good chance of conquering the schedule and everything. We will see, but I don't see any reason to lower my hopes.

People are saying we won't sneak up on anybody this year, but with that attitude so prevalent, I'm not so sure we won't (at least early season).

We did have one lucky play in the UGA game, and an unusual play in the Iron Bowl (which we probably win in OT if we don't make). We were also one play away from winning the NC.

I agree that we will be better this year. That does not guarantee a better W-L record. There are 3 or 4 games on our schedule we will need our best game and/or some luck to win. It's not inconceivable that we could be a 3-loss team, but we are certainly capable of running the table this year.

3 losses? LSU then Georgia tip 6 and...what else? But for the kick 6 we're in OT with Bama after stuffing them in the 4th quarter, not losing the game. Not scoring a TD vs Miss St with time left on the board. But this game's easy: we were 13 seconds away from the national title and one holding call away from the LSU red zone for a great chance at making it a 1 TD game and on-side kick with a minute to go. And road, shmode. At this point it looks like AU has more seasoned leaders-by-example types than last year, a D that will (frankly, could only be) better and an O that will be more balanced (but will be hard pressed to be more productive).

I won't be shocked if we pull a Bama by not even winning the West but being final top 4 and in the playoffs this year.

3 losses? LSU then Georgia tip 6 and...what else? But for the kick 6 we're in OT with Bama after stuffing them in the 4th quarter, not losing the game. Not scoring a TD vs Miss St with time left on the board. But this game's easy: we were 13 seconds away from the national title and one holding call away from the LSU red zone for a great chance at making it a 1 TD game and on-side kick with a minute to go. And road, shmode. At this point it looks like AU has more seasoned leaders-by-example types than last year, a D that will (frankly, could only be) better and an O that will be more balanced (but will be hard pressed to be more productive).

I won't be shocked if we pull a Bama by not even winning the West but being final top 4 and in the playoffs this year.

Same here. Luckily the chance of our special teams, or another unknown-at-this-time aspect of our team, hurting us in one game and totally throwing the season down the drain is much less with the playoff system in place.

Just about every top rated team is a couple plays away from losing a game or two they ended up winning....IMO, nothing unusual about that. But, you have to give credit to a team for making that "one play" when it mattered. We had a gutty team last season...and several times they were out-manned but they had what it took ...luck or pluck...to win the game.

I dont worry about the mindless drivel of the naysayers these days. I laugh every time I see a "early 2014" poll or projections with the 'Turds listed ahead of both us and Oklahoma. They can all say whatever they want. WE all know HOW many important pieces we return and how awesome of a coaching staff we have. This is one of those seasons, much like 2004 where every game we play WE ALL KNOW we can and likely will win every game we play. THIS team WILL be that good. We know it and that is all that matters. Gonna be fun watching everyone else eat crow.

Well, it should be noted that Nick Marshall DID engineer a game winning comeback drive against Mississippi State, so one wrong play there and it's a different game. Seems he led another game winning comeback drive, as well, but I'm not sure. Also, if the Bama kicker had been able to get five more yards on his kick, we could have lost that one in regulation.

But in any case, I agree with the synopsis that this team is better than last year's, on both sides of the ball. The defense looks prepared to make the next step toward getting back to Auburn's style of smothering D, and the offense appears poised to add a dimension to the passing attack that wasn't there last year...and that one little addition could well make the Gus Bus unstoppable.

Time will tell.

Uga was he lucky one. If Auburn doesn't score on the last play, then the scoring play where the refs gave AM a TD would have been shown to be a farce. We should have been running out the clock ad bama's lucky 99 yard pass play. If we had won the toss at LSU and made them play offense first in the monsoon we could have one that one also. WDE

I dont worry about the mindless drivel of the naysayers these days. I laugh every time I see a "early 2014" poll or projections with the 'Turds listed ahead of both us and Oklahoma. They can all say whatever they want. WE all know HOW many important pieces we return and how awesome of a coaching staff we have. This is one of those seasons, much like 2004 where every game we play WE ALL KNOW we can and likely will win every game we play. THIS team WILL be that good. We know it and that is all that matters. Gonna be fun watching everyone else eat crow.

This^^. I agree 110%

This^^. I agree 110%

Have we had one of those before? Have we ever finished a super strong season (record book good), and then mauled everyone the next year? I don't think so. Not being a downer, well yes I am, but interesting discussion. I don't know of a dominate season followed by another in AU history. Im fairly young and mostly dumb though.

This^^. I agree 110%

Have we had one of those before? Have we ever finished a super strong season (record book good), and then mauled everyone the next year? I don't think so. Not being a downer, well yes I am, but interesting discussion. I don't know of a dominate season followed by another in AU history. Im fairly young and mostly dumb though.

Your missing the point. The point is there is no need THIS season for any of us to think much about the media hate for us or us not getting enough credit or bama/lsu getting too much. All we have to do is take a look at which teams lost key pieces in our division and how dramatically we improved as the season wore on last year. WE as a fan base know what we have.

This^^. I agree 110%

Auburn was 13-0 in 2004, lost four first round draft picks (three on offense), and fielded a better offense, statistically at least, while finishing 9-3 in 05, then won 11 games in 06 and 9 more in 07.

In addition, after going undefeated in 1993, AU won the first 9 games of the 94 season before tying UGA and losing to Bama to finish at 9-1-1.

Past that, off the top of my head, Sullivan and Beasley were 9-2 the year before "The Amazin's" finished 10-1. The 1957 National Championship team followed with an undefeated year in 58, with the lone blemish being a tie. And going all the way back to the early years of AU dominance, the 1913 and 1914 teams both finished undefeated, though the 1914 team had one tie. Of course, that was a scoreless tie, because the defense of 1914 didn't give up a single point the entire season, but a tie is a tie.

Past results have nothing to do with future success.

How many seasons in Auburn's history have we had Gus leading our team with the best OL and QB in the conference?

None until this one.

Auburn is gonna be really good.

Auburn is gonna repeat as SEC champs.

Deal with it media.

With ya, Harpy! Well-said...always better to be underestimated. It's those "hero" stories that fill the volumes of history...

Past results have nothing to do with future success.

How many seasons in Auburn's history have we had Gus leading our team with the best OL and QB in the conference?

None until this one.

Auburn is gonna be really good.

Auburn is gonna repeat as SEC champs.

Deal with it media.

Yup! :jossun:

Well, it should be noted that Nick Marshall DID engineer a game winning comeback drive against Mississippi State, so one wrong play there and it's a different game. Seems he led another game winning comeback drive, as well, but I'm not sure. Also, if the Bama kicker had been able to get five more yards on his kick, we could have lost that one in regulation.

But in any case, I agree with the synopsis that this team is better than last year's, on both sides of the ball. The defense looks prepared to make the next step toward getting back to Auburn's style of smothering D, and the offense appears poised to add a dimension to the passing attack that wasn't there last year...and that one little addition could well make the Gus Bus unstoppable.

Time will tell.

Just a minor correction. Had the bama kicker goen 5 more yards out of that kick, it still would have been wide to the right. And I still fullty believe Auburn would have won an OT. bama was out of gas and Auburn still had half a tank.

I love genius sportswriters who are so adept at stateing the obvious. Of course it's not the time to be complacent. It's NEVER the time to be complacent.

That's like the brilliant comment, "Here at Wassamatta U they like to gain big yardage on 1st down so they can leave themselves options for 2nd and 3rd down." Well, duh. I want to hear someone say, "Here at Cucumber College we like to be facing 3rd and REAL long whenever possible. It opens up the field that way, gives us more room to work with."

Archived