College Campus Cultural Safe-Zones

aujeff11

I'm sorry, aren't we going back to the 50s and 60s with this segregation? I'm old enough to remember white rest rooms and black rest rooms in public places.

So they want their own building to segregate themselves from the rest of campus. Then what happens when they do graduate and enter the workforce? Do employers now have to provide separate spaces, counselors, and work areas to help them adapt and acclimate to that setting also?

The counselors to help them transition to college life are already available on campus. They just have to go and use them. I know they have a mental health center, and I know they have academic counselors (which ones that know their job and are good know how to help students transition). Alabama is hiring a diversity officer and developing a plan to address these issues.

These students need to learn that in the past, now, and in the future not everyone is going to play nice. There will always be dicks. They need to learn how to acclimate to different cultures, be accepting of others ideas and views, and learn that not everyone is going to agree with them. They are not always going to be able to go Time Out.. I need a safe space to be black, or be asian, or hispanic, or white, or mixed in the middle of a conflict or professional setting to figure something out. They also need to learn that others will find things they do as offensive. Like me and the N word. I don't care who uses, it is offensive to me. That is how I was raised. So when a black says it and I'm offended, I'm sorry the whole it is our word doesn't float with me.

They have the ability to request rooms and spaces to have their meetings. Groups and organizations do this all the time on a college campus.

While racial issues are tense, still need addressing, I fear that much of what is going on now will only make things worse. This demanding of a groups own buildings, not understanding that they do interfere, impact, and make life difficulty for other students, double-standards in their demands and actions, and their approach of generalizing all whites in their speeches will only lead to things getting worse.

hell should be around when the weathermen were on campus............you really needed a safe zone then

I don't get it boss man.

hell should be around when the weathermen were on campus............you really needed a safe zone then

How about concourse preacher? Standing on a box telling everyone they were going to hell and singling out individuals to call sluts, whores, addicts etc etc lol.

How about concourse preacher? Standing on a box telling everyone they were going to hell and singling out individuals to call sluts, whores, addicts etc etc lol.

Those were some funny days on campus...Some people were over sensitive then but now a days they are really over sensitive. People need to learn to block out some of that name calling because when they react the people doing the calling gets what they want...when people ignored them they finally went away...

This is the most absurd, but kind of funny thing I've seen in awhile. Now they want to be segregated? Go to an historically all black college. You want equality? Forfeit your scholarship you got only b/c of your race/ethnicity. Seriously, these "kids" are supposed to be future leaders, Lord help us all. I agree with Texan, and will add that this Millennial generation is a group of spoiled, self entitled kids. Reality is going to be a bitch, when they get out of school and realize that the business world doesn't work that way, or the way they want it, b/c they can't handle it not being their way.

I don't get it boss man.

Yep even good old Auburn had 3 of them. Anyone remember the bomb threat at Thach Hall

https://en.wikipedia...her_Underground

What a bunch of nuts. in the the Greenwich Village explosion, those knuckleheads blew themselves up. It is amazing that so many people got involved in such a violent organization.

Well I knew one of them very well. Really wasn't a nut case made straight A's at Auburn and she was from Miami, She's now a college professor at a major school. The story's I could tell

Those were some funny days on campus...Some people were over sensitive then but now a days they are really over sensitive. People need to learn to block out some of that name calling because when they react the people doing the calling gets what they want...when people ignored them they finally went away...

I think Auburn actually removed/banned concourse preacher. Also think there has been more than one. There is still one that does his thing in front of the library but he doesn't attack/insult individual, he just shouts a message.

Course back then most of the students either told him to f... off or encouraged him for their own entertainment just to see what he would say.

I remember when Brother Micah came one year also lol.

I think Auburn actually removed/banned concourse preacher. Also think there has been more than one. There is still one that does his thing in front of the library but he doesn't attack/insult individual, he just shouts a message.

Course back then most of the students either told him to f... off or encouraged him for their own entertainment just to see what he would say.

I don't remember the name of the dude that was there in the 80's but most of us found it entertaining...there were a few that really took it to heart and would argue with him and try to out verse him....that is the problem if you want to get rid of these type of people....you don't engage them and get to their level....(not specifically speaking about the sidewalk preachers)....

I don't remember the name of the dude that was there in the 80's but most of us found it entertaining...there were a few that really took it to heart and would argue with him and try to out verse him....that is the problem if you want to get rid of these type of people....you don't engage them and get to their level....(not specifically speaking about the sidewalk preachers)....

So true. But some of us simply can't help themselves. ;D

Archived