Speech to team this week

rolltoomer

First of all, I would not get too fancy with new stuff for UG. Take what has worked, polish on it, maybe put one or two derivatives on good stuff and work on boosting confidence. Confidence is funny stuff, and it isn't what a lot of people think. It isn't assurance of success ("I'm confident we could beat Opelika High.") It's a willingness to stay loose, shake off set-backs, and play with some dash and--to use an old phrase--"be a little reckless."

I would say to them, "We are a class bunch of guys and we will win if we stick to our knitting. If we should get behind, we will not panic. We will focus on our fundamentals and dance with what brought us to the ball. You can only lose confidence if you allow yourselves to. It doesn't come from outside you, or from the crowd; it comes from within you. With our success this year, you have a lot of reserve in you. We will block well, we will tackle well, we will kick well, run well, throw well and catch well. And we will do it with concentration and a dose of pride."

Well we know that Tubs and Borges will throw some new looks at them. The UK and Ole Miss game, we didn't see any variation (most of the time).

Throughout the whole season we have barely blitzed...mainly in part because our front four has been so strong and we have actually got good pressure up front! I suspect we will throw in some blitzes. But if we do, we got to watch out for the corner...what Chizik has been thinking all week.

If I was the coaches, I wouldn't be pumping sunshine, but I would be getting them pumped as much as possible. Gameday...Two top 5 teams...homecrowd...chance for Orange!!!!! I would just keep em focused but at the same time, let them know how much this game means.

But then again, I'm not a coach and will never be one...so I don't know :)

I'll sign you up rolltoomer. Great speech. Seriously, a team can't play on emotion for more than 15 minutes, then, its settle down and business as usual. The team SHOULD know damn well what's at stake and require very little in the way of emotional speeches. For example once Bahr came in at halftime and is was so pissed he left the dressing room and only came back when it was time to take the field. He said: "OK, girls, lets go get them." That's all it took so its a weird game sometimes and timing is everything.......WDE!

..."We are a class bunch of guys and we will win if we stick to our knitting.  ..."

118894[/snapback]

:blink: Stick to our knitting? :blink: Boy, you sure know how to fire up a football team. I'm ready to run through a wall right now ... with my knitting needles & rolls of yarn. :P

If I'm the head coach, I go get some AU legends & bring 'em to practice one at a time every day this week and just let them talk to the team about what it means to play UGA in the oldest rivalry game in the South. And then on game day, I'd invite Bo to address the team just before the game just like he did against the bammies 2 years ago and let him tell the team as he did then, "... to KNOCK SOMEBODY OUT!" :au: WDE

Remember when Al Borges said that we were gonna fight to win that Tennessee game or something in that nature .. I can't think of the exact quote.. but I would love to hear that from him again for this game ..

I tell them you started out in Pee Wee and have worked all of your football life to have this opportunity that is before you on Saturday. If every player on the field gives 100% on every single play for 60 minutes we can do it. Otherwise, the NC dreams go up in smoke regardless of what happens in the next 2 games. One game at a time and the dawgs are next. Go get'em, woof, woof woof!!!

I wouldn't say anything. Just take a page from Sherrill's book and castrate a bulldog after practice. Or maybe a Bulldog fan?

Yeah, that should do it.

Don't let this happen to you.

"Guys, lets go out there and play. Lets just have some fun and leave it on the field. Trust the preparation. Trust the game plan. Trust your teamates. Don't make this game about assignments. Make it about football and we'll win."

Archived