Baseball vs. FSU Game Thread (Regional Final)

I'm not optimistic. When the team out of the losers' bracket forces an "if necessary" game the momentum is all in their favor. Also, like it or not FSU's pitching depth has got to be better than ours. Their head man is in his 38th year there, in a populous, baseball rich state with a storied program. They might not have two similar to Thompson and Mize, but logic dictates that their 3 through 10 guys are stronger than ours.

We're going to have to catch all the catchable balls and hit all the hittable pitches. I might just call Thompson and Mize up to my motel room, sit them down and say "Guys, we need you". "Keegan's starting and if/when he gives out, Casey is going in." In their careers, perhaps pre-college but at numerous points, they have each gone with one or two days rest. Popular opinion to the contrary, that's not likely to do any damage to a pitcher's arm and there's plenty of rest time before the supers start. You can call me a Win at All Costs SOB. I won't object.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's a close game and we have a shot to win come the 8th or 9th then I say throw Casey in there and ride him for better or worse

Just now, au302 said:

If it's a close game and we have a shot to win come the 8th or 9th then I say throw Casey in there and ride him for better or worse

Keegan would be much more likely in that scenario IMO having another day's rest.

I thought about throwing Mize in there for the ninth yesterday. Just tell him "we need 15 pitches, one inning, I need ya." If he's in danger of being hurt that's one thing but he's thrown 110+ in a game this year and I don't even think he hit 100 the other day- he's gotta have a few left, and Keegan, with now 2 days rest (technically 3 since he last threw a pitch) should be able to throw some, too. 

6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I thought about throwing Mize in there for the ninth yesterday. Just tell him "we need 15 pitches, one inning, I need ya." If he's in danger of being hurt that's one thing but he's thrown 110+ in a game this year and I don't even think he hit 95 the other day- he's gotta have a few left, and Keegan, with now 3 days rest (technically 4 since he last threw a pitch) should be able to throw some, too. 

Throwing 90 one day and then coming back the next is completely different than throwing 120 in a single outing. 

Also, FSU is down to an two guys just like us. Everyone else has been used to some extent in this regional. This game will come down to who steps up on the mound and who get timely hits. The possibilities for this game are numerous. 

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm not optimistic. When the team out of the losers' bracket forces an "if necessary" game the momentum is all in their favor. Also, like it or not FSU's pitching depth has got to be better than ours. Their head man is in his 38th year there, in a populous, baseball rich state with a storied program. They might not have two similar to Thompson and Mize, but logic dictates that their 3 through 10 guys are stronger than ours.

We're going to have to catch all the catchable balls and hit all the hittable pitches. I might just call Thompson and Mize up to my motel room, sit them down and say "Guys, we need you". "Keegan's starting and if/when he gives out, Casey is going in." In their careers, perhaps pre-college but at numerous points, they have each gone with one or two days rest. Popular opinion to the contrary, that's not likely to do any damage to a pitcher's arm and there's plenty of rest time before the supers start. You can call me a Win at All Costs SOB. I won't object.

Need Klobo to step up like the guy for the Aggies who are in the process of beating Houston...mid-week guy spinning a gem  at a crucial time for his team.

15 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Keegan, with now 2 days rest (technically 3 since he last threw a pitch) should be able to throw some, too. 

2. Saturday & Sunday was his rest days.

Not to get too far ahead of things but I notice that the Lubbock regional is played on artificial turf. 

Has AU played any baseball on a field like that...and is that something that makes any serious difference?  

Keegan will be on 69 hours of rest, so "technically" I guess you could say 2.875 days  :dunno:  

OK...guess that sounds about right...and about 3 batters into the game we will know if that's a good decision.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Not to get too far ahead of things but I notice that the Lubbock regional is played on artificial turf. 

Has AU played any baseball on a field like that...and is that something that makes any serious difference?  

1. Not recently. 2. It can. Remember the '85 St. Louis Cardinals with Vince Coleman & Willie McGhee...Speed! Speed! Speeeeeeed!

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

1. Not recently. 2. It can. Remember the '85 St. Louis Cardinals with Vince Coleman & Willie McGhee...Speed! Speed! Speeeeeeed!

Don't think anyone would mistake our guys for the Cardinals....just wondering if those ground balls would shoot through the infield...and affect positioning, etc?

Well there is one stat in our favor if the trend continues. As stated earlier Klobo has a 2.16 against his toughest competition this season which is SEC opponents. Zirzow has a 6.75 ERA this season against his toughest competition which is ACC opponents. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don't think anyone would mistake our guys for the Cardinals....just wondering if those ground balls would shoot through the infield...and affect positioning, etc?

More than likely.

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

2. Saturday & Sunday was his rest days.

I know, but I'm saying since he last three a pitch, it's been 72 hours. Friday to Saturday, Saturday to Sunday, Sunday to now.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well there is one stat in our favor if the trend continues. As stated earlier Klobo has a 2.16 against his toughest competition this season which is SEC opponents. Zirzow has a 6.75 ERA this season against his toughest competition which is ACC opponents. 

Looks like it's settled then :P

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

when was the last time Zirzow pitched? I think rust could be an issue if it has been a while...

Jacksonville a month ago. Started. Gave up 1 run in a 4 innings.

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I know, but I'm saying since he last three a pitch, it's been 72 hours. Friday to Saturday, Saturday to Sunday, Sunday to now.

Butch doesn't look at it that way and he's the one that counts.

Sam Houston State just took a 4-3 lead on Texas Tech in the 6th. SHS is the 3 seed in Lubbock. If that holds, does that mean a likely Super Regional in Auburn with a win tonight? 

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Sam Houston State just took a 4-3 lead on Texas Tech in the 6th. SHS is the 3 seed in Lubbock. If that holds, does that mean a likely Super Regional in Auburn with a win tonight? 

I really wish we could just focus on tonight first...I have a one track mind, heart, and emotion...Hard to think of the next series..lol

Archived