Why no one should watch the Mayweather-McGregor fight

Grumps

41 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well, Urban Meyer was in the SEC and Saban ran him off. Harbaugh and Franklin has done what, nothing? How many 1st round draft picks did the Pac12 or the BIG 10 have?

Can you name a conference with any betterresults

They also have/had  mostly a s***ty schedule compared to the SEC and an easy path to conference championship.

Why? Washington was supposedly a playoff team last year but really wasn't all that great.   USC lost to Bama by over 40 pointsas well. 

so?

Wrong

Franklin won the conference and went to the Rose Bowl.  Harbaugh has back-to-back 10 win seasons, plus a solid run at Stanford (I'm not even including his Super Bowl appearance in this argument).  Oh, and Urban won the damn National Title, beating Bama on the way to it.  Pretty solid I'd say.  I've made my point about draft picks already.  They don't matter if doesn't turn into wins at the college level.

ACC teams that have recruited at a top level (FSU and Clemson) have cashed in over the last four years.  SEC teams, including LSU & UGA, have not.  By the way, the Big 10 had four teams in the final Top 10 just last year.  The SEC?  Exactly one.  In fact, every major conference had at least two teams ranked ahead of the SEC's second best team (LSU #13).  If you look at the recruiting rankings, that should not be the case.  But don't let facts get in the way of your tribalism.  

Crappy schedule?  The Big 12 had one less Top 25 team at the end of the year than the SEC (3 vs 4) in the coaches poll.  What does that say about Bama's schedule strength?

Washington wasn't all that great?  They lost by 10 to Bama in a virtual road game.  I'm talking about the entire SEC.  You're only talking about Bama here.  Again, it's Bama and a bunch of also rans right now until shown otherwise.  I'm hoping AU reverses that trend this season, but it needs to consistently be proven on the field.

Not wrong.  But if you want to answer in a Trumpian fashion, feel free.  Run a head-to-head matchup of Pac 12 vs SEC last year based on win totals.  Pac 12 probably splits those games at minimum.  And remember, the Pac-12 typically plays at least one quality non-conference opponent from a power conference and a 9-game conference schedule.  So a 7 win Pac 12 team is probably equal to an 8 win SEC team due to playing at least 10 quality games vs 9.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Franklin won the conference and went to the Rose Bowl. 

He is 25-15 and he lost in the rose bowl. Let's not forget that a lot of those wins were against the Iowa State's of the conference as well.

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Oh, and Urban won the damn National Title, beating Bama on the way to it. 

After Bama gave him a "heart attack" and made his ass quit.

16 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I've made my point about draft picks already.  They don't matter if doesn't turn into wins at the college level.

Your point is garbage. Wins are not judged equally. Urban, Big game Bob and Harbaugh don't have to play the talent that the SEC has to week by week. Urban was once 28-0 at Ohio State and never even played against a ranked team on the road. 

18 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

ACC teams that have recruited at a top level (FSU and Clemson) have cashed in over the last four years. 

The SEC has been cashing in since 2006. Can you name the three NON SEC teams to not win the NC since 06? You probably can but even then, you lose.

19 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

In fact, every major conference had at least two teams ranked ahead of the SEC's second best team (LSU #13). 

The SEC had a down year but, then again, when you're playing countless NFL draft picks or teams that command top recruiting classes week to week, that kind of thing can happen. Not so for the ACC or the Big 10. The ACC has two legit teams( one of which our mediocre team last year should've beat) and the BIG 10 has one legit team.

25 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Washington wasn't all that great?  They lost by 10 to Bama in a virtual road game. 

Bama sleptwalked through that game and the game was decided long before the final whistles blew. Give me a break.

26 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm talking about the entire SEC.  You're only talking about Bama here.  Again, it's Bama and a bunch of also rans right now until shown otherwise. 

Auburn, LSU, Florida, and Bama all have championships since 06. Can your SEC hate conjure up such a list to counter? 

29 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Run a head-to-head matchup of Pac 12 vs SEC last year based on win totals. 

That's such faulty logic I wish you would profess to be under the Trump trance yourself... 

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He is 25-15 and he lost in the rose bowl. Let's not forget that a lot of those wins were against the Iowa State's of the conference as well.

Your point is garbage. Wins are not judged equally. Urban, Big game Bob and Harbaugh don't have to play the talent that the SEC has to week by week. Urban was once 28-0 at Ohio State and never even played against a ranked team on the road. 

The SEC has been cashing in since 2006. Can you name the three NON SEC teams to not win the NC since 06? You probably can but even then, you lose.

The SEC had a down year but, then again, when you're playing countless NFL draft picks or teams that command top recruiting classes week to week, that kind of thing can happen. Not so for the ACC or the Big 10. The ACC has two legit teams( one of which our mediocre team last year should've beat) and the BIG 10 has one legit team.

Bama sleptwalked through that game and the game was decided long before the final whistles blew. Give me a break.

Auburn, LSU, Florida, and Bama all have championships since 06. Can your SEC hate conjure up such a list to counter? 

That's such faulty logic I wish you would profess to be under the Trump trance yourself... 

He's 25-15 after taking over a program decimated by the NCAA.  And he still won the Big 10.  But by this logic, shouldn't any SEC team racking up wins against Vandy, Kentucky, Mizzou, etc have that held against them as well?

By the way, Iowa State plays in the Big 12.  If you're going to get into a football argument about a conference's lack of competition, at least know who plays where.

This so stupid it hurts.  Dude won a Natty in two different conferences.  That's pretty damn impressive.  Also, he beat Bama on the way to his title at OSU.

1) Last year, the school with most draft picks was Michigan.  But I guess the Big 10 doesn't have schools with talent.

2) Bama had 10 of the SEC's 53 draft picks last year.  So among the other 13 teams, each had about 3 drafted on average.  That's on par with every other major conference at 3 per school.  Obviously some schools had more drafted than others, but you (hopefully) get the point.  Outside of Bama, the SEC has not been special over the last 2-3 years.

Just gonna lump these two together.  I reiterate, I don't hate the SEC.  I love the SEC.  I've probably been to more SEC stadiums than you have for games (will be at 11 after my trip to Mizzou this year).  But I also understand that really good to great football is played elsewhere and don't automatically assume that the SEC is the king.

1) What does 2006 have to do with 2017?  Freshmen today were 7 years old in 2006.  Seniors were 10, maybe 11.  It literally has no bearing on their performance today.

2) 2006 - Florida, 2007 - LSU, 2008 - Florida, 2009 - Bama, 2010 - Auburn, 2011 - Bama, 2012 - Bama, 2013 - FSU, 2014 - OSU, 2015 - Bama, 2016 - Clemson

And yes, I did that off the top of my head.  As you'll see, over the last four years,  the ACC has the most titles.  I use four years because that would a full cycle for a senior graduating last year, which is the last class that I can judge on.

The draft pick thing is answered above....again.  Otherwise, this is nothing more than excuse.  The SEC was not the best conference last year, which is the most recent that I have to judge on.  The final polls bear that out.  This isn't the late 2000's or early 2010's anymore.  The football landscape has changed.

Sleptwalk?  So it's not even possible that Washington had something to do with Bama's struggles?  I'm sure Bama just sleptwalk for the first half of that Ole Miss game too.

Tells me you aren't interested in the exercise because it might just prove you wrong.  Cool story bro.

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

This so stupid it hurts.  Dude won a Natty in two different conferences.  That's pretty damn impressive.  Also, he beat Bama on the way to his title at OSU.

Yeah.  He won in the SEC. Duh. Are you trying to help my argument He also won at Ohio State after Saban ran him off. Your point? 

1) Last year, the school with most draft picks was Michigan.  But I guess the Big 10 doesn't have schools with talent.

Yeah all that talent worked out really well for Harbaugh, huh? Considering there were only 35 Big ten draft picks, and Michigan had 11, you'd think a a reasonable person would conclude that the big ten isn't very strong top to bottom. I mean that's a damn near a third of the conference picks. 

1) What does 2006 have to do with 2017?  Freshmen today were 7 years old in 2006.  Seniors were 10, maybe 11.  It literally has no bearing on their performance today.

2) 2006 - Florida, 2007 - LSU, 2008 - Florida, 2009 - Bama, 2010 - Auburn, 2011 - Bama, 2012 - Bama, 2013 - FSU, 2014 - OSU, 2015 - Bama, 2016 - Clemson

2006 is when the SEC run started and they damn sure haven't given up the title of the premier football conference

And yes, I did that off the top of my head.  As you'll see, over the last four years,  the ACC has the most titles

Yeah, they do. Lightning rod teams can catch fire. Like I said though, if we took care of business the right way, we would have handed Clemson a big L in week one. And our team was mediocre.

Sleptwalk?  So it's not even possible that Washington had something to do with Bama's struggles? 

Bama won by 17 in that playoff game.lol. Are you trying to destroy your own argument?

And Washington's supposedly great offense didn't even muster up 200 yards of total offense. They basically equaled our yardage against them (we score more points against them also) even though we had JF3 and JJ at QB and even though Kam Pettway was still hurt.

Tells me you aren't interested in the exercise because it might just prove you wrong.

I already explained why your "exercise" was illogical. Comparing total wins top to bottom is a waste of time unless both play the same competition.. 

I did see that Oregon State has already gotten their s*** pushed in by Colorado State. Welp!!!

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah.  He won in the SEC. Duh. Are you trying to help my argument He also won at Ohio State after Saban ran him off. Your point? 

Yeah all that talent worked out really well for Harbaugh, huh? Considering there were only 35 Big ten draft picks, and Michigan only had 11, you'd think a a reasonable person would conclude that the big ten isn't very strong. I mean that's a damn near a third of the conference picks. conclude SEC stil easily wiped the floor. 

2006 is when the SEC run started and they damn sure haven't given up the title of the premier football conference

Yeah, they do. Lightning rod teams can catch fire. Like I said though, if we took care of business the right way, we would have handed Clemson a big L in week one. And our team was mediocre.

Bama won by 17 in that playoff game.lol. Are you trying to destroy your own argument?

And Washington's supposedly great offense didn't even muster up 200 yards of total offense. They basically equaled our yardage against them (we score more points against them also) even though we had JF3 and JJ at QB and even though Kam Pettway was still hurt.

I already explained why your "exercise" was illogical. Comparing total wins top to bottom is a waste of time unless both conga play the same competition.. 

I did see that Oregon State has already gotten their s*** pushed in by Colorado State. Welp!!!

My point is that he's still a great coach.  The guy has won everywhere he's been.

Yeah all that talent worked out really well for Harbaugh, huh? Considering there were only 35 Big ten draft picks, and Michigan only had 11, you'd think a a reasonable person would conclude that the big ten isn't very strong. I mean that's a damn near a third of the conference picks. conclude SEC stil easily wiped the floor. 

The SEC gave up the sure-fire premier conference distinction the moment I walked out of the Rose Bowl pissed off at Jameis Winston.  Since then, the SEC has had one rock-solid program and a bunch of average teams.

You keep opting to not argue my point that draft picks and strength of college teams have little correlation.  For example, Miami had 9 draft picks last year.  They sucked.  LSU, Florida, and Utah all had 8.  All mediocre teams.  Meanwhile, the national champions only had 6.

Also, much of the national media agrees with my assessment that the SEC wasn't the top conference after last year and isn't heading into this year.  See some links below.  And please remember, these guys get paid to watch and analyze college football.  You and I don't.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/ranking-10-fbs-conferences-entering-2017-170958727.html

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-conference-power-rankings-sec-takes-a-tumble-big-ten-surges/amp/

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2686374-ranking-every-college-football-conference-post-bowl-season.amp.html

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/07/21/conference-power-rankings-sec-acc-big-ten

Lightning rod teams?  FSU went undefeated.  Ohio State dominated the CFP in 2014 with their third string QB.  Clemson has played in back-to-back title games, winning one.   That's not lightning in a bottle.

As for us vs Clemson, ifs and buts.  The fact is, they won and we lost.  Mediocre teams put a scare into top teams every year.  remember the season opener in 2011?  We should have lost to Utah State.  But we didn't.  Finding a way to win is part of the game.

You were trying to make it sound like that game was over at the half.  Bama didn't get that 17 point lead until the 4th quarter.  And their offense struggled mightily that day as well.  It wasn't just Washington's.

Just last year:

Mississippi State lost AT HOME to South Alabama
Kentucky lost AT HOME to Southern Miss
Missouri lost AT HOME to Middle Tennessee State

At least Oregon State lost on the road.  What's your point?

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The SEC gave up the sure-fire premier conference distinction the moment I walked out of the Rose Bowl pissed off at Jameis Winston.

No they didn't. Stop. The SEC has ruled the land far too long for one game to send it's supremacy to a screeching halt. The SEC has the longevity and the power that is unrivaled elsewhere. 

24 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Also, much of the national media agrees with my assessment that the SEC wasn't the top conference after last year and isn't heading into this year.  See some links below.

So you're saying the media has SEC fatigue too. :gasp:

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Since then, the SEC has had one rock-solid program and a bunch of average teams.

Average teams that can still push a solid majority of power 5 conference teams around on any given Saturday. Florida was an offensive graveyard last year but they still stomped Iowa in the bowl game..the same Iowa squad that beat Michigan. 

Just to be clear, your argument is that the ACC is the best conference right now or no? Let's put your #1 conference under the same level of scrutiny as you're giving the SEC? 

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Lightning rod teams?  FSU went undefeated. 

and? And we gifted those losers a championship also with the missed tackle at the end. The ultimate result of that botched tackle and others didn't say one thing or another about the status of their conference though. Similarly, when Oregon mudstomped Florida State in the playoff the next year, that didn't signal a change in conference superiority either.

But, I will personally enjoying Auburn and Bama beating Florida State and Clemson in the upcoming weeks. The reactionaries like will be back to jumping off the bandwagons at full steam ahead.

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

As for us vs Clemson, ifs and buts.  The fact is, they won and we lost.  Mediocre teams put a scare into top teams every year.  remember the season opener in 2011?  We should have lost to Utah State

Our players didn't gift wrap Clemson that win; our coach did. Inexcusable.

And, no, we "shouldn't have" lost to Utah State unless you think recovering an inside kick is an illegitimate football play. They even knew the onside kick was coming.

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You were trying to make it sound like that game was over at the half

Did you even watch the game? It basically was over even though Bama had a struggling freshman QB. Washington wasn't moving the ball at all. It could've been a one score game and that Bama lead would've still felt insurmountable because of their defense. 

19 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

And their offense struggled mightily that day as well. 

324 total yards > 198; 24 points > 7; 0 turnovers > 3.

Bama was more than effective enough with a  slumping true freshman at quarterback. You can have a moral victory though: the best PAC 12 team caused a true freshman to slightly struggle for a half. Too bad USC couldn't contain Hurts enough to stop Bama from putting 50 up on them.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Just to be clear, your argument is that the ACC is the best conference right now or no? Let's put your #1 conference under the same level of scrutiny as you're giving the SEC?

All he is (and has been) saying in a nutshell, is that the SEC has recently been a bunch of average/mediocre teams, and one dominant team.  He is also saying that the college football landscape in general is scattered with good teams and interesting football.  If anything, his argument is that no conference is really dominating everyone else.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

All he is (and has been) saying in a nutshell, is that the SEC has recently been a bunch of average/mediocre teams, and one dominant team. 

Well this is more accurate. I'd like to hear if he has  manother conference on the pedestal himself though.

26 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

No they didn't. Stop. The SEC has ruled the land far too long for one game to send it's supremacy to a screeching halt. The SEC has the longevity and the power that is unrivaled elsewhere. 

Average teams that can still push a solid majority of power 5 conference teams around on any given Saturday. Florida was an offensive graveyard last year but they still stomped Iowa in the bowl game..the same Iowa squad that beat Michigan. 

and? And we gifted those losers a championship also with the missed tackle at the end. The ultimate result of that botched tackle and others didn't say one thing or another about the status of their conference though. Similarly, when Oregon mudstomped Florida State in the playoff the next year, that didn't signal a change in conference superiority either.

But, I will personally enjoying Auburn and Bama beating Florida State and Clemson in the upcoming weeks. The reactionaries like will be back to jumping off the bandwagons at full steam ahead.

And, no, we "shouldn't have" lost to Utah State unless you think recovering an inside kick is an illegitimate football play. They even knew the onside kick was coming.

Did you even watch the game? It basically was over even though Bama had a struggling freshman QB. Washington wasn't moving the ball at all. It could've been a one score game and that Bama lead would've still felt insurmountable because of their defense. 

324 total yards > 198; 24 points > 7; 0 turnovers > 3.

Bama was more than effective enough with a  slumping true freshman at quarterback. You can have a moral victory though: the best PAC 12 team caused a true freshman to slightly struggle for a half. Too bad USC couldn't contain Hurts enough to stop Bama from putting 50 up on them.

You're talking about the past.  I'm talking about right now.  That's the fundamental difference in our view of this debate.  College football is a year-to-year sport.

This is a cop-out for hearing something that doesn't fit your narrative.  These folks are far more qualified than your or I to talk about this, as they get paid to watch every conference every week.

This is subjective at best.  Also, transitive wins?  We're going there now?  It's been shown time and time again that those mean nothing.  Mediocre Florida beat mediocre Iowa.  Big whoop.

Coaching is a part of the game.  In college ball, it's a HUGE part.

And you don't get to excuse our loss to Clemson in one breath as "should have won" and then justify that game against Utah State in another.  We got lucky against Utah State.  The ball bounced just right on the onside kick.  Clemson got lucky last year that Gus had a 3 hour brain fart.  Those are the breaks.

"It felt insurmountable".  I'm sure the Falcons felt that way too in the Super Bowl.  I know I felt that way when we were down 24-0 in Tuscaloosa.  But I deal in facts, and the fact is that 10 points isn't insurmountable, just like those other two games mentioned weren't either.

I'd argue, top to bottom, that the ACC and Big 10 are on par with the SEC.  I've never claimed that the SEC isn't one of the best.  I've only said that it is no longer the clear-cut, no doubt about it, best conference in the country.

5 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

All he is (and has been) saying in a nutshell, is that the SEC has recently been a bunch of average/mediocre teams, and one dominant team.  He is also saying that the college football landscape in general is scattered with good teams and interesting football.  If anything, his argument is that no conference is really dominating everyone else.

THANK YOU!

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well this is more accurate. I'd like to hear if he has  manother conference on the pedestal himself though.

Keep in mind that there is a 99.9% chance that anyone you talk to on this board is an Auburn fan, as I am quite certain Brad_ATX is.  All I have taken from reading his posts is exactly what I said.  I take him to be an Auburn fan in particular, and a college football fan in general.  I have not seen him placing any conference on the pedestal, and take him to be saying that no conference has recently been dominating all others.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

Keep in mind that there is a 99.9% chance that anyone you talk to on this board is an Auburn fan, as I am quite certain Brad_ATX is.  All I have taken from reading his posts is exactly what I said.  I take him to be an Auburn fan in particular, and a college football fan in general.  I have not seen him placing any conference on the pedestal, and take him to be saying that no conference has recently been dominating all others.

Seriously, thank you for breaking my point down into this.  And yes, I'm a giant AU fan.  Live in Texas but will be making my way to four games this year (Mizzou, LSU, A&M, and Bama).  Have attended over 100 AU games since 2000 with at least 20-25 of those being away from JHS.  Also attended games in the Big 10, Pac 12, and Big 12 where I had no rooting interest.  Just love football.  Notre Dame/Michigan State in 2006 was one of the wildest games I've ever been to.

As for the college football overall thing, you're again 100% spot on.  My buddy is flying to Texas this weekend just so we can set up four TVs and watch as many games as possible Saturday to kick off the season.  We'll have a little bit of everything on....plus steaks and bourbon :)

22 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Keep in mind that there is a 99.9% chance that anyone you talk to on this board is an Auburn fan, as I am quite certain Brad_ATX is

Im not attacking his Auburn fanhood. I'm attacking his arguments. He claimed Florida State took away SEC's title as best conference in 2013. Are you going to defend this argument for him, too? 

One would think that if somebody took something from another person that the said person would then have ownership over it.

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Seriously, thank you for breaking my point down into this.  And yes, I'm a giant AU fan.  Live in Texas but will be making my way to four games this year (Mizzou, LSU, A&M, and Bama).  Have attended over 100 AU games since 2000 with at least 20-25 of those being away from JHS.  Also attended games in the Big 10, Pac 12, and Big 12 where I had no rooting interest.  Just love football.  Notre Dame/Michigan State in 2006 was one of the wildest games I've ever been to.

As for the college football overall thing, you're again 100% spot on.  My buddy is flying to Texas this weekend just so we can set up four TVs and watch as many games as possible Saturday to kick off the season.  We'll have a little bit of everything on....plus steaks and bourbon :)

College football is the only sport I have ever cared about enough to follow.  Aside from Auburn games, I particularly enjoy games with potent offenses.  Some of the minor conference games end up being more entertaining than big matchups.  I would say the wildest game I have been to was the 2006 Florida game.  Crazy game, crazy ending, and crazy crowd.  I was also at the dreadful Arkansas  game that preceded it, and it definitely made up for it.

Just now, Strychnine said:

College football is the only sport I have ever cared about enough to follow.  Aside from Auburn games, I particularly enjoy games with potent offenses.  Some of the minor conference games end up being more entertaining than big matchups.  I would say the wildest game I have been to was the 2006 Florida game.  Crazy game, crazy ending, and crazy crowd.  I was also at the dreadful Arkansas  game that preceded it, and it definitely made up for it.

I was at that 2006 UF game too.  I'm one of the few AU people you'll meet who walked out of there angry, mostly because the team that beat UF didn't show up the week before against Arky, as you mentioned.  I vividly remember someone saying "We just beat the #2 team".  I snapped my head around angrily and said "Who was #2 last week?  Oh yeah, us."

P.S. I'm still bitter about 2006.  We could and should have at least won the SEC, if not the national title.

43 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'd argue, top to bottom, that the ACC and Big 10 are on par with the SEC.  I've never claimed that the SEC isn't one of the best.  I've only said that it is no longer the clear-cut, no doubt about it, best conference in the country.

Anybody can say  "well look at the games that the SEC teams have lost."

Can anybody say the other conferences don't have their share of bottom feeders and/or  bad losses? We obviously have our fair share of perpetual bottomfeeders.

Anybody can also say "Well Bama is they have." Well, are the other conferences that much stronger? No. Florida State lost to Louisville by over 40 points and our bottom feeder team, Kentucky, whooped Louisville. 

The Big 10 went 3-7 in the bowls last year as well. Is their conference really that strong? I don't think so. 

The SEC has been the premier conference for years. Sometimes we don't seem like it and we underachieve, but we have more 1st round draft picks, draft picks, championships, Heismans, and revenue than any other conferences since the turn of the millennium. One cannot say that the SEC doesn't own the title as the best football conference until another conference legitimately takes it away either. 

29 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Im not attacking his Auburn fanhood. I'm attacking his arguments. He claimed Florida State took away SEC's title as best conference in 2013. Are you going to defend this argument for him, too? 

One would think that if somebody took something from another person that the said person would then have ownership over it.

This is a gross mischaracterization of what I said.  The exact quote is:

The SEC gave up the sure-fire premier conference distinction the moment I walked out of the Rose Bowl pissed off at Jameis Winston.  Since then, the SEC has had one rock-solid program and a bunch of average teams.

I never said the Florida State took it away and claimed it for themselves.  Ownership in a subjective manner like this isn't transferrable from one to the other.  Hell, neither the ACC or SEC played for the national title just a year later.  The claim was meant to show that on that night, an era of parity across college football conferences truly began.  The last four years have proven that to be true.  Four different teams have won the title from three different conferences.  Meanwhile, the Top 10-15 rankings are not as full of SEC teams as they were just 5-6 years ago.

Strychnine really did capture my overall point very well. 

52 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It felt insurmountable".  I'm sure the Falcons felt that way too in the Super Bowl.  I know I felt that way when we were down 24-0 in Tuscaloosa. 

Auburn down 24-0 to Bama was completely different than what Bama was doing to Washington. We shot ourselves in the foot very early in the game. They were dominated and any signs of life from their squad  were always quickly stifled

An example more appropriate would be Cam Newton's team being down by one score to the Broncos all game in the Super Bowl, but yet, that one score seemed (and ultimately was) insurmountable given how well the Broncos defense was playing.

Please stop pretending like you're the one using facts.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I was at that 2006 UF game too.  I'm one of the few AU people you'll meet who walked out of there angry, mostly because the team that beat UF didn't show up the week before against Arky, as you mentioned.  I vividly remember someone saying "We just beat the #2 team".  I snapped my head around angrily and said "Who was #2 last week?  Oh yeah, us."

P.S. I'm still bitter about 2006.  We could and should have at least won the SEC, if not the national title.

Those two games could really be singled out as an overall illustration of Tuberville's time in Auburn.  Whacky, inexplicable losses, and whacky, unexpected wins.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Auburn down 24-0 to Bama was completely different than what Bama was doing to Washington. We shot ourselves in the foot very early in the game. They were dominated and any signs of life from their squad  were always quickly stifled

An example more appropriate would be Cam Newton's team being down by one score to the Broncos all game in the Super Bowl, but yet, that one score seemed (and ultimately was) insurmountable given how well the Broncos defense was playing.

Please stop pretending like you're the one using facts.

Well this is fun because I also happen to be a monster Broncos fan.  My Broncos fandom actually goes back further than my AU fandom (actually saw games at the original Mile High Stadium).  If you think Broncos fans felt that one score lead was safe late in the game, you're sadly mistaken.  That game wasn't safe until C.J. Anderson scored late in the 4th.

And everything I've pointed to is based on numbers.  24-0.  28-3.  Those aren't feelings.  Those are verifiable scores during games.  By the way, I was in BDS for that 2010 game.  Bama flat out kicked our ass for the first 20-25 minutes.  No excuses for how we came out and played at the beginning.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The claim was meant to show that on that night, an era of parity across college football conferences truly began. 

This is sensationalist fluff. 

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The SEC gave up the sure-fire premier conference distinction the moment I walked out of the Rose Bowl pissed off at Jameis Winston. 

So is this.

These are not facts of any kind.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Four different teams have won the title from three different conferences. 

Ohio State has always been a football juggernaut, so has Florida State. And then there is Bama.....I guess a Clemson championship is your real claim to parity. 

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Meanwhile, the Top 10-15 rankings are not as full of SEC teams as they were just 5-6 years ago.

Status quo has obviously changed since then but, in the end, the SEC is still usually the leader( or at the top) in draft picks, average recruiting rankings, bowl game results, individual accolades, revenue, etc. 

I mean hell, I'm tired of being top 10 in recruiting but only being top five in the conference. Being top ten nationally literally does us no good at all. 

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well this is fun because I also happen to be a monster Broncos fan.  My Broncos fandom actually goes back further than my AU fandom (actually saw games at the original Mile High Stadium).  If you think Broncos fans felt that one score lead was safe late in the game, you're sadly mistaken

Well it was obvious the whole second half, when the Panthers were only going backwards every drive that the lead was safe. Maybe you're just not very aware.

And I, too, was at the Iron Bowl. There was no sense of being dominated. It was more of a sense that we were digging our own grave early.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So is this.

These are not facts of any kind.

Ohio State has always been a football juggernaut, so has Florida State. And then there is Bama.....I guess a Clemson championship is your real claim to parity. 

Status quo has obviously changed since then but, in the end, the SEC is still usually the leader( or at the top) in draft picks, average recruiting rankings, bowl game results, individual accolades, revenue, etc. 

I mean hell, I'm tired of being top 10 in recruiting but only being top five in the conference. Being top ten nationally literally does us no good at all. 

So is this.

These are not facts of any kind

Everything you've argued about the SEC still being the premier conference is the same.  It's a difference of opinion man.

Parity across conferences.  This has literally been the whole discussion.  Not individual teams.

Again, draft picks, recruiting rankings, revenue, and individual accolades do not always equate to on-field success.  I've made that point several times, citing examples.

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

TWell it was obvious the whole second half, when the Panthers were only going backwards every drive that the lead was safe. Maybe you're just not very aware.

The Panthers had the ball in Broncos territory multiple times in the second half.  In fact, their first two drives of the half went 54 and 52 yards respectively, getting to the Broncos 26 and 28 yard lines.  Those drives ended in a missed FG and an INT.  Panthers also had a drive start at the 50 in the 4th quarter and got to the Broncos 21.  Carolina also outgained Denver 315- 194.  It's not like they failed to move the ball. 

But you're right.  I wasn't aware of what happened in the game :-\

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

The Panthers had the ball in Broncos territory multiple times in the second half.  In fact, their first two drives of the half went 54 and 52 yards respectively, getting to the Broncos 26 and 28 yard lines.  Those drives ended in a missed FG and an INT.  It's not like they failed to move the ball.  Panthers also had a drive start at the 50 in the 4th quarter.

But you're right.  I wasn't aware of what happened in the game :-\

It doesn't matter if you were aware or not. What matters is the Broncos defense frustrated and choked all signs of life from the Panthers in the second half.

Real "Facts:"

Hell, there were :no:only two drives of fifty plus yards since the first quarter as well. 

IMG_0453.PNG

Archived