Why no one should watch the Mayweather-McGregor fight

Grumps

Watched the Boise St Wash St game til halftime. Then, went to bed. It was tied at 10. Woke up during the middle of the night, checked my phone and find out Wash St won in triple OT.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Auburn85 said:

Watched the Boise St Wash St game til halftime. Then, went to bed. It was tied at 10. Woke up during the middle of the night, checked my phone and find out Wash St won in triple OT.

But Pac 12 football is boring :)

On 8/28/2017 at 5:53 PM, Brad_ATX said:

So even if the SEC's on-the field success is similar to other conferences the past four years, the SEC still leads with all of the above which indicates the SEC's reign has staying power and credibility.

"So even if the SEC's on-the field success is similar to other conferences the past four years"....This part right here is literally all that matters.  On field results are the only thing I've been talking about.  No one cares how much money a program is bringing in.

Here are some prime examples of money and draft picks not meaning a damn thing lately on the football field.  Rankings by revenue 2015-2016 academic year:

Texas A&M - #1
Texas - #2
LSU - #7
Florida - #8
Tennessee - #9
Auburn - #10 (we've been mediocre since 2013)
Kentucky - #13
Arkansas - #14
Georgia - #15

Meanwhile, here are some rankings of teams doing very well below some in this group:

Oklahoma - #6
Florida State - #18
Washington - #25
Clemson - #27

Except that the coaching error lasted three hours, the Utah State game was merely the sum of preparation meeting luck. False equivalency.

It's all part of the game.  A win is a win and an L is an L in the record books.  No one remembers that AU/Clemson game last year on a national level because Clemson did win.  Same goes for AU/USU in 2011.

It's not a cop out at all. SEC fatigue is real. And don't kid yourself if you think those people are more qualified to state their opinions just because they get paid to watch football.Your first link said the SEC was the number 4. WTF? Get out of here with that.

I'd say the people that get to observe practices, talk to coaches, and really know the ins and outs of the sport are better qualified than you or I.  And yeah, it said that the SEC was #4.  Big whoop.  Others say #1, others say #2 or #3.  It all goes to my point of more national parity and good football being played everywhere.

You seem to be taking this so personally, like I'm offending you by dare questioning the SEC's greatness.  I don't get the blind allegiance.  It feels like so many SEC fans are hanging their hat based on accomplishments from last decade and quit honestly, it's sad.  The football world has changed and that's actually a good and healthy thing for the overall state of college football.

Growing up all I heard was how the SEC was the best conference in the nation, and there were always excuses as to why they were not seen as such by major media outlets.

Then the late 00's and early 10's happened, The SEC was the best conference and everyone rejoiced because it validated all the things they had been saying for so long.

That the SEC is not far and away the best conference anymore doesn't matter to most fans, they believed it was the best before it actually was, and they believe it's the best after it's time has come-n-gone.

BTW, in my opinion the SEC is still a very strong conference. It's just not the dominating force it was earlier.

6 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Growing up all I heard was how the SEC was the best conference in the nation, and there were always excuses as to why they were not seen as such by major media outlets.

Then the late 00's and early 10's happened, The SEC was the best conference and everyone rejoiced because it validated all the things they had been saying for so long.

That the SEC is not far and away the best conference anymore doesn't matter to most fans, they believed it was the best before it actually was, and they believe it's the best after it's time has come-n-gone.

BTW, in my opinion the SEC is still a very strong conference. It's just not the dominating force it was earlier.

It's not dominating in the sense that there  is a clear gap in skill on the field across the board between any given conference. And a lot of that has to do with scandals and underwhelming results rocking the south's recent powers in Tennessee and Florida. 

However, the SEC still has bite to it. Even when Auburn is coming off an 8-5 season, they are still listed on ESPN as Clemson's toughest opponent all year, I'd like to know which conference can even sniff the SEC's dominance. Hell, if Auburn was their toughest opponent, then Bama would've been so as well along with UGA and possibly even LSU.  The Big 10 is waaay more overrated than the SEC is. They finished 3-7 in the bowls last year and just got crushed by Oklahoma right after putting up an 0hfer against Clemson last year in the playoffs. The ACC is a one team conference at the moment due to a key injury to FSU. And the Pac 12 is soft. Nuff said.

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It's not dominating in the sense that there  is a clear gap in skill on the field across the board between any given conference. And a lot of that has to do with scandals and underwhelming results rocking the south's recent powers in Tennessee and Florida. 

However, the SEC still has bite to it. Even when Auburn is coming off an 8-5 season, they are still listed on ESPN as Clemson's toughest opponent all year, I'd like to know which conference can even sniff the SEC's dominance. Hell, if Auburn was their toughest opponent, then Bama would've been so as well along with UGA and possibly even LSU.  The Big 10 is waaay more overrated than the SEC is. They finished 3-7 in the bowls last year and just got crushed by Oklahoma right after putting up an 0hfer against Clemson last year in the playoffs. The ACC is a one team conference at the moment due to a key injury to FSU. And the Pac 12 is soft. Nuff said.

You conveniently left out that the Pac 12, Big 10 and Big 12 are all 1-0 against the SEC this year, and all three conferences could easily be 2-0 against the SEC after this week:

Ole Miss at Cal

K-State at Vandy

Purdue at Mizzou

The SEC only holds a lead over the ACC right now in head to head matchups and that could change by year end with rivalry games.

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You conveniently left out that the Pac 12, Big 10 and Big 12 are all 1-0 against the SEC this year, and all three conferences could easily be 2-0 against the SEC after this week:

The games against Vandy, Ole Miss, and Mizou mean nothing to me. That's a pretty weak argument. Weak just like the " and they said the Pac 12 is boring" argument over an over time game between the mighty Cougars and the world beater Broncos.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The games against Vandy, Ole Miss, and Mizou mean nothing to me. That's a pretty weak argument. Weak just like the " and they said the Pac 12 is boring" argument over an over time game between the mighty Cougars and the world beater Broncos.

It's a weak argument to you because you only focus on the top teams.  I'm making a case for the entire conference (which is what this is about).  Vandy, Mizzou, Ole Miss, A&M, Arkansas, Florida....that's nearly 1/2 of the SEC that has already lost or could easily lose to other Power 5 schools this weekend.  Add in Auburn and we are at exactly half.  You can't make an argument for the conference being so superior and then say a quarter or potentially half of the teams don't matter in the debate.

And if I need another example of "and they said the Pac 12 is boring", I give you UCLA vs A&M.  Not sure about you, but I was damn entertained by that (and laughing hard).

7 hours ago, Mims44 said:

This is literally all I've been saying from the start.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Vandy, Mizzou, Ole Miss, A&M, Arkansas, Florida....that's nearly 1/2 of the SEC that has already lost or could easily lose to other Power 5 schools this weekend.  Add in Auburn and we are at exactly half. 

So the list of teams that lost to all other Power 5 teams across the nation includes three perennial bottom dwellers (one of which is marred by scandal,) along with another team that was decimated by 11 suspensions at the time of the game, and 4 total teams with coaches on ultra hot seats. Big whoop, I guess.

Archived