Why no one should watch the Mayweather-McGregor fight

Grumps

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

It doesn't matter if you were aware or not. What matters is the Broncos defense frustrated and choked all signs of life from the Panthers in the second half.

Real "Facts:"

Hell, there were :no:only two drives of fifty plus yards since the first quarter as well. 

This was your exact quote:

"Well it was obvious the whole second half, when the Panthers were only going backwards every drive"

So I point out that the Panthers had three drives end in Broncos territory in the second half and you try to change the narrative.  Well done.  The defense forced 4 turnovers.  That was the difference in the game (along with a big punt return).  But several of those turnovers came while the Panthers were threatening to score.  That's not choking the life out of a team.  That's being opportunistic.

Overall, it was an awful offensive game from both teams.  But statistically speaking, the Panthers O had a better day than Denver's, and it's not even close.  The turnovers killed them.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well it was obvious the whole second half, when the Panthers were only going backwards every drive"

"Talking about picking at nits"

With four straight three and outs to end the game, two turnovers, and one missed FG in the second half alone,  I'm not apologizing for thinking that there was no way in the world the Panthers would close such a short lead. 

Also, there were 2 turnovers in the second half. One came on a 52 yard drive. We were driving, but obviously with the defensive success that the Broncos had all game, scoring a TD was by no means a forgone conclusion. The other came from the strip sack of Cam near our own goal line in the fourth quarter.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Seriously, thank you for breaking my point down into this.  And yes, I'm a giant AU fan.  Live in Texas but will be making my way to four games this year (Mizzou, LSU, A&M, and Bama).  Have attended over 100 AU games since 2000 with at least 20-25 of those being away from JHS.  Also attended games in the Big 10, Pac 12, and Big 12 where I had no rooting interest.  Just love football.  Notre Dame/Michigan State in 2006 was one of the wildest games I've ever been to.

As for the college football overall thing, you're again 100% spot on.  My buddy is flying to Texas this weekend just so we can set up four TVs and watch as many games as possible Saturday to kick off the season.  We'll have a little bit of everything on....plus steaks and bourbon :)

Sounds great, usually fried chicken, ribs, and beer here.

Jack & Coke Steaks 2.jpg

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Again, draft picks, recruiting rankings, revenue, and individual accolades do not always equate to on-field success.  I've made that point several times, citing examples.

So even if the SEC's on-the field success is similar to other conferences the past four years, the SEC still leads with all of the above which indicates the SEC's reign has staying power and credibility.

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

And you don't get to excuse our loss to Clemson in one breath as "should have won" and then justify that game against Utah State in another.  We got lucky against Utah State.  The ball bounced just right on the onside kick.  Clemson got lucky last year that Gus had a 3 hour brain fart.  Those are the breaks.

Except that the coaching error lasted three hours, the Utah State game was merely the sum of preparation meeting luck. False equivalency. 

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is a cop-out for hearing something that doesn't fit your narrative.  These folks are far more qualified than your or I to talk about this, as they get paid to watch every conference every week.

It's not a cop out at all. SEC fatigue is real. And don't kid yourself if you think those people are more qualified to state their opinions just because they get paid to watch football.Your first link said the SEC was the number 4. WTF? Get out of here with that.

On 8/27/2017 at 11:04 AM, Auburn85 said:

Ha, that is true. When the Pac 12 games come on "late" Saturday nights, I can barely make it to halftime.

Probably one of my favorite things about the fall is those late kickoff games to wind down after Auburn has played. House quiet as can be, wife and all the kids in bed and me in my recliner at midnight watching the Utes smack around the Beavers. Yep. Good times.

32 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So even if the SEC's on-the field success is similar to other conferences the past four years, the SEC still leads with all of the above which indicates the SEC's reign has staying power and credibility.

Except that the coaching error lasted three hours, the Utah State game was merely the sum of preparation meeting luck. False equivalency. 

It's not a cop out at all. SEC fatigue is real. And don't kid yourself if you think those people are more qualified to state their opinions just because they get paid to watch football.Your first link said the SEC was the number 4. WTF? Get out of here with that.

"So even if the SEC's on-the field success is similar to other conferences the past four years"....This part right here is literally all that matters.  On field results are the only thing I've been talking about.  No one cares how much money a program is bringing in.

Here are some prime examples of money and draft picks not meaning a damn thing lately on the football field.  Rankings by revenue 2015-2016 academic year:

Texas A&M - #1
Texas - #2
LSU - #7
Florida - #8
Tennessee - #9
Auburn - #10 (we've been mediocre since 2013)
Kentucky - #13
Arkansas - #14
Georgia - #15

Meanwhile, here are some rankings of teams doing very well below some in this group:

Oklahoma - #6
Florida State - #18
Washington - #25
Clemson - #27

It's all part of the game.  A win is a win and an L is an L in the record books.  No one remembers that AU/Clemson game last year on a national level because Clemson did win.  Same goes for AU/USU in 2011.

I'd say the people that get to observe practices, talk to coaches, and really know the ins and outs of the sport are better qualified than you or I.  And yeah, it said that the SEC was #4.  Big whoop.  Others say #1, others say #2 or #3.  It all goes to my point of more national parity and good football being played everywhere.

You seem to be taking this so personally, like I'm offending you by dare questioning the SEC's greatness.  I don't get the blind allegiance.  It feels like so many SEC fans are hanging their hat based on accomplishments from last decade and quit honestly, it's sad.  The football world has changed and that's actually a good and healthy thing for the overall state of college football.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

This part right here is literally all that matters

It's all that "literally" matters to you only because you're hell bent on believing the SEC  isn't number one. Any reasonable person would see the extreme successes in all of the above as indicators of conference quality in conjunction with on-the-field success. 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's all part of the game.

Which contradicts your "we should have lost" statement. 

And I'm done. Stick around for the next couple of weeks ?

You seem to be taking this so personally, like I'm offending you by dare questioning the SEC's greatness.  I don't get the blind allegiance.  It feels like so many SEC fans are hanging their hat based on accomplishments from last decade and quit honestly, it's sad.  The football world has changed and that's actually a good and healthy thing for the overall state of college football.

I am not taking this any way. I don't see the changes that you're seeing. You've done nothing but pass along anecdotal  events as though they're broad, everchanging events when they're not.  And I also don't see how you can justify saying things like total draft picks and recruiting rankings don't matter at all when they're clear symptoms of perpetual conference superiority. 

If there was such conference parity, the SEC would not be kicking ass in these little metrics every year. 

23 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'd say the people that get to observe practices, talk to coaches, and really know the ins and outs of the sport are better qualified than you or I.

Unless these "people" observed practices and talked to coaches from every conference, then they're still not qualified any more than you or me. Try again.

45 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I am not taking this any way. I don't see the changes that you're seeing. You've done nothing but pass along anecdotal  events as though they're broad, everchanging events when they're not.  And I also don't see how you can justify saying things like total draft picks and recruiting rankings don't matter at all when they're clear symptoms of perpetual conference superiority. 

If there was such conference parity, the SEC would not be kicking ass in these little metrics every year. 

Unless these "people" observed practices and talked to coaches from every conference, then they're still not qualified any more than you or me. Try again.

And I also don't see how you can justify saying things like total draft picks and recruiting rankings don't matter at all when they're clear symptoms of perpetual conference superiority. 

I can justify by pointing to wins/losses and final year rankings, which I have repeatedly done.  That's all anyone cares about at the end of the day.  Pointing to recruiting rankings and money is grasping at straws when the on-field argument is one you can't win.  Over the last four years, the ACC, SEC, and Big 10 have played at a pretty even level.   Here's some proof.  These numbers represent the amount of teams that have placed in the Top 10 of the final AP poll of the year from 2013 - 2016.

BIG 10  - 10 (1 national title)
SEC - 9  (1 national title)
ACC  - 7  (2 national titles)
PAC 12  - 6
BIG 12  - 6

Two group of five schools also finished in the top 10 during this span (UCF - 2013, Houston - 2015).

And if we want to look at last season, our most recent point of data, I point you to this:

RECORD AGAINST FELLOW POWER-5 teams (including Notre Dame and Brigham Young) in non-conference games.

ACC:  18-10

Pac-12:  12-9

Big Ten:  10-11

Big 12:  7-8

SEC:  11-14

They do.  It's their job as national college football writers.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I can justify by pointing to wins/losses and final year rankings, which I have repeatedly done. 

But can you really? The Big 10( media favorite was 3-7 in the post season. Where are the on the field results?

The SEC wont always have down years but they have yet to show signs of slowing down and stockpiling. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/season-not-sec-still-best-conference-america-2016/amp/

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Last time I checked, the "number of draft" picks doesn't show up on the scoreboard.  :-\

Weak, even for you. :-\

But can you really? The Big 10( media favorite was 3-7 in the post season. Where are the on the field results?

The SEC wont always have down years but they have yet to show signs of slowing down and stockpiling. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/season-not-sec-still-best-conference-america-2016/amp/

Seriously?  Re-read my last post.  It's full of numbers showing on-field results, including Top 10 finishes and a better winning percentage against Power 5 teams than the SEC had last year.  Those aren't made up.  Those are wins and losses on the field.

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Last time I checked, the "number of draft" picks doesn't show up on the scoreboard.  :-\

Apparently they do.  I've been watching football wrong all these years.  Guess I should give Bama the SEC title now since they likely have the most draft picks out of anyone.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Weak, even for you. :-\

You seem spend most of your time on this forum trying to violate this rule:  

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you aren't entitled to your own facts."

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Apparently they do.  I've been watching football wrong all these years.  Guess I should give Bama the SEC title now since they likely have the most draft picks out of anyone.

:hellyeah:   Well, hell, if they are the best in the SEC, then they have to be best in the country.    By definition.

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Seriously?  Re-read my last post.  It's full of numbers showing on-field results,

So was mine..."seriously?"

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And the petulant snarkiness doesn't help.

"Irony"

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You're not even original.  :no:

But at least you know to copy your master. 

I was mocking you. There is a difference. :no:

So back to the fight. It was boring in many ways and predictable. But, it was a calculated effort from Mayweather. Anyone paying attention saw it coming. 

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

So back to the fight. It was boring in many ways and predictable. But, it was a calculated effort from Mayweather. Anyone paying attention saw it coming. 

One of the many reasons I didn't buy it.  I also love that the arena was only 75% full, while GGG vs Canelo has been sold out for months in that same arena.

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Good call. Mayweather kept his composure, he was calm and collected and the experience was on his side. It turned out about like I thought it would have. 

Archived