Humble Observations from AU-OM Tape

Gowebb11

@AU64 i think youre taking/looking at this the wrong way. I agree- get some 2/3s in game, but where was malik willis?

Sure be conservative and control the clock, but with the way we played the first half we still shouldve moved the ball. So if we needed to pass bc they were loading the box then lets pass. If youre worried ab pass pro from the backup rbs then that wouldve been the time to let them gain that experience. 

We’re all happy we won, and won easily , but Its good for a team to play 4 whole qtrs. Offense is a rhythm, dont want to lose that. 

2 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

@AU64 i think youre taking/looking at this the wrong way. I agree- get some 2/3s in game, but where was malik willis?

Sure be conservative and control the clock, but with the way we played the first half we still shouldve moved the ball. So if we needed to pass bc they were loading the box then lets pass. If youre worried ab pass pro from the backup rbs then that wouldve been the time to let them gain that experience

We’re all happy we won, and won easily , but Its good for a team to play 4 whole qtrs. Offense is a rhythm, dont want to lose that. 

Would have been nice to see more of MW....but I notice OM had the ball most of the 4th quarter...and from looking at the PBP  Willis was the QB all but a couple plays for AU....might have helped if the D had not given up a 75 yard drive through a good part of the quarter. 

Guess we just disagree but no point in having MW pass the ball with the second unit on the field with him.  They did a pretty good job of controlling the clock and got a FG along the way.  JMO but a good job to use up 3 minutes and close out the game after getting the on side kick. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

The point is to win the game, don't make any big mistakes that let the other team back into the game....so just keep the ball and run the clock down.    I guess I'm the only one but playing conservative to win the game. and get a bunch of the 2s and 3s into the game.   So we win by 21......sure can't see a problem with that..

BUT....I suspect there are a bunch of folks out there who are not gonna be happy if bama happens to score more against one of our opponents than we do.  It's like AU has to beat two teams each week.....the one on the field ...and bama too .......and can't be happy otherwise.....which in my view is pretty sad. .

History may be the wrong word. Thinking more of the FSU NC game. Seemed like the foot came off the pedal when we had them on the ropes. Maybe nothing more than opponent adjustment. Different game in just a few years. Remember when up by 14 and the "B" team ran in?

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

History may be the wrong word. Thinking more of the FSU NC game. Seemed like the foot came off the pedal when we had them on the ropes. Maybe nothing more than opponent adjustment. Different game in just a few years. Remember when up by 14 and the "B" team ran in?

:)   No....we never give the opponent for doing anything well or right....it's always our screw up or coaching deficiencies.....don't cha know....   But you are right....the game is not over 'til it's over....even with 0,1 second on the clock. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

:)   No....we never give the opponent for doing anything well or right....it's always our screw up or coaching deficiencies.....don't cha know....   But you are right....the game is not over 'til it's over....even with 0,1 second on the clock. 

0,1, someone may look up and see nothing opponent-wise than "fat boys"......you know the "rest of the story".

You guys do know Gus has a relationship with McGriff. It possibly played a role in his thinking or maybe it did not. Regardless the game was in hand and just get out with the win with no injury to your QB or his backup. Not to mention Ole Miss was scrappy as hell in second half to make the score look better. 

9 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

You guys do know Gus has a relationship with McGriff. It possibly played a role in his thinking or maybe it did not. Regardless the game was in hand and just get out with the win with no injury to your QB or his backup. Not to mention Ole Miss was scrappy as hell in second half to make the score look better. 

If you saw their sideline they were fired up in the second half. Definitely not the same Ole Miss that packed it up before half time against Bama and I suspect if the interim staff can find that fire they have the raw talent to get to six wins, they have a very winnable schedule ahead. Can't blame Ole Miss for out performing the Auburn benchwarmers whose names most of us didn't even recognize

Nobody is upset with the win. Or that we "only" won by 3 TDs. But I can understand fans wanting to see the team play well and dominate an opponent for 4 quarters. Post 2013 I think you can count on one hand how many conference games that we played well for a full 4 quarters. Arkansas last year and LSU 2014 are 2 I can think of right off the bat. 

I'd like to see us try to play as well as possible for as long as possible instead of taking the foot off the gas. If the first time you're asking your team to play tough for a full 4 quarters is in the heat of an important conference game you've done your team a disservice as a HC.

Also, @AU64, I don't understand where you're coming from by saying there's no point in letting Malik Willis throw the rock in mop up duty. Those are the guys he will be playing with when it's his time to be QB in a few years. The point would be getting him valuable game experience with his teammates that he will be playing with on Saturdays for the future. And IMO, drilling even deeper, if JS gets hurt, forcing us to play a QB that has barely thrown the ball in any game is just awful foresight IMO. Surely you see value in that, no?

Archived