Question about Stidham against Arkansas

Eagle Eye 7

Did anyone else notice that at least twice early in the third quarter I believe, I was sure I saw Stidum go to the line and change a call without looking at the sideline. Just wonder if after the discussions this week Chip and Gus decided to free up his reigns a little or if Jarrett just checked out on his own.

I did not notice. But I am of the opinion Gus reacts to the previous weeks public criticism. So I wouldn't doubt what you saw, and would assume it's just another press reaction. Hate to be negative all the time, but this is the way I see it. He sure has held out on not letting qb2 throw the ball- no amount of criticism will achieve that I'm afraid.

Our offense doesn’t allow QB audibles that aren’t called from the sideline.  

This is not an issue as most “audibles” are called from coaches at all levels.  

Peyton Manning was the exception not the rule.  He was his own offensive coordinator.  Similar to Lebron is his own head coach.

17 hours ago, jAUSon said:

I did not notice. But I am of the opinion Gus reacts to the previous weeks public criticism. So I wouldn't doubt what you saw, and would assume it's just another press reaction. Hate to be negative all the time, but this is the way I see it. He sure has held out on not letting qb2 throw the ball- no amount of criticism will achieve that I'm afraid.

The booing on 4th and <1 a few weeks ago to change his mind and waste a timeout was about as......I'm not sure how to put it cleanly but I don't want that guy like that leading AU's football program.

17 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Absolutely!  If anyone had a single doubt about that, then him losing the clipboard was proof. 

I agree. Stidham is a bright enough guy at this point to be changing plays from what he sees from the D. I'm not saying turn him loose, but why not give him more chances to audible out of plays that don't appear to be potential gains versus losses? Malik Willis should be throwing the ball at least 5 or 6 tines when he is in the game. I'm new to the board and have no idea if my comments can be viewed. Any feedback would be great. Thanks! 

10 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

I agree. Stidham is a bright enough guy at this point to be changing plays from what he sees from the D. I'm not saying turn him loose, but why not give him more chances to audible out of plays that don't appear to be potential gains versus losses? Malik Willis should be throwing the ball at least 5 or 6 tines when he is in the game. I'm new to the board and have no idea if my comments can be viewed. Any feedback would be great. Thanks! 

Welcome to the board. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it is very rare to allow any QBs change plays in college.  Even seasoned veterans don't have that in most college games.  I think a lot of people still forget that JS is still young and doesn't even have a full season under his belt.  It is very unlikely that he has enough experience to understand all the possibilities from a defensive alignment.  Heck, many would argue that CGM can't even adjust from the obvious aligments.

As for MW getting more passing, I am just happy he is getting playing time against SEC teams.  We have not had that in the past.  However, I don't think he is getting enough plays to really see 5-6 throwing attempts.  Based on our current averages that would put him to have from 12-20 plays.  That is typically 2-4 series.  That is a tough ask for most teams to give their backups that many reps.

• WarTiger changed the title to Question about Stidham against Arkansas

Thank u IKeel 75. I def see your point. Stidham is very young as the QB position goes. I do think he is a cerebral QB though and if Malzahn doesn't ruin him, he will get even better in the year to come. As for Malik, he does remind me of NM, but a step or two slower. Would like to see his arm a bit more, but your point about  the number of series needed for throwing makes sense. Still, up by 30 let him make some 6 to 8 yard crossing route throws just to get him adjusted. I think we have JS for two more years unless next season is huge. 

I gotta disagree with the most QB's don't audible rhetoric.  It simply is not true.  Most teams use audibles in certain situations and they have prepared for them throughout the week.  It is as simple as if we have this play called and they give us this look then we are gonna run this play or this will be the hot read, etc.  It is quite common, just not at Gus' Auburn because we have never had a true QB coach on staff, until this year, to teach them how to play the position at the college level.

My sentiments exactly. We have a very good QB w high potential. He's def not the runner that Cam or Nick was, but does have a better touch on the ball. Honestly, I believe it's time to move way away from the up tempo O. Time to go back and run up the middle w Bubba and use KJ and KM for the sidelines and zone reads. NCM basically catches the two balls thrown to him each game. He has no problem w separation,  but the play calling is not there including him enough. Also, do you really think GA and Bana will be fooled by the Eli Stove end arounds after the first one? A big key is hitting receivers in the slot and allowing them to make something of it. Thoughts? We have a decent receiving corp. 

Archived