Carlton Davis not playing in Bowl

norcuron

"Illness,  sent home"

Grateful for his contributions to the team this year. Best of luck in the future.

PLEASE put at least a link up when posting something like this.  Prefer the actual article to validate the thread.

https://scout.com/college/auburn/Article/Sunday-Auburn-Football-News-Notes-Quotes-Discussion-112967688

Auburn All-American Out For Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl

Auburn will be without one of its top defensive players on Monday

Atlanta, Ga.--Missing the week of practices in Atlanta as Auburn preps for the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl against undefeated UCF, junior All-American cornerback Carlton Davis won't play for the Tigers on Monday, Coach Gus Malzahn confirmed the day before the game.

"Carlton Davis will not play in our bowl game," Malzahn said. "He had an illness in the week that has not gotten better. (He) went home yesterday and I just felt like he would be better off there with the illness he has."

Projected as a possible first round selection in the upcoming NFL Draft, Davis is expected to turn pro.

His loss for Monday's game is a big blow for the Tigers as they get ready to face the nation's top scoring offense. UCF averages 49.4 points per game this season with quarterback McKenzie Milton throwing for 316 yards per game with 35 total touchdowns. 

Without Carlton Davis, Auburn will go with sophomores Jamel Dean and Javaris Davis at the cornerback position. Javaris Davis was in an orange non-contact jersey during Saturday's practice, but on Sunday Malzahn said he would be ready to go.

"We do have some depth," Malzahn said. "Javaris is one guy that has experience. He's healthy. Matter of fact, all of our other guys will be ready to go. That's a good thing. This rest has been very good to heal some of those guys up that were banged up in the last game. I mean, obviously Carlton is a great player. He's done a super job for us this year. Any time you lose a player like that, you know -- but the good thing is we do have some depth on the back end. We've got some experience on the back end."

Auburn could also use sophomore Jeremiah Dinson and freshman Jordyn Peters at cornerback if needed.

Kickoff for Monday's game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. central and can be seen on ESPN.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, norcuron said:

"Illness,  sent home"

Grateful for his contributions to the team this year. Best of luck in the future.

Sent home huh haha. Thanks for all your help Carlton. Never forgetting your lock down abilities the year we almost lost to Jacksonville State.

I understand. It sucks and there should be rules about it, but ya gotta think in his shoes. He has a shot to take care of his Mom and Dad and the rest of his family by signing a contract healthy. 1 freak play in a game against a non-five that rolls your knee and tears an ACL/MCL/LCL or all 3 you lost millions of $'s. Its that simple. (Take care of my family or risk it all for nothing) High drafts are doing it all the time. I hate it. But I understand it.

The worst part is that our defense got called out and he’s still going to sit out. Carlton has been the man for us but I like players that have more competitive fire than that.

5 minutes ago, norcuron said:

He will compete for millions of $

I am frustrated as well but I understand.

Where does this end?   Will players start skipping the last game also in the future?  Maybe if the team is mediocre, they skip the last two games and the bowl game?  

I understand, but don't like this one bit.    Even the one and done basketball players play out the full season.   I know many are in the big dance, but still...

8 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Where does this end?   Will players start skipping the last game also in the future?  Maybe if the team is mediocre, they skip the last two games and the bowl game?  

I understand, but don't like this one bit.    Even the one and done basketball players play out the full season.   I know many are in the big dance, but still...

It won’t end because this is business. 

6 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Agree with this. The thing for the team and fans to consider is that it's best for the player to go than to play "not to get hurt" by not giving it his best. That doesn't help anyone. Just give me a guy that wants to be out there. 

I CAN say I have seen even more valuable players and higher draft stock willing to play till the end this year. It shows character and devotion. But if the man is sick he is sick. Cant have the whole team with the flu out there. Right? Maybe he is still dinged up and don't want to put on a halfass show before the draft. I dunno. Still wish him the best of luck. He knows where he came from. He knows who put him on the stage he stands on.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

It won’t end because this is business. 

"You know, you're a lousy softball player Jack!"

6 minutes ago, Beaker said:

"You know, you're a lousy softball player DAG!"

Bahaha I hate being the bad person in these threads. Wait a minute? Who am I kidding . I am the bad guy. I understand the fans frustration , but honestly this is business. When people see opportunity to make millions MOST times they are going to do what’s best for them and their family. Coaches and players alike seem to understand that. 

So was he sent home because he was sick and a risk to get others sick?   

Or sent home because he just now made his decision and is screwing the scheme and screwing the team, the day before the game?  

Unless someone has INSIDE info, I tend to shy away from fake news and 'the sky is falling' rumors or CD's reason being he doesn't want to jeopardize his NFL draft status by playing..

And why would GM not just tell the truth, if it was CD just bowing out and not that he is sick?  GM normally stays tight lipped when it involves an injury, which either of the possible reasons CD is not playing involve injuries...

4 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

But if he knew he was going pro, why go to atl to only participate for a couple of days? Why not just stay home? 

And miss out on all the perks of going to a decent bowl game?

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

So was he sent home because he was sick and a risk to get others sick?   

Or sent home because he just now made his decision and is screwing the scheme and screwing the team, the day before the game?  

Because he is sick. Btw, the Espn report doesn’t say he was sent home only that he went home. It easily could’ve been his decision 

It’s his birthday today. 

6 minutes ago, norcuron said:

And miss out on all the perks of going to a decent bowl game?

I have no idea if you are being serious. Maybe because I’m from atl I just don’t see all the activities as perks. That $300 Visa card though....

3 minutes ago, norcuron said:

So he didn't even wanna watch his team mates play and cheer them on the sidelines?

I don’t know . I don’t have the answer for that. What I can say is the probability of his teammates taking it personal like some of the fans on here is probably relatively low .

1 minute ago, AidiAU said:

It’s his birthday today. 

I have no idea if you are being serious. Maybe because I’m from atl I just don’t see all the activities as perks. That $300 Visa card though....

Hang out one last time with his buddies. Do the fun stuff ect. He is a kid looking at leaving his life and going pro. I would hang around as long as I could.

7 minutes ago, norcuron said:

So he didn't even wanna watch his team mates play and cheer them on the sidelines? Agent activity?

One thing to consider is sitting on the sidelines when you are sick is not the best thing to do to get over an illness.  The leap in logic in this thread is amazing.  I wish Davis the best in the future, next man up.

This is one of those times in the year where people seriously don’t understand how life changing being drafted in the top two rounds is. Carlton is playing it safe, let him. Support him. 

4 minutes ago, norcuron said:

If I was just sick, not going pro. and not making professional  arrangements that may jeopardize the team. As a leader I would be there for the guys that made me look so damn good. Sick or not I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Do you know that he is making professional arrangements?  If not, this is the leap in logic I am referring to.  His leadership role at Auburn in done.  Next man up.

Archived