Carlton Davis not playing in Bowl

norcuron

@Auburn2Eugene, since I don't bother to visit those sites that allow rumor and speculation to be presented as fact, I guess that terminates the discussion.  I'll believe that Davis is a young man of integrity that would not let his team mates down until I have solid proof otherwise.

About your son and my daughter: I doubt that in either case there was some reason to hold out hope of a quick recovery due to an impending event. A week ago I wouldn't have bet money that my daughter would still be sick today, but here we are and she's still sick. Davis practiced Tuesday. There was no way to say he was definitely out back then, unless one had the gist of foretelling the future.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yep. And the concussion from the SECCG. Think both Davis and Gus/AU made the decision for Davis to not play. He is declaring for the NFL. Pretty stand up of Gus and the AU team. 

Thought so. :hellyeah:

4 hours ago, GoAU said:

I prefer coaches to honor their agreements too.  However there are clearly cases where it is a conflict of interest for a coach to stay.   In the case of the player, he won't be playing for a team we are competing against in the future, the coach might be.  For example, I don't blame Mullen, UF or MSU if any party doesn't want him to stick around for the bowl game.  In the case of UCF, Frost and Nebraska I respect all 3 parties for allowing him to finish out the season.

If memory serves me right, Gus was originally going to finish out the season / bowl game but Arkansas State changed their mind and wanted him to go.

That is not accurate. He vacated the HC gig at Arkansas State to concentrate 100 percent on Auburn, which was the appropriate move. Even so, It is the fact that he was negotiating and accepted another job during their season. He was announced as the Auburn coach right after the championship game. All those commits he had coming to Arkansas State, he just bounced from. All his original players he had, he told he wasn’t going to leave and then he did (insider info). He didn’t even stay a full year. You can’t take a blind eye to one and denounce the other. Anyway, Agree to disagree. Game day! WDE

He traveled with the team, so the plan was for him to play.  It seems much more likely that he is actually sick!

CD will almost certainly being going pro, so this is a good opportunity for some guys to step up for next year. They will be tested today.  

War Eagle Carlton!  Get better ASAP!  And rep Auburn well in the NFL!

It is flu season tbh. He's probably just sick.  I just got over mine. Haha. 

Don't know anything about Davis's condition, however football is a business (like any other business) and we fans simply get caught up in the team thing. From the coaches to the players everything has changed since I was in school. Now, recruiting starts with the big announcement on ESPN. Coaches and their agents work the various teams for the max benefits. Even abandon the team during bowl time. Its an "I" thing now with the "business" and yes somewhere there is an "I" in team that wasn't there 40 years ago. "I" just got to get used to it. Davis may actually be sick, only he and the coaches know. Going forward I believe we are going to see entire draft classes set out these non-playoff bowls.

I'm not mad at the man.  He is doing what he thinks and likely has been advised to do.  I hope the best for him. Just don't understand why something in him didn't wanna be there for our men during this game. Not on the field if he was sick, or even ineligible. To stand there in street clothes on the sidelines for leadership and inspiration. 

I do believe he will be another of countless  examples that if you work hard. YOU MAKE IT TO THE BIGTIME AT AU!

1 hour ago, auskull said:

Don't know anything about Davis's condition, however football is a business (like any other business) and we fans simply get caught up in the team thing. From the coaches to the players everything has changed since I was in school. Now, recruiting starts with the big announcement on ESPN. Coaches and their agents work the various teams for the max benefits. Even abandon the team during bowl time. Its an "I" thing now with the "business" and yes somewhere there is an "I" in team that wasn't there 40 years ago. "I" just got to get used to it. Davis may actually be sick, only he and the coaches know. Going forward I believe we are going to see entire draft classes set out these non-playoff bowls.

If they don't get with the NFL and make a deal, that is EXACTLY what you will see.

If Davis was healthy enough to play then he should have played. I have much more respect for Tre Williams who was willing to play in his last game as an Auburn Tiger with one arm then someone that is just looking out for themselves (if that was the case). His absence really hurt us in this game.

On 12/31/2017 at 11:02 AM, Beaker said:

Where does this end?   Will players start skipping the last game also in the future?  Maybe if the team is mediocre, they skip the last two games and the bowl game?  

I understand, but don't like this one bit.    Even the one and done basketball players play out the full season.   I know many are in the big dance, but still...

This is why kids need to go as Juniors if they are healthy once the season is over.  If not, it is only human nature to play your Senior season trying to protect yourself.

I truly believe he was sick. He traveled with the team and was sent home after it was apparent he wouldn't be well enough to play. I was sick for over a week this holiday season and I rarely ever get sick. It's apparently been pretty bad in east Alabama this year (and of course that's where I was when I came down with it).

I wish him luck in his future endeavors. I care very little for the NFL so I just cheer on our Auburn men individually once they get there. :)

Archived