Offseason Coaching Changes

WarEagle2423

Just now, AU64 said:

You can't brag much Doc....NC mountains have been visited by the Jet Stream a couple times this year with 30-40 mph winds all day and we've had chill factor below zero off and on several days in the past few weeks. 

You are right my friend. It got down to 3 degrees a few weeks ago.  We rarely have power bills over $225.00. My last one was $328.00.  We have 2 heat pump units (4 ton and 2.5 ton units) I had to put the 4 ton unit on emergency for a week to keep the house at 67 degrees. I draw the line at 67!  We are heating and cooling 3300 square feet of house. We shut off the upstairs that is controlled by the 2.5 ton unit and reduce the square footage of heating by 985 sqft. My guess is that I am looking at around $230.00 for the next bill. One good thing here is that once mid to late March hits, we only use ceiling fans except for maybe 3 weeks in the summer. I have about 7-8 months of power bills in the $130.00 range.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

We got no snow and can still golf, you get one helluva roll off the tee.

Been there done it ............................lol once played a round on Christmas Eve in the snow

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

You are right my friend. It got down to 3 degrees a few weeks ago.  We rarely have power bills over $225.00. My last one was $328.00.  We have 2 heat pump units (4 ton and 2.5 ton units) I had to put the 4 ton unit on emergency for a week to keep the house at 67 degrees. I draw the line at 67!  We are heating and cooling 3300 square feet of house. We shut off the upstairs that is controlled by the 2.5 ton unit and reduce the square footage of heating by 985 sqft. My guess is that I am looking at around $230.00 for the next bill. One good thing here is that once mid to late March hits, we only use ceiling fans except for maybe 3 weeks in the summer. I have about 7-8 months of power bills in the $130.00 range.

My recent Duke bill was about 200  but I had another 150 for my propane backup during a spell of 10-15 nights....but I splurge and keep thermostat at 68-70 during the days and 67 at night..  I will have a couple months of that and then it eases off.  

We have an older house with about 50% of the outside walls being big single pane windows so no surprise when the big bills come in the winter....but....as long as I have money in the bank I refuse to be cold...grew up on the Gulf Coast and never got used to cold weather. 

Spring through early fall....usually about the same as yours....so it balances OK. 

Wonder if there will be any more coaching changes in the conference (coordinators or assistants) after signing day.    The early signing period kind of took some of the steam out of the practice of coaches leaving immediately after the classes are signed. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

My recent Duke bill was about 200  but I had another 150 for my propane backup during a spell of 10-15 nights....but I splurge and keep thermostat at 68-70 during the days and 67 at night..  I will have a couple months of that and then it eases off.  

We have an older house with about 50% of the outside walls being big single pane windows so no surprise when the big bills come in the winter....but....as long as I have money in the bank I refuse to be cold...grew up on the Gulf Coast and never got used to cold weather. 

Spring through early fall....usually about the same as yours....so it balances OK. 

Wonder if there will be any more coaching changes in the conference (coordinators or assistants) after signing day.    The early signing period kind of took some of the steam out of the practice of coaches leaving immediately after the classes are signed. 

My gut is that we are set with our coaching positions for 2018 and hopefully beyond. We have a very good defensive staff as well as a solid offensive staff.  I really like CCL and hope Gus will give him more latitude in 2018. I think Gus is little by little letting CCL take more control of the offense.  This is hard for Gus to do and I sort of understand where he is coming from. However, I think if Gus can give even 15-20% more control to CCL for 2018, our offense will be sort of like out basketball team this year!

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Been there done it ............................lol once played a round on Christmas Eve in the snow

Our golf course was closed from December 8 through current due to the snow and cold weather. We had maybe 4 days during this time that it got over 45 degrees. I will play golf if it is over 40 degrees. 

56 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

you really need another heat source for extreme cold. to be efficient anyway. we use the ng logs but not often. if i ever build a house i will have a real fireplace. not as practical but i love a fire.

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Christ almighty I would die....60 at the moment down here in Fl.

I'll be happy to help you pack

21 hours ago, alexava said:

you really need another heat source for extreme cold. to be efficient anyway. we use the ng logs but not often. if i ever build a house i will have a real fireplace. not as practical but i love a fire.

we actually have 2 gas fireplaces with a 250 gallon LP in ground gas tank setup. The problem with this is that gas is running $2.29.00  a gallon. The fireplaces suck up gas at an alarming rate. We use it when it gets really, really cold. They help some, but it is cheaper just to run the unit in emergency mode when it gets down to near single digit temps outside. Our house has R-24 insulation  in the walls and R-38 in the ceiling. We have double pane windows and Heat pumps with Seer ratings of 15 of which is decent. The units are 11 years old and one went out about 3 years ago that my home warranty company covered thank the Lord!  

I want to downsize asap, but my wife wants to wait until she turns 65 that will be 5 years down the road. All I want is around 1500 sqft with 3 Bedrooms and 2.5 baths. all on a single level. At this point in my life, I could care less who I impress! 

23 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Question: When you say that you "had to put the 4 ton unit in emergency mode", do you mean that you made the decision to manually switch to e-heat and took the heat pump/compressor entirely out of the equation? If so, I'd advise that you should never actually do that.  On a properly functioning system, eheat will kick in automatically to assist the heat pump when the return air temp difference shows that the total load is beyond the heat pump's ability to keep up alone.  However, the combo of the heat pump plus eheat is always more efficient than eheat alone.  Never switch to eheat mode alone if your heat pump is in proper working order.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

want to downsize asap, but my wife wants to wait until she turns 65 that will be 5 years down the road. All I want is around 1500 sqft with 3 Bedrooms and 2.5 baths. all on a single level. At this point in my life, I could care less who I impress! 

We mostly live on one level of a two level house about 1300 SF per level...2BR suites on each end of the house that sits on a ridge line.  Problem is that is has almost 400SF of single pane windows that would cost a fortune to replace.  So we just enjoy the killer view and consider the big power bill in the winter as a reasonable tradeoff.   Sounds like you have a good plan...and assume you will stay in the mountains. Hard to beat.

Our e-heat is propane and works as CleCo describes.....usually kicks in around 30-35 degrees. 

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

we actually have 2 gas fireplaces with a 250 gallon LP in ground gas tank setup. The problem with this is that gas is running $2.29.00  a gallon. The fireplaces suck up gas at an alarming rate. We use it when it gets really, really cold. They help some, but it is cheaper just to run the unit in emergency mode when it gets down to near single digit temps outside. Our house has R-24 insulation  in the walls and R-38 in the ceiling. We have double pane windows and Heat pumps with Seer ratings of 15 of which is decent. The units are 11 years old and one went out about 3 years ago that my home warranty company covered thank the Lord!  

I want to downsize asap, but my wife wants to wait until she turns 65 that will be 5 years down the road. All I want is around 1500 sqft with 3 Bedrooms and 2.5 baths. all on a single level. At this point in my life, I could care less who I impress! 

We had a tank (lp) at other house 1700sf. We didn’t turn heat pump off just used the logs to keep the emergency heat strips from kicking on. I think heat pump technology is efficient if average temperature is 37* and up. I hated getting that tank filled but I knew it was cheaper than electric emergency heat. My current house is 3100sf. Two levels. The natural gas logs and water heater on gas from utility department same bill so I really don’t hesitate to use it. My house nearly doubled and utilities bills barely changed. I need to re blow the attic at old house but unless the renter complains I’ll let it ride. If I didn’t have kids at home the smaller house would suit me perfect. I’m not impressing anyone either. 

42 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We mostly live on one level of a two level house about 1300 SF per level...2BR suites on each end of the house that sits on a ridge line.  Problem is that is has almost 400SF of single pane windows that would cost a fortune to replace.  So we just enjoy the killer view and consider the big power bill in the winter as a reasonable tradeoff.   Sounds like you have a good plan...and assume you will stay in the mountains. Hard to beat.

Our e-heat is propane and works as CleCo describes.....usually kicks in around 30-35 degrees. 

One thing good we have is the tank-less hot water system. It runs on electricity and LP gas. This is the primary usage of the LP gas when not running the fireplace. We have really clean mountain water and the system stays clean and free if trash that a lot of water systems have. We have Duke Power of which is decent for the most with rates and all. Every time they raise rates, I figure out a way to save electricity to counter their robbery!

55 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Question: When you say that you "had to put the 4 ton unit in emergency mode", do you mean that you made the decision to manually switch to e-heat and took the heat pump/compressor entirely out of the equation? If so, I'd advise that you should never actually do that.  On a properly functioning system, eheat will kick in automatically to assist the heat pump when the return air temp difference shows that the total load is beyond the heat pump's ability to keep up alone.  However, the combo of the heat pump plus eheat is always more efficient than eheat alone.  Never switch to eheat mode alone if your heat pump is in proper working order.

I will remember this in the future. I am sure it will save me some $$$!

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

I will remember this in the future. I am sure it will save me some $$$!

My wife hates the heat pump....she like warm air coming from the vents....so she is happier when the temp is 30 outside than when it's 40 outside.....and I have to keep an eye on her to keep her from kicking the e-heat on manually to get the warm air. 

Like now....auto "heat" is running,..... temp outside is 50 and thermostat is on 68 and she is cold because of cold' air coming out of the vents....:-\

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

My wife hates the heat pump....she like warm air coming from the vents....so she is happier when the temp is 30 outside than when it's 40 outside.....and I have to keep an eye on her to keep her from kicking the e-heat on manually to get the warm air. 

Like now....auto "heat" is running,..... temp outside is 50 and thermostat is on 68 and she is cold because of cold' air coming out of the vents....:-\

Are you near Suluda?

Just now, doc4aday said:

Are you near Suluda?

Tryon....5 miles as the crow flies...

18 hours ago, doc4aday said:

One thing good we have is the tank-less hot water system. It runs on electricity and LP gas. This is the primary usage of the LP gas when not running the fireplace. We have really clean mountain water and the system stays clean and free if trash that a lot of water systems have. We have Duke Power of which is decent for the most with rates and all. Every time they raise rates, I figure out a way to save electricity to counter their robbery!

Tankless is the way we went too. We still have to let it run 30 seconds or so to get hot water but it never runs out with 2 showers and a washer or dishwasher running. We put ours outside because space is at a premium in our 1300 square foot house. We downsized like you mentioned you want to do about 3 years ago. Didn't need the space anymore and the best part is that we could swing 15 year mortgage instead so we can have it paid off by the time we are ready to retire. 

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Tankless is the way we went too. We still have to let it run 30 seconds or so to get hot water but it never runs out with 2 showers and a washer or dishwasher running. We put ours outside because space is at a premium in our 1300 square foot house. We downsized like you mentioned you want to do about 3 years ago. Didn't need the space anymore and the best part is that we could swing 15 year mortgage instead so we can have it paid off by the time we are ready to retire. 

We just upsized. Like, a week ago. We're already wondering what the hell we've done. 

33 minutes ago, gr82be said:

where in MS. do you live? I lived in the Amory area for about 5 years many, many years ago.

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

Tryon....5 miles as the crow flies...

looks like we are in for some snow and ice Saturday night. I guess it will come your way as well.

5 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

where in MS. do you live? I lived in the Amory area for about 5 years many, many years ago.

That's unbelievable. It's definitely a small world because we live in Amory. It's like Mayberry to us. My wife is from Tupelo and we originally moved over from Bham to be closer to her mom (Alzheimer's). Her aunt just happened to be trying to sell her home and it was in Amory so that was that. Definitely like the small town. Our house is a little over a hundred years old so we have put some money into it but it fits our life now. 

18 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

looks like we are in for some snow and ice Saturday night. I guess it will come your way as well.

We are in what they call the thermal belt....that 5 miles  from Saluda makes a world of difference in our weather....but you never know.  Much less snow and ice here. 

22 hours ago, AU64 said:

Whatever makes our women happy, I guess. 

What some people may not know is that heat pump blows the same temperature of air no matter how high you push the thermostat ( short of kicking the strips on) you should never want those to come on $$$$$!

I hope I don’t need to repair or replace one anytime soon. When that time comes I’ll heavily consider a geothermal system. 

Archived