Casey Mize No Hitter

I just tuned in to see the last three pitches.  Won 6-0 over Northeastern.

"It was pretty awesome," Mize said. "I'm still kind of in shock. I realized pretty early on that I had [a no-hitter] going, but I didn't know I'd actually do it. I'm happy with how everyone played tonight. My defensive did a really good job. Luke Jarvismade some great plays in the four hole. Conor Davis catching that ball in the third inning was a great play. With no-hitters, there always seems to be that great play, and Conor's was a really good one. With Brett Wright behind the plate, we're connecting really well and I'm thankful for him. He was a wall back there for me, and we have complete trust in each other."

"In 27 years, that's about as good as I've seen on the mound," head coach Butch Thompson said. "I've seen some good ones. Just being in this league for 17 years, you're going to get to coach some really good ballplayers and pitchers especially. But start to finish, Casey Mize, that's probably about as good as I've seen."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/030918aaa.html

The comments post game were very telling...I have always contended that great teams start with great catchers.  We haven't had a great catcher since Dunn was here.  Mize's pitches are not called from the dugout (I loathe that practice, especially hate one particular guy in Baton Rouge who calls from the dugout with a batting glove on his hand).

“With no-hitters, there always seems to be that great play, and Conor’s was a really good one. With Brett Wright behind the plate, we’re connecting really well and I’m thankful for him. He was a wall back there for me, and we have complete trust in each other.”

Image result for alan dunn lsu

i believe this is first time ever or maybe twenty years? my memory is not working well and i just read the article an hour ago. but yes it is a really special thing best i can remember.

So I live on the west coast but flew into Birmingham for a wedding. We decided to drive down to the baseball game last night. My first baseball game in person ever. Seems we picked a good one! And by the way, he’s throwing the ball so much harder than it looks on TV.  A very nice place to be after following the basketball game.

Got the broadcast on for today's game on SEC+ and they were just talking about the no hitter and said Mize didn't go to 3 balls on any batter last night.  That's absolutely remarkable.   What a performance that was last night.

Archived