Softball vs. uat game 3

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Casey McCrackin comes through with a perfect swing and lines it into left.   Auburn walks it off 2-1. 

McCrackin comes through with a single to drive in Snow with the winning run.....  Happy for Carlson.....pitched a tremendous game

Between her clutch hitting and clutch fielding, I hate to think where this team would be without Casey Mc.

As always, appreciate the updates. For those of us that couldn't watch it, it's been said that SEC Network will show the game at 5 PM today. Thinking I'll record it for later viewing and get ready to root for Coach Pearl's birthday present. :)

Question for the rules gurus regarding any part of a batters foot being out of the box : I think the out is scored 2 unassisted. Does that mean that the ball is live and a base runner can advance at their own risk, or is it a dead ball ?

Great win today.  Maybe the bats are waking up ! 

WDE

44 minutes ago, wildling said:

I have the rulebook in front of me. It's not 1000% crystal clear, but there definitely isn't anything that says what you said. If it was as you said, it would be very unlikely Bama would even think they could challenge it, and that the ump would misapply such a simple rule.

Just for clarification (if this clarifies it).

Rule 8.3.2.b

(b) If reported by the offensive team immediately after the offending player
makes a play on defense, and before the next pitch, the lineup card shall
be corrected, and the offensive coach shall have the option to:
(1) Nullify the play. The batter assumes the ball and strike count she
had before the infraction was reported and continues her turn at
bat. Each base runner returns to the last base legally occupied at
the time of the pitch.
(2) Take the results of the play and disregard the violation.

Tow flied out to LF.  Hemphill flied out to LF. Protest made after Hemphill's out. 

6 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Just for clarification (if this clarifies it).

Rule 8.3.2.b

(b) If reported by the offensive team immediately after the offending player
makes a play on defense, and before the next pitch, the lineup card shall
be corrected, and the offensive coach shall have the option to:
(1) Nullify the play. The batter assumes the ball and strike count she
had before the infraction was reported and continues her turn at
bat. Each base runner returns to the last base legally occupied at
the time of the pitch.
(2) Take the results of the play and disregard the violation.

Also, since Podany had already batted after re-entering.

Rule 8.3.3.3.3 should apply.

8�3�3�3�3 The unreported/misreported player has completed her turn at
bat, but a pitch (legal or illegal) has been thrown to the next batter, or
the pitcher and all infielders clearly have vacated their normal fielding
positions and have left fair territory
EFFECT—The unreported/misreported player is declared officially in the
game. In addition, the unreported/misreported player, if on base, is
declared out. All other play while the unreported/misreported player was
at bat or due to her becoming a batter-runner is legal.

40 minutes ago, Hspoprn said:

Question for the rules gurus regarding any part of a batters foot being out of the box : I think the out is scored 2 unassisted. Does that mean that the ball is live and a base runner can advance at their own risk, or is it a dead ball ?

Great win today.  Maybe the bats are waking up ! 

WDE

The ball is dead and no runners are allowed to advance.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

This is my issue with the way it was called.  I will admit I am not a college official but the way this rule reads, once Podany had batted (which she did in the previous half inning), it seems she should have been "in the game."  What I do not know on the college rules is if there is a difference that she has to be reported back in on defense (where as this rule sounds like it talking on offense).

Wither way, we got her twice, thanks to a great play by Podany and then came back to win it.  Great game by the Tigers to come through when they had to do it.

On a side note, glad we didn't have to face Osorio, but hate to see a great player have to leave due to injury.  Saw CMD speak with her at length in the handshake game and hope she is alright.

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

But 8.3.3.3.3 is a subsection of 8.3.3.3 "8�3�3�3 If the unreported/misreported player is reported by the defense
before the offensive coach in violation informs the umpire and:"

That didn't occur in this case, the offensive coach (Bama) reported it.

This is part of 8.3.3.5 "8�3�3�5 If the unreported/misreported player is reported by the offense before
the defensive coach in violation informs the umpire, and:"

8�3�3�5�1 The unreported/misreported player has made a play, but the
next pitch has not yet been thrown, the pitcher and all infielders
clearly have not vacated their normal fielding positions and have not
left fair territory, or it is the last play of the game, and the umpires have
not yet left the field�

game. The offensive team has the option of taking the result of the play
or having the last batter return and assume the ball and strike count she
had before the report of the unreported/misreported player with each
base runner returning to the base legally occupied at the time of the last
pitch.

If a pitch was thrown after the play and then it was reported by bama, then there would have been no penalty.

8�3�3�5�2 The unreported/misreported player has made a play, and the
next pitch has been thrown, or the pitcher and all infielders have
clearly vacated their normal fielding positions and have left fair
territory�
8�3�3�5�3 The unreported/misreported player has not made a play, and a
pitch has been thrown�
EFFECT—(8.3.3.5.2 and 8.3.3.5.3)—The unreported/misreported player
is declared officially in the game, and all play will stand.

I do agree that it's kind of cheap to realize the other team made a mistake, and then wait for that player to do something before reporting it. But the problem is enforcing some type of "she already made a catch/batted" rule. How exactly do you prove she did those things. In this case it would have been obvious b/c Podany just caught a ball the batter before, but it a lot of cases it wouldn't be.

Looking at the highlights , Rivera's HR swing was very smooth and controlled, a lot like her 2017 swings vs the max effort 2018 swings, I hope the smooth and controlled continues.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

I guess maybe bama finally noticed that she was back in the game and the ruling must have taken place from when the violation was noticed.  If I recall, Podany also caught a ball before the "question" was raised and nothing appeared to apply on that play? 

Notice that their homerun hitter Hemphill was up.  Murphy knew about the non-report and was holding it in his pocket until he wanted to use it.  Almost worked.

6 hours ago, jared52 said:

I wonder why there isn’t a similar rule to blocking bases as there is to blocking the plate.

There is such a rule, but this umpiring crew isn't the greatest.  Same thing cost Draper a stolen base a few weeks ago.

6 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Notice that their homerun hitter Hemphill was up.  Murphy knew about the non-report and was holding it in his pocket until he wanted to use it.  Almost worked.

That seemed to be the case.....nobody publishing articles tonight about "sneaky sneaky" bama however are they ? ....

I heard MD blame it on the ump....or implied it was the ump who did not list the change....which makes it interesting that bama was able to know about it.   Oh well.......got away with that one. 

Well, despite the fact that it seems advisable to call the family attorney to interpret the rule book, it says "after she makes a play".  It doesn't say "after the FIRST play she makes".

I echo the thought above in hoping that Miss Osorio recovers completely and quickly.  And I certainly hope that Miss Snow's arm/hand injury isn't serious. 

4 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Well, despite the fact that it seems advisable to call the family attorney to interpret the rule book, it says "after she makes a play".  It doesn't say "after the FIRST play she makes".

I echo the thought above in hoping that Miss Osorio recovers completely and quickly.  And I certainly hope that Miss Snow's arm/hand injury isn't serious. 

OOPS...got the wrong reaction and it would not let me change....so..."thanks"....

As long as I was involved in baseball, some 30 years at various levels, if the opposing manager didn't call the illegal substitution after the first pitch but before the second pitch, the player then became legal. There was no such thing as "holding it in your pocket" for an opportune moment.  It's the same result as batting out of turn. Softball may be different but I have my doubts.

I compare this to the incidence in football where the coach of the opposing team waits til right before the snap of the other team trying to kick a field goal and calls time out to try to fluster the kicker. It seems sneaky and maybe even underhanded, but it's within the rules of the game so why not use it to your advantage?

Also, I am in favor of anything that might discourage the slap hitting. Don't personally care for that particular part of the game.

Archived