Fox News Contributer leaves

auburnphan

10 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

The fact that there was a contract doesn't mean he was "locked in" to "continue" for the duration of the term of the contract. In order to make that determination, you'd have to read all of the language in the contract first. Thus, Salty's insight could very well be on point. Perhaps it is surprising that he continued with FOX in the first place. 

It could be.  Or maybe just like he said, the sense that the network had changed for good came over time.  If so, maybe he just felt that as it approached his contract ending date it would be good to just leave then.  A lot of folks have the attitude on such things that, "I signed a contract and barring extreme and/or unavoidable circumstances, I think a man should fulfill the obligations he signed up for."  I think such a tendency is especially strong among military folks like Peters.  You can be surprised if you wish, I don't know that it's a big deal one way or the other in terms of whether his observations are valid though.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well that's kind of his whole point.  He couldn't continue any longer once his contract was up because they've become the Trump Cheerleader Network.

and I said I am surprised he has continued this long 

"Given the way Fox has treated the Trump administration" = Cheerleader Network vs calling for his head

5 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Most all the hard core Trump folks I know considered this guy a "Never-Trumper", his comments pretty much confirm that to them.

Whether or not you can conclude anything from his letter/departure WRT to Fox News is very much in the eye of the beholder. I would hardly consider him a regular on the network like a show host, obviously, but I believe he was insightful in his sphere of knowledge (he was a Lt Col. in the military). Beyond that, meh.

I'm not sure I understand the significance of downplaying Peters' status or how well-known he is.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I'm not sure I understand the significance of downplaying Peters' status or how well-known he is.

Not my intention if you read it that way, but since you brought it up, a lot of people like him wouldn't even be known if the networks didn't somewhat elevate them to a certain level to begin with. He was a former cold-war era Army O-5 intel guy, not some end all, be all, field general. I get the attention based on his departure and statement, but I personally didn't pay him much mind beyond his military opinions which I generally though were well reasoned.

Just now, stoic-one said:

Not my intention if you read it that way, but since you brought it up, a lot of people like him wouldn't even be known if the networks didn't somewhat elevate them to a certain level to begin with. He was a former cold-war era Army O-5 intel guy, not some end all, be all, field general. I get the attention based on his departure and statement, but I personally didn't pay him much mind beyond his military opinions which I generally though were well reasoned.

You were just the most recent one so I quoted yours.  It started with the very first response in the thread.  I didn't mean to single you out.

It's just a weird point to push to me.  No one claimed it was on the level of Shepard Smith or Brit Hume telling FOX to kiss off.  But the guy has been a regular contributor to FOX for a good while now.  I recognized him instantly when I saw the photo.  It just seems like many (not you) are trying to use the fact that he's not a household name as some sort of reason to doubt or give less credence to what he's saying here and I don't see the connection.

24 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Whether or not you can conclude anything from his letter/departure WRT to Fox News is very much in the eye of the beholder. I would hardly consider him a regular on the network like a show host, obviously, but I believe he was insightful in his sphere of knowledge (he was a Lt Col. in the military). Beyond that, meh.

Couldn't express it any better. Thank you.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

You were just the most recent one so I quoted yours.  It started with the very first response in the thread.  I didn't mean to single you out.

It's just a weird point to push to me.  No one claimed it was on the level of Shepard Smith or Brit Hume telling FOX to kiss off.  But the guy has been a regular contributor to FOX for a good while now.  I recognized him instantly when I saw the photo.  It just seems like many (not you) are trying to use the fact that he's not a household name as some sort of reason to doubt or give less credence to what he's saying here and I don't see the connection.

Fair enough, I also recognized him immediately.

I'm not anyone that can answer whether his manner of departure does or does not indicate anything, I'm simply stating the fact that I personally didn't much pay attention to him beyond his military commentary.

Adding: Most people don't pay attention to the news and probably don't see this as a big deal, JMHO.

2 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Fair enough, I also recognized him immediately.

I'm not anyone that can answer whether his manner of departure does or does not indicate anything, I'm simply stating the fact that I personally didn't much pay attention to him beyond his military commentary.

Exactly and neither can ANYONE else here

Archived