AU -Kentucky (SEC Tourney Game 1)

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem with our young pitchers.....Butch turns hit back to get a sip of water and next thing he knows there are two guys on base and nobody out....

So what happened between innings that Owens can't find the strike zone.

Fortunately for him....Holland makes a great DP play and Owens is mostly off the hook.....except for the guy on 3rd of course...

Little help from the UK hitter on 3-1 pitch......swung at ball 4....and then Owens still walks him on a breaking ball in the dirt.....guess he thought the guy would swing at another bad pitch.....maybe a FB would have been a better choice.

And looks like JO has run out of chances .....time for a new pitcher.

Pretty good job by Owen.....got out of a few problems but still held Kats to 1 run ....though the two base belong to him. 

OK  Belle....Davis Daniel on to pitch.......hope he comes out firing FB strikes and does not try to get too cute with guys on the corners.

Nothing but FBs......just what was needed....got UK's best hitter....well done....

And AU has first two runners on base in the bottom of 3rd.....maybe time to push the UK pitcher out of the game...Might be Harper's last batter..

Oops....2 ball count on Williams and UK manager is out to discuss things.  Hjelle ready to pitch if needed....UK wants this game.

Ouch...Anthony tries to steal 3rd and is out....maybe H and R....but now two outs...

And Williams delivers to score Holland...

AU up 2-1....

Not sure what that steal / hit and run was with Williams at the plate.....seems we wasted  runner for nothing....

Meanwhile Wright doubles to right center to bring home Williams

And AU up 3-1

Kentucky should have pulled the pitcher when he had the chance...with Williams at the plate.

Venter at bat.

Wow.  UK bringing in Hjelle.  Would likely be his normal side session day (or close to it), so I get it.  Just not something I expected to see.

Hjelle in to pitch for UK....a couple batters too late perhaps....

Lot of baseball to play and UK probably figures they are not done scoring so a good move to stop AU right now with 3 runs. 

Venters goes down swinging to end the inning and AU up 3-1 after three complete innings..

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Why in the world wouldn’t you bunt there Butch

I was wondering the same thing.

Julien and Estes hit to start the inning but Davis grounds into a double play to kill momentum. Don’t know why in the world you wouldn’t bunt your runners over and slowly increase that lead. 

Jarvis down on strikes to end the inning. Missed opportunity to score runs. 

Butch has to bunt in that scenario.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I was wondering the same thing.

I’d take a greater chance of increasing the lead by 1 or 2 over a much lesser chance of scoring 4 or 5 runs in an inning. 

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

I’d take a greater chance of increasing the lead by 1 or 2 over a much lesser chance of scoring 4 or 5 runs in an inning. 

Against Hjelle?  Absolutely.  Take every run you can possibly get right now.

Archived