Women's College World Series

3 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Gasso will just reload with another one like PP. 

Maybe...but PP was special and a real workhorse....not saying there aren't some others out there too but JMO she was primarily responsible for getting the Okies to the CWS starting from  her freshman year. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe...but PP was special and a real workhorse....not saying there aren't some others out there too but JMO she was primarily responsible for getting the Okies to the CWS starting from  her freshman year. 

Agreed.  She was special but so was Keilani Rickets before PP. 

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

Agreed.  She was special but so was Keilani Rickets before PP. 

Did not see her....my interest in softball pretty much coincided with the arrival of Myers and  Auburn becoming a serious factor on the national scene. Frankly there a lot of pitchers I will be happy to see the last of....Osorio and Barnhill to mention a couple. 

May not be that easy.  There were no more than about three pitchers in the country who could compete with her.  Alvelo and Garcia.  Don't know Plain for UW well enough yet.  None in the SEC.  OU also loses a good bit of offense this year, I think; unfortunately, not Jocelyn Alo (30 homers).

FSU eliminates UCLA and advances to play Washington in the Championship Series.  This is the first time FSU has been there.  

Sort of off-topic: I didn't watch all of the games this weekend, but watched a good bit. Did not see one slapper make a contribution. Power hitting was abundant. Is the era of slappers over? I personally hope so.

I saw several games and very little slapping by the teams in OKC.  I taught slapping to many girls back in my coaching days.  I like it when executed properly. Draper very seldom did it right which is a shame because with her speed she could have added many points to her batting average.  

SEC teams had bad Super regionals.   Filled the big brackets but most could not make it to the next level.   Quality teams were well distributed geographically...across lower US....deep south, southwest and west.

9 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

Sort of off-topic: I didn't watch all of the games this weekend, but watched a good bit. Did not see one slapper make a contribution. Power hitting was abundant. Is the era of slappers over? I personally hope so.

I’ve watched most of the games and have to somewhat agree with your assessment.  However #21 for Washington has made some slaps and bunts in the tournament .  She’s also a great base runner, might be the best I’ve seen all year.  I’m sort of torn on the slapper issue and never liked seeing more than one in the lineup.  The new stepping out of the box rule certainly has changed the effectiveness of the slapper and if the umps start calling it on a consistent basis the slappers will either have to adapt or go the way of the dinosaurs.

5 minutes ago, AUSRB said:

I’ve watched most of the games and have to somewhat agree with your assessment.  However #21 for Washington has made some great slaps and bunts throughout the tournament.  She’s also a great base runner, might be the best I’ve seen all year.  I’m sort of torn on the slapper issue and never liked seeing more than one in the lineup. The new stepping out of the box rule certainly has changed the effectiveness of the slapper and if the umps start calling it on a consistent basis the slappers will either have to adapt or go the way of the dinosaurs.

I agree with that. Shame in a way because some great defensive outfielders and base runners can't do much except slap at the ball and leg out a hit. Their day may be done.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I agree with that. Shame in a way because some great defensive outfielders and base runners can't do much except slap at the ball and leg out a hit. Their day may be done.

i dont know much about softball, but i'd hate to see something very unique in the sport go away partly because of a rule change.  i made this comment recently ... they should roll back the automatic out for stepping out of the box and make it equivalent to a foul ball, or something of similar punishment.  An out seems awfully punitive.

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

FSU wins Game 1 1-0 over Washington. Game 2 tomorrow night. 

That was a great game. Plain vs King was a spectacular pitcher’s duel, and both teams played phenomenal defense. Classic fast pitch as a solo bomb was the difference. 

Wow…>FSU is hammering Washington and their ace pitcher....up 7-3 and Alevo gets an early shower....bottom of the fourth..

Another HR by FSU ...off Plain....and FSU up 8-3......HR number 21 for the season for Warren.....she's definitely bad news at the plate...

Washington jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the 1st on 2 errors and a home run.  I thought it was going to be a sure Game 3 at that point.  FSU bats are smoking now.   It is amazing how they turned this game around.  Warren could be Emily Carosone's sister.  They look a lot alike and their swings are similar, just from different sides of the plate. 

Congrats to FSU on their first Women's College World Series Championship.   And just think, we sent them on their way.  We coulda been a contender!  

Very impressed with way the Noles played this week.  No one has hit Alvelo like that.  Washington will have both pitchers back next year, so could make a run again.  I think King comes back also, and she was magnificent these two nights.  I was surprised Alameda didn't go with Hanson tonight, but looks like she knew what she was doing.

15 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Very impressed with way the Noles played this week.  No one has hit Alvelo like that.  Washington will have both pitchers back next year, so could make a run again.  I think King comes back also, and she was magnificent these two nights.  I was surprised Alameda didn't go with Hanson tonight, but looks like she knew what she was doing.

What amazed me was that both teams were tagging that ball off of good pitchers.....and after watching AU to struggle to score just a couple of runs in most games off less capable pitchers...…..gotta wonder how we turn things around.....new hitting coach or not.   Seems to be a big difference in athleticism perhaps....:dunno:

Florida State winning makes hit 4 years in a row that Auburn has been put out by the national champions. 

Florida St. 2018

Oklahoma 2017

Oklahoma 2016

Florida 2015

Edit: I completely blacked out Jacksonville State putting us out this year. So, I guess ignore this post.

2 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

Florida State winning makes hit 4 years in a row that Auburn has been put out by the national champions. 

Florida St. 2018

Oklahoma 2017

Oklahoma 2016

Florida 2015

Edit: I completely blacked out Jacksonville State putting us out this year. So, I guess ignore this post.

I would have done the same....that was a very forgettable game.....but otherwise, as we've noted a number of times,  our road to about any national sports accomplishment seems to go through Gainesville or Tallahassee. 

Archived