Jeremy Johnson Transferring

50 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Too bad- thought he had a shot to start next year. Guessing Williams, Ward, and a new comer in the outfield next year? 

Thought I read that Williams was coming to the infield...first or something?   

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Hmm maybe so- I figured Conor Davis would step in there and Williams would stay in right. Could very well be wrong though.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I thought I read that Williams was going to be moved to Catcher.

Good luck to JJ. I really liked him and thought he should’ve played more this year. I wish him well at UC. 

So if Williams goes back to C, who are we looking at in the OF? Julien, Evans, Ward, Bliss? I'd prefer Davis be back in 1B or DH.

This also means there's no players left on the team from the 2016 season.

I had heard right after the season ended that this might happen. Not surprised about it. His inability to get onto the field late in the season when Davis and Ward were struggling didn’t seem to bode well for his chances going forward. 

34 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

So if Williams goes back to C, who are we looking at in the OF? Julien, Evans, Ward, Bliss? I'd prefer Davis be back in 1B or DH.

This also means there's no players left on the team from the 2016 season.

Good question on Williams. I assume he’s going to get every shot at catcher. We don’t have many options there. Rojas is on the roster, but we brought in a JUCO C last year ahead of him and are bringing in another this offseason. Doesn’t look good for Rojas. And Chase Hall is the only other C on the roster. So, Williams might have to be the guy. 

If he moves to C, I’d think Ward, Cade Evans, freshmen Kason Howell and Jarrett Eaton, and maybe Julien and Davis are out OF options. Julien might also get a look at 2B. That’s where he’s played all summer. Still not sure what will happen at 1B. Rankin Woley will likely be somewhere in the field because his bat is supposedly that good. Freshmen Ryan Bliss and Devin Warner could also factor at 2B/3B. 

We need some speed in the outfield....Williams is a fine athlete but the OF is not his long term home in my opinion.   Catcher in HS...so maybe there ?

Johnson was a Golloway flyer...most likely to get "in" at 6-4-3 Baseball Academy.  That was actually one of his better ideas.

I don't believe Williams is the answer behind the plate, long term.  I think he will be best suited in RF or 1B at the next level.  Probably too big of an arm to waste at first.

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We need some speed in the outfield....Williams is a fine athlete but the OF is not his long term home in my opinion.   Catcher in HS...so maybe there ?

I am the biggest of Steven Williams fans, but he is not a great receiver and struggles to block.  He is a hitter first, foremost and always.  And we need that beautiful left handed swing in the line up every freakin' day.

7 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I am the biggest of Steven Williams fans, but he is not a great receiver and struggles to block.  He is a hitter first, foremost and always.  And we need that beautiful left handed swing in the line up every freakin' day.

Agree about the offense.....but where to play him? ....and still think we need two more good defensive outfielders and SW is marginal for SEC in my view

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree about the offense.....but where to play him? ....and still think we need two more good defensive outfielders and SW is marginal for SEC in my view

I think the Bryce Harper model applies here.

4 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I think the Bryce Harper model applies here.

Could be but we still need some speed in the outfield....isn't Estes gone now?   a very fine CF and really gonna miss him...he could cover some ground but right and left were weak defensively no matter who we had out there......some slightly  better than others I guess....but....:dunno:

I can’t figure out why JJ couldn’t crack the lineup. Seemed to play decently when given the chance but no matter how bad Ward and CD struggled he still couldn’t get a shot. A shame because the guy seemed to love AU and he was a good intern on the Lunch Break radio show and came across as a really nice guy 

best of luck JJ!

If anyone had to speculate,.who do you think our starting 9 for 2019 will be?

WDE & thanks!

9 hours ago, au302 said:

I can’t figure out why JJ couldn’t crack the lineup. Seemed to play decently when given the chance but no matter how bad Ward and CD struggled he still couldn’t get a shot. A shame because the guy seemed to love AU and he was a good intern on the Lunch Break radio show and came across as a really nice guy 

I think JJ is a really good kid. Just didn’t see things the same way as Butch. 

Starting 9 with JJ out of the picture:
SS: Holland(pretty much only lock for both field and lineup)

2B: Julien(Played there some this summer) or Bliss/Eaton if Julien isn't a good enough defender at 2B.

DH: Davis(I hope he doesn't see the OF again)? Maybe Julien again?

1B: Woley? Maybe Davis

CF: Howell(haven't seen his arm yet)

LF: Ward or maybe Julien if Butch wants him to play the field but 2B isn't viable.

3B: Warner?

RF: Williams(depending on the C situation, I think he stays here so Butch can get more of his bat here, or at least get a share of the C spot like in 2016)

C Rojas(I assume maybe he gets most of the starts here with Williams maybe getting the occasional start)

Pretty much we have a huge amount of question marks here from who will be in the lineup next year or players that are locks to be in the lineup but don't have a set position(Williams/Julien). Can Julien and Williams be better defenders at their original position? Can Julien play the field? Who takes LF, CF, 2B, 1B, DH, 3B, RF(if Williams becomes catcher), C(if Williams stays at RF). We still have Morgan, Olson, Hall and Evans on the bench from last year. I'm not too knowledgeable about the new position recruits besides Bliss/Howell/Warner. 

Seems that in college baseball about every year is a rebuilding effort....with players getting moved around...

14 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

2B: Julien(Played there some this summer) or Bliss/Eaton if Julien isn't a good enough defender at 2B.

LF: Ward or maybe Julien if Butch wants him to play the field but 2B isn't viable.

RF: Williams(depending on the C situation, I think he stays here so Butch can get more of his bat here, or at least get a share of the C spot like in 2016)

C Rojas(I assume maybe he gets most of the starts here with Williams maybe getting the occasional start)

Pretty much we have a huge amount of question marks here from who will be in the lineup next year or players that are locks to be in the lineup but don't have a set position(Williams/Julien). Can Julien and Williams be better defenders at their original position? Can Julien play the field? Who takes LF, CF, 2B, 1B, DH, 3B, RF(if Williams becomes catcher), C(if Williams stays at RF). We still have Morgan, Olson, Hall and Evans on the bench from last year. I'm not too knowledgeable about the new position recruits besides Bliss/Howell/Warner. 

Doesn’t sound like Rojas is going to return, according to a friend of mine who know several players. 

20 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Doesn’t sound like Rojas is going to return, according to a friend of mine who know several players. 

Who else is rumored to transfer? Watson?

16 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

I think Williams is a big key to the defense next year. There's talk that he's going to get every chance to be the starting C, but bringing in another JUCO catcher who is known mostly for his defense makes me think we're more than prepared for Williams to play RF or 1B. Scheffler also hit .360 in his 2-year career in a wood bat JUCO league and stole 40 bases. 1B is also a toss-up. I think Davis moves there, but him not playing there for 2 seasons worries me defensively. We're bringing in another JUCO guy in Everett Lau who is similar to Julien in his ability to be a utility guy. He's an infielder but will probably get a first look at the OF this fall. Lau and Julien give us a lot of flexibility in the lineup. Ryan Bliss and Devin Warner are going to get a shot in the infield in the fall. Kason Howell and Jarrett Eaton will get looks in the outfield.

If I were picking a lineup right now, I think it would look like this:

C : Matt Scheffler (JUCO transfer)

1B: Davis

2B: Julien

3B: Woley (JUCO transfer)

SS: Holland

LF: Everett Lau (JUCO transfer)

CF: Ward

RF: Williams

DH: Who the heck knows? We have a plethora of guys that could fill this role, from some incoming freshmen to possibly Tanner Burns to one of the guys I have listed who isn't starting on a particular day.

Archived