What would you do to fix the O?

AUght2win

If I were the head coach or OC I think I would gather the entire offense together.  Inform them we are gonna rep 10 plays over and over all week.  Work on basic fundamentals of each position group and on Saturday we are going to go out on the field and have fun... Like for real have fun.  We are gonna run our base plays, we are gonna throw in a couple trick plays,  but at the end of the day go out play fast and have some fun. 

Offense looks way to tight.  Everyone wants to make the play to get things started rolling but you have to play loose not tight.   

As the NASCAR saying goes tight is slow and loose is fast.  Way to much pressing at every spot.  

And I am not simply saying we need a QB change. I also worry about JS health. What if he does get hurt? We are woefully underprepared for that

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

And I am not simply saying we need a QB change. I also worry about JS health. What if he does get hurt? We are woefully underprepared for that

I've been calling for a few snaps for Malik for weeks.  Not that I think he is a better QB then Stidham but might bring some juice, might open the run up some.  Plus if he were to be QB1 next  year he needs some reps

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I've been calling for a few snaps for Malik for weeks.  Not that I think he is a better QB then Stidham but might bring some juice, might open the run up some.  Plus if he were to be QB1 next  year he needs some reps

You are correct Mi Amigo 

28 minutes ago, corchjay said:

If I were the head coach or OC I think I would gather the entire offense together.  Inform them we are gonna rep 10 plays over and over all week.  Work on basic fundamentals of each position group and on Saturday we are going to go out on the field and have fun... Like for real have fun.  We are gonna run our base plays, we are gonna throw in a couple trick plays,  but at the end of the day go out play fast and have some fun. 

Offense looks way to tight.  Everyone wants to make the play to get things started rolling but you have to play loose not tight.   

As the NASCAR saying goes tight is slow and loose is fast.  Way to much pressing at every spot.  

Are you saying go back to a real traditional Gus offense?  If so I’m with you.  If not I’m still with you.  Miss State ran the same play over and over and dared Auburn to stop it.  Sometimes we did and some times we didn’t.  Even with the Oline in the shape it’s in I’d like to see Gus go 2013 and run it, run it, run it some more and just when the defense thinks another run is coming throw it 30 yards down field.  Tennessee and Ole Miss are bad football teams so the opportunity is there to get rhythm.  Auburn will have to run it to stay remotely close to Bama and Georgia at the end of the season so might as well start now.

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Are you saying go back to a real traditional Gus offense?  If so I’m with you.  If not I’m still with you.  Miss State ran the same play over and over and dared Auburn to stop it.  Sometimes we did and some times we didn’t.  Even with the Oline in the shape it’s in I’d like to see Gus go 2013 and run it, run it, run it some more and just when the defense thinks another run is coming throw it 30 yards down field.  Tennessee and Ole Miss are bad football teams so the opportunity is there to get rhythm.  Auburn will have to run it to stay remotely close to Bama and Georgia at the end of the season so might as well start now.

I'm saying work on fundamentals and technique in practice.  But know if you make a mistake it's ok... Go play fast and loose and have some fun.  The offensive players don't seems to be having fun.  Yes failure can do that to you but seems to me we are pressing way to much.  

59 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I hate to be a pessimist, but we’ve tried pretty much everything. It’s hard to be effective when one drive your QB overthrows, the next drive the receiver drops the pass, then the next drive a lineman fales starts on a short yardage red zone opportunity. It’s been that way all year. Players have to execute. Gus and Chip lack the leadership skills to fix this with schemes or play calling in mid season I’m afraid. 

I disagree and I'll need some examples to believe otherwise. I think we have basically made no changes to the offense besides trying a new center. 

We still run the terrible one-read rollout plays. We still rely on screens. We still have no intermediate passing game. We still continue to try in vane to establish a downhill running game. We still have no creativity on short yardage plays. 

I don't think we have tried ANYTHING. 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Hate to say it, but leave Cox on the bench except for obvious run situations.

I don’t think putting our only consistent positive player on the bench 50% of the time is a good start. He is the only bright spot in a dull offense.

Bench Stidham - even if just for a bit as a good ol Sherriff Buford T Justice “attention getter.”

IMO, the line has shown small improvements, with the exception of RT. Keep that progress however slow and painful it may be.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I disagree and I'll need some examples to believe otherwise. I think we have basically made no changes to the offense besides trying a new center. 

We still run the terrible one-read rollout plays. We still rely on screens. We still have no intermediate passing game. We still continue to try in vane to establish a downhill running game. We still have no creativity on short yardage plays. 

I don't think we have tried ANYTHING. 

Stidham over threw Slayton by 20 yards, then later Slayton dropped a TD pass. On the 4th and 7 late in the game JS threw to a covered up Canella, while having a wr wide open 10 yards away. Then there was Boobies fumble. And the bad snap with KMart on the 3d and 2. I’m not defending Gus or CL, but the above examples represent 5 opportunities to change the course of the game with execution. 

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

This is the worst O I think I have ever seen at Auburn.  It's just plain sad with so many play makers.

LOL. It’s bad but I’m still scarred from the Nallsminger days of 2003 and the Loeffler experiment of 2012

First we need to recognize we can’t run right at the other team because our O line is not good enough.  Get outside with jet sweeps and misdirection.  Go into max protect mode on pass plays because the O line is not good enough to pass protect either without some help.  Quit trying to put 4-5 receivers in the pattern.  Stidham does not have time to progress through that many options.  Replace 2-3 with with TE’s and H-Backs that would slow any outside rushers and would become the safety valve if the rush is not coming from their side.  We have receivers that are capable of getting open if only 1-2 are in the pattern it is nuts to keep flooding the field only to not be able to get the ball off accurately and to the open man.  Finally, realize that Stidham is shell shocked. We can’t keep flooding the field with receivers only to leave him back there like a sitting duck.  

26 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

LOL. It’s bad but I’m still scarred from the Nallsminger days of 2003 and the Loeffler experiment of 2012

At least in 2003 we won 5 SEC games and beat Alabama (yes they sucked, but an IB win is an IB win).

Archived