Finding success in the details

StatTiger

20 hours ago, StatTiger said:

It reminded me of Malzahn's failure to call a timeout against Florida State, just before they executed a fake punt.

That was the moment I knew he was in over his head.  Stop that play and we retain momentum and increase our lead at the half and Gus has his MBCSNC.  But, he got caught with his pants down to foreshadow things to come.

I have been an EXTREME Auburn fan for over 60 years, through good and bad times. I also stayed on the bus too long. With that said, I believe Auburn not only deserves better, but most certainly CAN do better. I hope for my sake and the sake of the players and fans that the AD will go ahead and do what needs to be done. I for one see no need in putting off what most believe will soon happen. From what I have seen regarding the payout, is that it will be just as costly or more so if we wait till next year. I truly believe that we have the players to be competitive. Just time for a change in coaching!

• Like 2

Surely Gus has heard the grumblings from the PTB, the fans and it wouldn't surprise me, some of the players. Despite the money, why would he want to stay where he knows alot of people don't want him?

If the light hasn't come by now, it  appears it won't be coming on any time soon.

Edited by milehighfan

13 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Surely Gus has heard the grumblings from the PTB, the fans and it wouldn't surprise me, some of the players. Despite the money, why would he want to stay where he knows alot of people don't want him?

If the light hasn't come by now, it  appears it won't be coming on any time soon.

For $49M I'd keep posting on this forum even if y'all hated my guts.  😏

But, yeah, I get what you're saying.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:35 PM, StatTiger said:

Yes, Alabama's Nick Saban is loaded with a boatload of talent, but his teams are well prepared and well coached. Rarely do you see them making mental errors and when they do, there is a coach on the sideline to remind the player they made a mistake. Good coaches, coach all the time. Their players are disciplined and coached up to know their responsibilities and assignments. Their situational awareness is impressive at times, allowing them to make the most of their individual talents. Situational awareness is another hallmark of great coaching and preparation. The defense is almost always in a position to make the play, and their offense limits their turnovers and executes soundly. It goes beyond giving effort. Auburn's players play hard and lay it on the line for the most part, but they make way too many mistakes. IMO, this falls back to poor coaching and the lack of understanding that every snap matters. Nick Saban speaks of "the process" when he discusses his team. The word process is defined as a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end. In a nutshell, Saban has a plan for everything when it comes to "team preparation," and he seldom veers away from the plan.

When asked about playing Tagovailoa on Saturday against the Citadel, Saban responded "I think we need to do a better job of the people playing around him, doing what they're supposed to do so he doesn't get hit. And he needs to do a better job of stepping up in the pocket and getting rid of the ball, which he had several opportunities to do."

Saban makes his players take ownership of their game. Who can forget him slapping McCarron on the ass late in a game of his Freshman year, yelling at him, over a mistake McCarron made late in a 27 point win over State. Hell, Malzahn doesn't chew on a Auburn player's ass in the midst of a crucial game with a rival.

9 hours ago, wcware said:

It’s funny that all of the pro GUS people have nothing to say in this thread. They know that what Stat is saying is true. He has got to go

There are still pro Gus people on here?

11 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:
9 hours ago, wcware said:

It’s funny that all of the pro GUS people have nothing to say in this thread. They know that what Stat is saying is true. He has got to go

There are still pro Gus people on here?

Yes.  Big fan of Gus.  Just not our Gus.

THIS Gus.  He's much better at his job than OUR Gus.

download.jpeg

Gus thinks he personally can outsmart the opposing coaches and he doesn’t seem to worry about his team being fundamentally sound.  We run the same plays out of different formations with a lot of eye candy going on that fooled the opposing defenses for a while but they see what he is doing now.  They have learned to ignore the eye candy, not panic or start chasing after it, and just stay in position and let the play come to them.  If you look back at what the defenses were doing when he first came to Auburn they were frequently running around out of position to make the stop on running plays.  They don’t do that anymore.  And who in the world hasn’t figured out what we are about to do when we get a first down and line up to take a quick snap?  

On 11/13/2018 at 11:05 AM, oracle79 said:

That was the moment I knew he was in over his head.  Stop that play and we retain momentum and increase our lead at the half and Gus has his MBCSNC.  But, he got caught with his pants down to foreshadow things to come.

This

There wasn't anyone on Planet Earth , with the tiniest knowledge of Jimbo's background, who didn't expect the fake punt.....that is except the one person who SHOULD have been the first to see it coming, our beloved head coach.

• Love 1

Someone get a copy of this to Gus and make sure he actually reads it. For that matter, distribute copies to all the coaches, because it pertains to them, too.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:27 AM, wcware said:

What Stat is saying IS true. But he's not saying Gus has to go. He's saying Gus and the rest of the staff have to hold players accountable. There's a difference.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

What Stat is saying IS true. But he's not saying Gus has to go. He's saying Gus and the rest of the staff have to hold players accountable. There's a difference.

I must have misinterpreted then. Lol

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

That is not something you just start doing. That is either in your DNA as a coach or not at all. IMO

14 minutes ago, wcware said:

That is not something you just start doing. That is either in your DNA as a coach or not at all. IMO

Have you ever coached? Honest question, because your opinion holds a lot more weight if you have.

5 hours ago, wcware said:

Agree with this. Whether you’re coaching, managing a store, a surgeon operating on patients.....whatever. You either by nature are a stickler for details and tend to hold people accountable or do it other ways. Gus’s nature doesn’t seem to trend that way-all of this is by superficial observation but the end results are there for everyone to see, whatever the cause.

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Not exactly.  Stat tells us that the onus is on the coaching staff for "correcting players when they make mistakes and giving them a plan to be successful moving forward. The best coaches I have been around or witnessed are usually great "teachers." All the mental errors and miscues we witness on television is likely the final product of how the players are practicing and prepared during the week."

Only after players have been properly instructed, tested and corrected can players be held accountable.