How will the gift of Desperation alter Gus' Offensive strategy?

shabby

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

What was this year??  3 - 0 or  2 - 0heading into LSU.    The problem this was very poor o line play and poor QB play along with the defense unable to get off the field when needed

2-0 with a close win vs Washington and a tune up win vs Alabama State. Then comes game 3 and the LSU loss. It was the first SEC game and a game we should have never lost, which is the point. He has to have his team ready to roll next year and not give away games in the first 9 he needs to win.

i just took a hard look at next years schedule....6-6 and that includes a win at arkansas who will improve ...don't say that they can't lose to them, either....tennessee?....inspector clouseau can lose to anybody

7 hours ago, shabby said:

Honestly, I wanted Gus fired but he is here for another year. I'm kind of fascinated with what shape our offensive will take as we move back towards a duel threat quarterback with a coach that has nothing left to lose calling the plays. I have no idea why Lindsey is sticking around as he will be a total non-factor this coming year. I think we will get a bit of a preview with the bowl game but won't really know what the offense will look like next year until Kelly Bryant takes the field. I'm thinking we will see something akin to 2014 but with a better defense. Which gets me to thinking, how many games would we have one with a decent offense in 2014?  Probably 10 and 2 with a win over Bama. Is this a reasonable expectation for the 2019. Probably not. But what the heck, I'm going to enjoy false hope while I can. 

Lindsey is leaving. If Gus calls the plays we all know what to expect (past performance does predict future results) Also do we know for sure Bryant is coming? 

7 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

You may even see CDG go off on Gus a la the OT game against LSU.

I don't recall AU ever playing LSU in overtime?

Just now, ChltteTiger said:

I don't recall AU ever playing LSU in overtime?

I was referring to the Texas A&M/LSU overtime game a few weeks ago.  Sorry for the confusion.

Now that Chip is gone let’s see how the offense operates with Gustavo at the helm in the Music City Bowl.  It’ll be interesting for sure to see if the offense looks any different than what we’ve seen all season.

I don’t think anything is ever going to help his “halftime adjustments”.  How many times have we seen his offense come out the first half and look good, then they come out the second half, the other team makes adjustments, and old Gussie’s offense is dead in the water?  I went all the way to the Rose Bowl to watch it and it’s been the same story every year since.  

optimism will grow as the season for 2019 winds down. We will be looking for a new HC and one I hope will have a proven track winning record. Good Lord forbid that if and likely when the coaching change happens, Leath and company will not send us down a road to sub par seasons.  I see many schools who bounce from 1 bad coach to another.

I hope Leath is no longer the president this time next year and we have a president and PTB that will demand excellence like our cross state rival like it or not. Before Saban they wondered a long time in the wilderness. We should demand a coach who can take us to where we need to go. Good coaches are out there and it will be a matter of time before we are in the market.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:49 PM, BigWhiskey91 said:

I personally think we will see a dedicated effort to run the ball more, starting with the bowl game. There is going to be a focused effort on further simplification and execution. This won’t change ability (or lackthereof) to create explosive plays, but I’d expect consistency between drives to increase. 

I'm sorry, but I dont for the life of me see how we can actually make a more dedicated effort to run the ball or simplify things. Gus already runs 3 to 4 basic running plays plus screens and stupid gadget plays. I guess your thinking 4 straight dive plays followed by one screen or deep heave? Theres not going to be any adjustments that change the way anything works or that changes results. Mark it down. 

11 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I don’t think anything is ever going to help his “halftime adjustments”.  How many times have we seen his offense come out the first half and look good, then they come out the second half, the other team makes adjustments, and old Gussie’s offense is dead in the water?  I went all the way to the Rose Bowl to watch it and it’s been the same story every year since.  

Gus's offenses have looked good in many big games for the first drive or 2. Uga in 2015, 2016, and 2018. Clemson in 2017. Bama this year. Sec championship in 2017. Need I go on. The man scripts play and when they run out, hes got nothing. I've seen way more than enough from him. 

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

We won't know until he finishes his Desperation Transfer QB Tour. 

Gus should've been going all out for these dual threat qbs going back to 2015. Misses on so many big names because he had an ass clown oc who couldn't pull in the big dual threats he needed to run his gimmicky offense and because he was too hands off to go do some of the recruiting himself. This whole desperation effort is just too little too late for me. Pisses me off because I feel if he had landed at least one great dual threat qb, offense couldve hummed in 2015 and 2016. 

I edited this post. To be fair, shouldn't call Lashley an assclown. He seems like a nice guy and everything, it wasnt his fault. Gus gave him a job he wasnt ready for and I dont think he had a killer instinct. The kind you need to win 10 games in the sec. 

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

We won't know until he finishes his Desperation Transfer QB Tour. 

We lost out. Bryant went to Missouri. 

On 12/3/2018 at 1:27 PM, autigeremt said:

Actually desperate Gus beat thUGA and turdtown. If he’s going to be the coach let’s at least beat one of those two. 😳🤪

So you guys really think Gus beat Uga and Bama in 2017 just because he was desperate and can recreate that any time he wants? He doesnt have the players right now no matter how desperate he is. The o line doesn't have the run blocking talent it had in 2017. We dont have a back like Kerryon. If Gus goes out and gets those things and gets after peoples asses, yea we might win a big game next year. But just getting desperate wont do jack alone. 

21 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

We lost out. Bryant went to Missouri. 

He's not finished with his Desperation Transfer QB Tour. He has many more losses coming.

He´ll mix things up by combining a Whirly Bird with the tunnel screen. Or maybe a Whirly Bird fake punt with a pass to the kicker. If things get really desperate maybe a Whirly Bird Woody out of the Sugar huddle.

11 hours ago, twilli13 said:

I'm sorry, but I dont for the life of me see how we can actually make a more dedicated effort to run the ball or simplify things. Gus already runs 3 to 4 basic running plays plus screens and stupid gadget plays. I guess your thinking 4 straight dive plays followed by one screen or deep heave? Theres not going to be any adjustments that change the way anything works or that changes results. Mark it down. 

Or, you could actually look at the run/pass percentages by down for the last 5 years and see what’s changed. I stand by my comment.

Archived