softball vs Florida

I had hoped we could get McCrackin to the plate with a runner in scoring position and less than two outs. She's been a clutch hitter her entire career here. Saved an awful loss, she did. How could any of our hitters have looked Harris in the eye if she pitched a game like that game and lost?

Just so glad to win one! Lets gig the Gators again tomorrow! Showdown at high noon.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Hspoprn said:

Terrific game by Harris. Wonder if McCrackins's Mom can be in the dugout for the rest of the games this season, sprinkling the magic salt !

Grandmom!!

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I had hoped we could get McCrackin to the plate with a runner in scoring position and less than two outs. She's been a clutch hitter her entire career here. Saved an awful loss, she did. How could any of our hitters have looked Harris in the eye if she pitched a game like that game and lost?

Just so glad to win one! Lets gig the Gators again tomorrow! Showdown at high noon.

I'll be at Talladega tomorrow. I'll check in on my phone if there is good service. 

2 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I'll be at Talladega tomorrow. I'll check in on my phone if there is good service. 

Noon on ESPN. Maybe you can find a way to watch both! :)

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

Love me some Talledega. I prefer the October race, primarily because of perfect camping weather.  Jealous right now.  Haven't been in a few years. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Love me some Talledega. I prefer the October race, primarily because of perfect camping weather.  Jealous right now.  Haven't been in a few years. 

I go to both races every year.  

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Harris pitched a remarkable game and truly deserved that win.....

I have only followed AU softball for about 4 years but thought that was the most gutsy performance by any AU pitcher I have ever seen.  She appeared to maintain a confident , calm demeanor throughout the entire game.  If anyone deserved the win, Harris did.

1 minute ago, slot canyon said:

I have only followed AU softball for about 4 years but thought that was the most gutsy performance by any AU pitcher I have ever seen.  She appeared to maintain a confident , calm demeanor throughout the entire game.  If anyone deserved the win, Harris did.

Yep...tremendous pressure all game but especially in the extra innings.  She had adequate defense behind her...but IMO...it was mostly on her.

So, if you're a neutral party, who's the SEC Pitcher of the Week?  Barnhill for the no-no, or Harris for the 17Ks in a 1-run game?  And a complete game, 10 innings, 173 pitches.

47 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

So, if you're a neutral party, who's the SEC Pitcher of the Week?  Barnhill for the no-no, or Harris for the 17Ks in a 1-run game?  And a complete game, 10 innings, 173 pitches.

My totally unbiased opinion says Harris. Throw in the fact that Barnhill lost to Harris and it's a no-brainer.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I was wondering the same thing.  There is going to be a lot of weight given to Barnhill because of all the attention given to breaking the Florida strike out record but to me, getting 17 Ks against a top level opponent over that many innings with the number of pitches is more impressive.  Problem is, I doubt any of us who follow this forum can qualify as "a neutral party".  Also, Barnhill,a senior, has a lot of name recognition which may also work in her favor.  Sometimes objectivity gets overruled by sentiment......we'll see. 

3 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I was wondering the same thing.  There is going to be a lot of weight given to Barnhill because of all the attention given to breaking the Florida strike out record but to me, getting 17 Ks against a top level opponent over that many innings with the number of pitches is more impressive.  Problem is, I doubt any of us who follow this forum can qualify as "a neutral party".  Also, Barnhill,a senior, has a lot of name recognition which may also work in her favor.  Sometimes objectivity gets overruled by sentiment......we'll see. 

That hard thing to accept is that it took that kind of pitching effort to beat Florida at home.   a tremendous struggle.. the kind of game you might call an "instant classic" except non-softball fans would be bored to death..:).

SO...today....will the AU girls be elevated over that big win or worn out from the long game?   

At least the "at bats" looked a bit better yesterday and hope that carries to the game today.

The SEC has done co players and pitchers of the week before. In my opinion, Harris’s performance shouldn’t go unrecognized. How either of these do in game 3 could be the deciding factor. I expect Barnhill to start game 3. 

Barnhill doing it again.

Not getting the runs.....and too many walks...

7 hours ago, wildling said:

Did Swindle actually get 2 ABs this game? MD screw up his substitutions?

No screwup. Swindle got to bat as the DP so that the starting pitcher could return to the game if needed. It would be easier to explain with both a score book and a rule book on the table in front of us. :)

Florida scored six runs today. Five of the runners that scored reached base via walks. That's got to stop.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

No screwup. Swindle got to bat as the DP so that the starting pitcher could return to the game if needed. It would be easier to explain with both a score book and a rule book on the table in front of us. :)

Am I crazy or doesn't the starting pitcher return all the time without a pitcher having to bat? I'm pretty sure there was a screwup.

3 hours ago, wildling said:

Am I crazy or doesn't the starting pitcher return all the time without a pitcher having to bat? I'm pretty sure there was a screwup.

I'm going by what the announcers said. I've been somewhat out of touch with baseball rules for some time now, and never really been in touch with softball rules. I think I can see why Dean did it that way, but maybe not. That's why I'd like a rule book and scorebook in front of me.

41 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm going by what the announcers said. I've been somewhat out of touch with baseball rules for some time now, and never really been in touch with softball rules. I think I can see why Dean did it that way, but maybe not. That's why I'd like a rule book and scorebook in front of me.

It just seems weak to allow your pitcher, who is your weakest hitter, get 2 ABs, unless Dean was pretty sure, we weren't going to score against that pitcher. I can see once but not twice.

I guess he got himself in trouble there when he brought in Swindle after 4 batters, to try to keep them from scoring, and she gave up the GS. once that happened and she was due up next inning, he put himself in a corner on moves.

We just don't have the pitching, w Martin gone, and Harris somewhat inconsistent. Swindle can't strike many out, and is giving up runs at a pretty high pace now. Lexie can't get it over the plate....

38 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I thought it was a perfectly reasonable posts by @Mikey@steeleagle - unless I am missing some sarcasm or playful back and forth in the past.  Personally, I appreciated reading it.

Mikey immediately jumped to "correct" my post (and then doubled down) despite admittedly not being familiar with softball rules, that doesn't seem to be useful at all to me but you may disagree.

What exactly did you enjoy reading about Steeleagle's posts? The poor punctuation/grammar, the amazingly insightful idea that Dean brought in Swindle to try to keep Florida from scoring, this part

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

It just seems weak to allow your pitcher, who is your weakest hitter, get 2 ABs, unless Dean was pretty sure, we weren't going to score against that pitcher. I can see once but not twice.

that doesn't make sense, or this part

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

...and she gave up the GS. once that happened and she was due up next inning, he put himself in a corner on moves.

that also doesn't make sense.

38 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I'm not gonna look it up, feel free to correct me, but I seem to recall Swindle was a good batter in high school?  Maybe he wanted to try something.  Lord knows it appears he needs to try something at the plate.

This actually could make sense (she does appear to have been a good HS hitter) but it is much less likely than the screwup explanation imo. If he intended to DP Swindle it would probably have been better to start her at that position - you give up the surprise I guess (not worth much as there is no book on Swindle as a hitter) and gain much more flexibility. And Swindle hasn't hit in games since HS. And there has been no talk of her hitting in practice (unlike before MaKayla Martin's hitting debut).

In the case yesterday, the announcers were right in their assessment or provided info. He was keeping the option open to bring both back. Given Swindle doesn’t have an AB all year (and asking the first one to be against a high quality P) and need all qualified batters to take swings at Barnhill, that decision doesn’t quite add up. 

2 hours ago, wildling said:

Mikey immediately jumped to "correct" my post (and then doubled down) despite admittedly not being familiar with softball rules, that doesn't seem to be useful at all to me but you may disagree.

What exactly did you enjoy reading about Steeleagle's posts? The poor punctuation/grammar, the amazingly insightful idea that Dean brought in Swindle to try to keep Florida from scoring, this part

that doesn't make sense, or this part

that also doesn't make sense.

This actually could make sense (she does appear to have been a good HS hitter) but it is much less likely than the screwup explanation imo. If he intended to DP Swindle it would probably have been better to start her at that position - you give up the surprise I guess (not worth much as there is no book on Swindle as a hitter) and gain much more flexibility. And Swindle hasn't hit in games since HS. And there has been no talk of her hitting in practice (unlike before MaKayla Martin's hitting debut).

Simmer down guy. Geez. 

when I write on here, I don't look for people on here to be my grammar and punctuation teachers. That makes you look petty. I may want to write something fast, so I don't worry about punctuation/grammar because I think most posters on here are interested in each other's opinions and in some rare case,  breaking news...

If it doesn't make sense, just ask me what I meant. My intent is opinion or evaluation, that's all.   

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Simmer down guy. Geez. 

when I write on here, I don't look for people on here to be my grammar and punctuation teachers. That makes you look petty. I may want to write something fast, so I don't worry about punctuation/grammar because I think most posters on here are interested in each other's opinions and in some rare case,  breaking news...

If it doesn't make sense, just ask me what I meant. My intent is opinion or evaluation, that's all.   

Iknewexactlywhatyoumeant

Archived