Auburn NFL Roundup

Zeek

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/08/auburn-nfl-roundup-jarrett-stidham-leads-99-yard-winning-drive.html

The first snap that New England rookie quarterback Jarrett Stidham took in the Patriots' preseason game on Saturday night resulted in a safety for the Tennessee Titans when an offensive lineman was called for holding in the end zone on a completion.

The next time that Stidham had to pass from the end zone, the former Auburn standout led the Patriots on a 99-yard touchdown drive that lifted New England to a 22-17 victory at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee.

Stidham completed all seven of his passes in the game-winning series for 89 yards, including a 23-yard touchdown pass to Damoun Patterson with 4:12 left in the game.

This. Back. Shoulder. Throw. 👏👏👏#NEvsTEN pic.twitter.com/tseHFHmSsV

— NFL (@NFL) August 18, 2019
“I thought we did a good job bouncing back,” Stidham said. “I mean, obviously, we don’t want to put ourselves in that situation, getting a safety right there. But I thought our guys did a really good job of bouncing back and trying to really come out in the second half and play some good football.”

Stidham completed 14-of-19 passes for 193 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions. In his two preseason outings, the fourth-round draft choice has completed 28-of-43 passes for 372 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Stidham said he's feeling more comfortable on the NFL field.

“Just the more I’m around these guys in the meeting room with (offensive coordinator) Josh (McDaniels), and (assistant quarterbacks coach) Mick (Lombardi) and (quarterbacks) Tom (Brady) and Brian (Hoyer), just learning as much as I can,” Stidham said. “You know, we have a bunch of really good players on this team, so that makes my job a lot easier. Just getting the ball to those guys, and those guys up front did a great job, so I’m just trying to learn as much as I can and just continue to grow.”

Stidham said he caught some breaks in the second half, when Tennessee defensive players got their hands on three passes, with two of the throws coming as the quarterback was hit by a pass-rusher. In the first two, the Titans couldn't hang on for the interception, and on the third, the defender came down out of bounds.

“I got pretty lucky there a couple times,” Stidham said. “You know, I trust my guys to go and make those plays, and sure enough they did. Don’t need to put the ball in too much danger, so I’ve got to work on that. But overall, I thought we did a good job.”

Stidham was among the 34 former Auburn players who got on the field during the second week of the 2019 NFL preseason.

Four other former Auburn players played during the Patriots-Titans game:

· Titans linebacker Daren Bates made four tackles during his 26 defensive snaps. Bates also was on the field for a team-leading 14 special-teams plays.

· Byron Cowart started at defensive tackle for the Patriots. His two tackles included a sack as he played 31 defensive snaps.

BYRON COWART BULLIED RODGER SAFFOLD! MY GOODNESS! #Patriots pic.twitter.com/a1lwu7sjfs

— #FlashSZN (@ftbeard_17) August 17, 2019
· Patriots wide receiver Ryan Davis played two offensive snaps.

· Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones did not play.

· Patriots linebacker Brandon King (Thompson) registered two tackles during his 10 defensive snaps. King also was on the field for 12 special-teams plays.

In other Week 2 games:

Baltimore Ravens 26, Green Bay Packers 13

· Montravius Adams started at defensive end for the Packers. He recorded one tackle and knocked down a pass while playing a team-leading 44 defensive snaps.

· Packers safety Tray Matthews made three tackles during his 24 defensive snaps. He also was on the field for 12 special-teams plays.

Buffalo Bills 27, Carolina Panthers 14

· Cameron Artis-Payne started at running back for the Panthers. During his seven snaps, Artis-Payne ran four times for 18 yards.

· Panthers quarterback Cam Newton did not play.

Buffalo Bills v Carolina Panthers
Carolina Panthers keep Cam Newton on sideline again

The former Auburn All-American quarterback will make his preseason debut next week.

· Bills wide receiver Duke Williams caught three passes for 38 yards and one touchdown. Williams scored on a 9-yard reception with 26 seconds left in the first half as Buffalo took a 23-4 lead.

Duke Williams
Check out Duke Williams' leaping catch for first TD with Buffalo Bills

After two years in the CFL, the former Auburn wide receiver is back for another try in the NFL preseason.

Cincinnati Bengals 23, Washington Redskins 13

· Bengals inside linebacker Deshaun Davis registered a sack while playing 16 defensive snaps and eight special-teams plays.

· Bengals defensive end Carl Lawson did not play as he recovers from a torn ACL suffered last season.

· Redskins outside linebacker Cassanova McKinzy (Woodlawn) made two tackles, recorded a quarterback hit and broke up a pass while playing 43 of Washington's 75 defensive snaps.

· Redskins linebacker Darrell Williams got on the field for 11 defensive snaps and four special-teams plays on Thursday night after signing with the team on Sunday.

· C.J. Uzomah started at tight end for the Bengals. He caught a 1-yard pass while playing 17 snaps.

Cleveland Browns 21, Indianapolis Colts 18

· Browns defensive tackle Devaroe Lawrence played 19 defensive snaps on Saturday night after there were doubts about his status entering the game. He had sustained a knee injury during practice on Wednesday.

· Greg Robinson started at left offensive tackle for the Browns and played Cleveland's first two offensive series.

· Braden Smith started at right offensive tackle for the Colts and played Indianapolis' first three offensive series.

· Browns safety Jermaine Whitehead did not play.

Houston Texans 30, Detroit Lions 23

· Angelo Blackson started at defensive end for the Texans and played the first two defensive series.

· Kerryon Johnson (Madison Academy) started at running back for the Lions, playing for the first time since sustaining a knee injury during a regular-season game against the Carolina Panthers on Nov. 18. After missing the final six games of 2018, Johnson ran for 16 yards on three carries while playing eight snaps against Houston.

Minnesota Vikings 25, Seattle Seahawks 19

· Seahawks cornerback Neiko Thorpe broke up a pass while playing 20 defensive snaps and eight special-teams plays.

New York Giants 32, Chicago Bears 13

· John Franklin III started at cornerback for the Bears and made two tackles and broke up a pass while playing 40 defensive snaps. He also was on the field for 13 special-teams plays.

· Bears cornerback Jonathon Mincy made four tackles and broke up a pass while playing 35 defensive snaps. He also was on the field for seven special-teams plays.

· Giants guard Chad Slade played 39 percent of the Giants' offensive snaps.

· Giants wide receiver Darius Slayton did not play. The rookie sustained a hamstring injury on his first day of training camp.

New York Jets 22, Atlanta Falcons 10

· Falcons long snapper Josh Harris made nine snaps.

Oakland Raiders 33, Arizona Cardinals 26

· Raiders place-kicker Daniel Carlson connected on a 25-yard field goal and made his four extra-points kicks.

· Cardinals safety Rudy Ford (New Hope) made one tackle during his 28 defensive snaps. Ford was on the field for 13 special-teams plays, too.

· Cardinals outside linebacker Jeff Holland made two tackles. He was on the field for 16 defensive snaps and one special-teams play on Thursday night after joining the team on Monday as a waiver-wire claim.

· Raiders cornerback Josh Holsey made one tackle and broke up a pass. He played 13 defensive snaps on Thursday night after signing with the team on Tuesday.

· Raiders defensive tackle Gabe Wright did not play.

Philadelphia Eagles 24, Jacksonville Jaguars 10

· Jaguars defensive tackle Dontavius Russell made one tackle while playing 34 defensive snaps.

· Jaguars defensive tackle Andrew Williams played 43 defensive snaps.

San Francisco 49ers 24, Denver Broncos 15

· Forty-Niners defensive end Dee Ford (St. Clair County) did not play.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16, Miami Dolphins 14

· Peyton Barber started at running back for the Buccaneers. He carried the football twice for 5 yards on Tampa Bay's opening series.

· Dolphins fullback Chandler Cox was on the field for 14 offensive snaps and 13 special-teams plays.

· Carlton Davis started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. He registered one tackle while playing 13 defensive snaps.

· Buccaneers cornerback Jamel Dean made two tackles, intercepted a pass and broke up another one. Dean played a team-leading 58 defensive snaps and 19 special-teams plays in his pro debut.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Buccaneers cornerback Jamel Dean made two tackles, intercepted a pass and broke up another one. Dean played a team-leading 58 defensive snaps and 19 special-teams plays in his pro debut.

Nice debut

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Nice debut

Absolutely awesome. We’ve had some secondary success in the NFL.

Glad to see Duke Williams on a team for now 

Archived