Oregon and Tulane since AU

AU-24

Just went back to the prediction thread and most people said 8-9 wins with 9 wins being the best scenario. @Eagle Eye 7 you never gave a true prediction but you did say if Gus called the game with confidence we can be 11-1 or 12-0. Guess what? Statistically speaking, this still can be accomplished. You also, like most, hyped the Aggies. That also happens. The good thing is we can bounce back unlike the Aggies. I predicted we would beat UF and was woefully wrong and I had to eat it. That is okay as well. But on a bell curve, the peak was 8-9 wins THIS year for majority of the fans. That is a very realistic chance of happening.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I mean a lot of folks have tough schedules in the SEC west and They still seem to play for championships . 

Which "folks"?

2012 Alabama 32, Georgia 28    
2013 Auburn 59, Missouri 42    
2014 Alabama 42, Missouri 13    
2015 Alabama 29, Florida 15    
2016 Alabama 54, Florida 16    
2017 Georgia 28, Auburn 7    
2018 Alabama 35, Georgia 28

Since the league expanded to 14 teams adding aTm to the west, there has been exactly ONE other "folks" to play for a championship.  

11 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So your saying 9 would be ok for uat and LSU ?  I mean a lot of folks have tough schedules in the SEC west and They still seem to play for championships . How come it is ok for AU not to win the tough games like LSU and Uat? Just seems every year with Gus we have built in reasons why it’s ok for him to lose tough games and even not so tough games. Maybe that why we don’t play for championships because we are always working with conditions that other teams don’t seem to have. 🤔

Just out of curiosity, name me one of the teams in the country that plays a SEC West schedule, plus Georgia, plus Oregon, plus Tulane.

Keep in mind, we now have an athletic director that did manage to get the Georgia game switched to earlier in the year for future seasons. The SEC’s response:  they scheduled LSU and Alabama back to back. Name me one of the teams in the SEC West that has to play LSU and Alabama in back to back weeks.

Not trying to be a smart @ss in anyway, just explaining the situation, and our athletic department doesn’t seem to be much help. 

Alabama has played one ranked team and they won. Florida has played two ranked teams and they are now 1-1. Georgia has played one ranked team, Notre Dame, that they beat, then they lose to an unranked team, South Carolina. Florida has played two ranked teams and they are also 1-1.

I mean, can you see what we are saying? At the same time, show me this new up-and-coming Dabo Sweeney, and I would be in favor of giving him a very long look. At the same time, the current Sweeney, playing our schedule, would not be as successful as he is in the ACC.

I think what most of us non Gus bashers are saying is: is there really anyone out there that’s absolutely guaranteed to be better than Gus?

8 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Which "folks"?

2012 Alabama 32, Georgia 28    
2013 Auburn 59, Missouri 42    
2014 Alabama 42, Missouri 13    
2015 Alabama 29, Florida 15    
2016 Alabama 54, Florida 16    
2017 Georgia 28, Auburn 7    
2018 Alabama 35, Georgia 28

Since the league expanded to 14 teams adding aTm to the west, there has been exactly ONE other "folks" to play for a championship.  

That pretty much sums it up.

So basically folks we should just mail it in every year because our schedule is too tough. We can’t compete right now with the best so we have to wait it out until bama sucks again...

And since there are no GUARANTEES that someone would be better than Gus( I mean, really, it wouldn’t take that much) then we should just love 8-4 and only beating our rivals every now and then. Because, you know, there are so many guarantees in life you should never step out and take a chance to better yourself...

7 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

So basically folks we should just mail it in every year because our schedule is too tough. We can’t compete right now with the best so we have to wait it out until bama sucks again...

And since there are no GUARANTEES that someone would be better than Gus( I mean, really, it wouldn’t take that much) then we should just love 8-4 and only beating our rivals every now and then. Because, you know, there are so many guarantees in life you should never step out and take a chance to better yourself...

Most people I know don't take foolish chances......and I always love seeing the assumptions that "anyone could be better than".....fill in the blank for the name and school. ... 

Time will tell at AU but and this is JMO, but it would be nice to at least wait until the end of the season to be pushing this issue..   Seems that every week the same story is rehashed.    I think all the opinions are pretty well known by now.  .

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Keep in mind, we now have an athletic director that did manage to get the Georgia game switched to earlier in the year for future seasons. The SEC’s response:  they scheduled LSU and Alabama back to back. Name me one of the teams in the SEC West that has to play LSU and Alabama in back to back weeks.

Playing LSU at home and Bama on the road is still better than playing UGA and Bama on the road to finish the regular season. 

19 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I don’t think we should be okay with it annually but the consensus from many prior to the season was 8-9 wins would be the expectation of a good job by Gus. Many of the posters who hold the same stance you hold seem to also think 9 wins would be credible for Gus, tbh. However, I know 100 percent of us want auburn to win every game. What I will say is there seems to be some imbalance here , not saying it’s you. But I see some folks say we should expect more than 9 wins a season, but on other threads also say there is no way this team can beat LSU and poke fun at those who want to be optimistic. You can’t have it both ways in my eyes. Again not saying you have this position. 

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

Playing LSU at home and Bama on the road is still better than playing UGA and Bama on the road to finish the regular season. 

We had a week in between Alabama and Georgia to heal up. Not anymore. After being beat to death by LSU, the very next week we have to play Alabama.

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

We had a week in between Alabama and Georgia to heal up. Not anymore. After being beat to death by LSU, the very next week we have to play Alabama.

But that's just it, neither does Bama who plays Texas A&M before us. That's no cupcake for them either. Since they couldn't or wouldn't do anything to flip the home/ away with Georgia back like it was I think they did the next best thing. What has to happen is that Auburn has to get back to the point where LSU is licking their wounds after playing us too. We can't continue to not be at least 50/50 against them. That's how we will become like Miss. St. for good. 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

But that's just it, neither does Bama who plays Texas A&M before us. That's no cupcake for them either. Since they couldn't or wouldn't do anything to flip the home/ away with Georgia back like it was I think they did the next best thing. What has to happen is that Auburn has to get back to the point where LSU is licking their wounds after playing us too. We can't continue to not be at least 50/50 against them. That's how we will become like Miss. St. for good. 

I see what you’re saying, but I hope you understand my point. Texas A&M is no LSU.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t think we should be okay with it annually but the consensus from many prior to the season was 8-9 wins would be the expectation of a good job by Gus. Many of the posters who hold the same stance you hold seem to also think 9 wins would be credible for Gus, tbh. However, I know 100 percent of us want auburn to win every game. What I will say is there seems to be some imbalance here , not saying it’s you. But I see some folks say we should expect more than 9 wins a season, but on other threads also say there is no way this team can beat LSU and poke fun at those who want to be optimistic. You can’t have it both ways in my eyes. Again not saying you have this position. 

So, I see what you’re saying but I think, and I can’t speak for everyone who is kinda tired of the Gus roller coaster, but for me its about so much more than Gus.  Its not as if we haven’t been through this with Chiz, Tubs and Bowden and even to some extent with Dye near the end. Its an Auburn thing. Its a “we keep hiring the wrong guy “ thing. Its a behind the scenes political thing. Its always a thing at Auburn. And honestly, when bama hasn’t had the Bahr or Saban and for a brief time Stallings, they have been through the same ups and downs with coaches.  Tennessee is going through it now. So while its not unique to Auburn, it does seem we own the trademark on it. So, despite what some short sighted posters would have you think, I do not believe that firing Gus would magically solve all of Auburn’s problems.  I don’t believe it would magically make us 10-2 or 11-1 every year and start thumping bama and uga. Unless of course we happen to strike gold and find just the right guy but we haven’t done that in 30 years so the odds aren’t good. 

All that said here is where I am with it.  Gus has shown us in 6 years what his likely ceiling is and what he is likely to do more seasons than not. 4 losses every year but one kinda speaks for itself. Now this year isn’t complete and I understand that and again despite what some on here may think I truly hope we win every game left on the schedule. I’ve said the most likely outcome is 9-3 and given the schedule and a freshman QB thats not bad.  BUT...the issues with Gus specifically are the unexplainable offensive performances in big games where it literally looks like he has no answers.  The misuse or lack of use of our talent on offense.  The head scratching play calling that I literally see no where else when I watch football. I keep going back to this but this isn’t year 3. Its year 7.  And if Gus was going to elevate this program, he would’ve done it by now.  He hasn’t. And even IF he finds a way to 10 wins this year and maybe upsets LSU or bama then what about next year when we replace our entire O line and a lot of our best defensive talent is gone?  We could very well be back to 7-5.  Now, again, this has been Auburn football for quite some time.  And truthfully maybe this is just what we are.  I think a lot of us have just reached a point where we would rather go 4-8 and force some changes than stay in this limbo of 8-4.  8-4 gets you nothing. It gets you a decent bowl game in a warm weather climate and thats about it. I believe, and I think many share this belief, that if Auburn could just get the heck out of its own way, and make a good hire ( and no I don’t know exactly who that should be), then it could get into a more consistent 10 win territory. But no one I have seen on this board or talked to in my peer group believes we can do what bama is doing or even what Clemson is doing. But we do believe that 8-4 could be the exception instead of the rule.

And I will add this in response to something you said.  You said everyone wants us to win every game...I’m not entirely convinced of that. I’ve been an Auburn guy my whole life. I grew up loving this school and this team. I’ve been to games, I attended Auburn and I know a lot of Auburn people.  I do believe there is a faction of Auburn fans who are quite content at the 8-4 to 9-3 mark with the occasional win over bama.  They care more about the tailgating in the fall, the status of having season tickets, the post game party or whatever but when it comes down to it they like to win but it doesn’t drive them.  And you know what? Thats ok!  If that’s what they want then by golly they got the right coach!  Iowa fans are obviously quite content with this mentality as long as Ferentz has been there.  He has the occasional 11-2 season and makes a run at a conference title but mostly they end up middle of the pack and go to a decent bowl game. The alumni get to make a trip to Florida in January and all is well. And they seem perfectly happy with that.  And I think a lot of Auburn fans are too. And again, if thats how they feel then fine.  But some of us feel differently and believe this program, particularly after 2010 and 2013 could and should be capable of more. And while I am very aware that changing coaches doesn’t guarantee anything, neither does keeping a coach who has kinda shown what he is over a 6 year period. 

So, sure it sounds contradictory I guess but while I think 9-3 given the circumstances is fine this year, at what point is it not fine?  At what point do we stop making excuses about the schedule?  Whose fault is it that our O line is average?  Whose fault is it they missed on Jeremy Johnson?  Whose fault are all these crazy or non-existent game plans in big games?  I got news for everyone, the schedule ain’t gettin no easier anytime soon with LSU, bama and UGA along with one non con Power 5 opponent every single year.  So at what point do we say ok, Gus is good, he’s ok if thats what we want to be, but if we want more then it may be time to find someone else. And for all those worried about becoming Tennessee well all I can say is Bowden, Tubs and Chiz all had fantastic years during their tenures so it takes a lot not to win at Auburn. The key is it apparently takes a lot more to win BIG at Auburn. 

32 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

So, I see what you’re saying but I think, and I can’t speak for everyone who is kinda tired of the Gus roller coaster, but for me its about so much more than Gus.  Its not as if we haven’t been through this with Chiz, Tubs and Bowden and even to some extent with Dye near the end. Its an Auburn thing. Its a “we keep hiring the wrong guy “ thing. Its a behind the scenes political thing. Its always a thing at Auburn. And honestly, when bama hasn’t had the Bahr or Saban and for a brief time Stallings, they have been through the same ups and downs with coaches.  Tennessee is going through it now. So while its not unique to Auburn, it does seem we own the trademark on it. So, despite what some short sighted posters would have you think, I do not believe that firing Gus would magically solve all of Auburn’s problems.  I don’t believe it would magically make us 10-2 or 11-1 every year and start thumping bama and uga. Unless of course we happen to strike gold and find just the right guy but we haven’t done that in 30 years so the odds aren’t good. 

All that said here is where I am with it.  Gus has shown us in 6 years what his likely ceiling is and what he is likely to do more seasons than not. 4 losses every year but one kinda speaks for itself. Now this year isn’t complete and I understand that and again despite what some on here may think I truly hope we win every game left on the schedule. I’ve said the most likely outcome is 9-3 and given the schedule and a freshman QB thats not bad.  BUT...the issues with Gus specifically are the unexplainable offensive performances in big games where it literally looks like he has no answers.  The misuse or lack of use of our talent on offense.  The head scratching play calling that I literally see no where else when I watch football. I keep going back to this but this isn’t year 3. Its year 7.  And if Gus was going to elevate this program, he would’ve done it by now.  He hasn’t. And even IF he finds a way to 10 wins this year and maybe upsets LSU or bama then what about next year when we replace our entire O line and a lot of our best defensive talent is gone?  We could very well be back to 7-5.  Now, again, this has been Auburn football for quite some time.  And truthfully maybe this is just what we are.  I think a lot of us have just reached a point where we would rather go 4-8 and force some changes than stay in this limbo of 8-4.  8-4 gets you nothing. It gets you a decent bowl game in a warm weather climate and thats about it. I believe, and I think many share this belief, that if Auburn could just get the heck out of its own way, and make a good hire ( and no I don’t know exactly who that should be), then it could get into a more consistent 10 win territory. But no one I have seen on this board or talked to in my peer group believes we can do what bama is doing or even what Clemson is doing. But we do believe that 8-4 could be the exception instead of the rule.

And I will add this in response to something you said.  You said everyone wants us to win every game...I’m not entirely convinced of that. I’ve been an Auburn guy my whole life. I grew up loving this school and this team. I’ve been to games, I attended Auburn and I know a lot of Auburn people.  I do believe there is a faction of Auburn fans who are quite content at the 8-4 to 9-3 mark with the occasional win over bama.  They care more about the tailgating in the fall, the status of having season tickets, the post game party or whatever but when it comes down to it they like to win but it doesn’t drive them.  And you know what? Thats ok!  If that’s what they want then by golly they got the right coach!  Iowa fans are obviously quite content with this mentality as long as Ferentz has been there.  He has the occasional 11-2 season and makes a run at a conference title but mostly they end up middle of the pack and go to a decent bowl game. The alumni get to make a trip to Florida in January and all is well. And they seem perfectly happy with that.  And I think a lot of Auburn fans are too. And again, if thats how they feel then fine.  But some of us feel differently and believe this program, particularly after 2010 and 2013 could and should be capable of more. And while I am very aware that changing coaches doesn’t guarantee anything, neither does keeping a coach who has kinda shown what he is over a 6 year period. 

So, sure it sounds contradictory I guess but while I think 9-3 given the circumstances is fine this year, at what point is it not fine?  At what point do we stop making excuses about the schedule?  Whose fault is it that our O line is average?  Whose fault is it they missed on Jeremy Johnson?  Whose fault are all these crazy or non-existent game plans in big games?  I got news for everyone, the schedule ain’t gettin no easier anytime soon with LSU, bama and UGA along with one non con Power 5 opponent every single year.  So at what point do we say ok, Gus is good, he’s ok if thats what we want to be, but if we want more then it may be time to find someone else. And for all those worried about becoming Tennessee well all I can say is Bowden, Tubs and Chiz all had fantastic years during their tenures so it takes a lot not to win at Auburn. The key is it apparently takes a lot more to win BIG at Auburn. 

I actually read all of this and totally get it. Thanks for voicing this sir. Totally get why you feel the way you do and your frustration better.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I actually read all of this and totally get it. Thanks for voicing this sir. Totally get why you feel the way you do and your frustration better.

Sorry for the length of the post but I felt to get across my feeling it was necessary.

@nixtosanders94 my biggest flaw as a fan for me is I want to give this guy the The benefit of a doubt in my mind. However, my heart says he is not the guy to get us over the hump. I always say, he is like the chucky doll, you think you have ended him but he shows up once again. Gus seems always to do just enough to save himself.  My rationale is it would be suicide to fire a coach who is able to win 9 games with the Potential to earn 10 with a bowl victory. What message would that send to potential other candidates? But the what-if always runs through my mind as well. So I am definitely conflicted.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

@nixtosanders94 my biggest flaw as a fan for me is I want to give this guy the The benefit of a doubt in my mind. However, my heart says he is not the guy to get us over the hump. I always say, he is like the chucky doll, you think you have ended him but he shows up once again. Gus seems always to do just enough to save himself.  My rationale is it would be suicide to fire a coach who is able to win 9 games with the Potential to earn 10 with a bowl victory. What message would that send to potential other candidates? But the what-if always runs through my mind as well. So I am definitely conflicted.

Oh I completely understand. I want so badly to believe in the guy. And again, if we want this kind of consistency then hey Gus is the guy. He’s never had a losing season, been to a bowl every year, won the West twice, won an SECCG and played for a natty. So Im by no means saying he’s a bad coach. But I think 8-4,7-5 will be more the norm with an occasional 10-11 win season where we get to ATL. So, over say a 12 year span, he ends up with one more SECCG appearance, no playoff appearance, makes some kind of bowl every year mostly with 7 or 8 wins and is 12-24 against our rivals...are we ok with that? Hell maybe some are and maybe thats what Auburn is now. I guess I just want more...and maybe Im in the wrong for that. 

37 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Oh I completely understand. I want so badly to believe in the guy. And again, if we want this kind of consistency then hey Gus is the guy. He’s never had a losing season, been to a bowl every year, won the West twice, won an SECCG and played for a natty. So Im by no means saying he’s a bad coach. But I think 8-4,7-5 will be more the norm with an occasional 10-11 win season where we get to ATL. So, over say a 12 year span, he ends up with one more SECCG appearance, no playoff appearance, makes some kind of bowl every year mostly with 7 or 8 wins and is 12-24 against our rivals...are we ok with that? Hell maybe some are and maybe thats what Auburn is now. I guess I just want more...and maybe Im in the wrong for that. 

So glad everyone is being so cordial and respectful with their points here, and the handful of morons who aren’t, are not on this thread.

I guess my point is: we would all love a coach that could consistently win 10 or 11 games per season, but with our current and future schedules, I don’t know of any coach in the country they can do it. Don’t get me wrong,  if they can, I am all ears.

I can’t take credit for this next stat, because I’m not the one that originally posted it... but if Auburn gets a coach that consistently wins 10 games per year, even with an occasional 9 win season, that coach will have the highest winning percentage in the history of Auburn football.

Again, we are all for that, I just don’t know if it’s possible.

12 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Just out of curiosity, name me one of the teams in the country that plays a SEC West schedule, plus Georgia, plus Oregon, plus Tulane.

Not trying to be a smart @ss in anyway, just explaining the situation, and our athletic department doesn’t seem to be much help. 

Alabama has played one ranked team and they won. Florida has played two ranked teams and they are now 1-1. Georgia has played one ranked team, Notre Dame, that they beat, then they lose to an unranked team, South Carolina. Florida has played two ranked teams and they are also 1-1.

I mean, can you see what we are saying? At the same time, show me this new up-and-coming Dabo Sweeney, and I would be in favor of giving him a very long look. At the same time, the current Sweeney, playing our schedule, would not be as successful as he is in the ACC.

I think what most of us non Gus bashers are saying is: is there really anyone out there that’s absolutely guaranteed to be better than Gus?

Actually TAM was ranked harder than our schedule. Your also using pre season rankings that don’t turn out quite like expected. If you happened to be in the big ten or big twelve you would probably believe the SEC schedule was not as hard. Another words your talking about your perspective. Most think Clemson has an easy schedule yet they have beat uat twice in the last 4 years. Big ten and big twelve play 9 conference games to our 8 you throw in our powder puff games such as Kent st and Stamford’s and there could be all kind of folks that would disagree with your thoughts of our schedule . Remember we our two biggest rivals at home this year. Not arguing your point just saying your point is an opinion that can’t be confirmed to till the end of the year . Good example mrs state was thought to be a top 25 team beginning of the season and how good really is TAM and OM and Arky ? Was Fla really that good or is LSU just that much better. Just saying.

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Actually TAM was ranked harder than our schedule. Your also using pre season rankings that don’t turn out quite like expected. If you happened to be in the big ten or big twelve you would probably believe the SEC schedule was not as hard. Another words your talking about your perspective. Most think Clemson has an easy schedule yet they have beat uat twice in the last 4 years. Big ten and big twelve play 9 conference games to our 8 you throw in our powder puff games such as Kent st and Stamford’s and there could be all kind of folks that would disagree with your thoughts of our schedule . Remember we our two biggest rivals at home this year. Not arguing your point just saying your point is an opinion that can’t be confirmed to till the end of the year . Good example mrs state was thought to be a top 25 team beginning of the season and how good really is TAM and OM and Arky ? Was Fla really that good or is LSU just that much better. Just saying.

Why would someone on the big ten or big 12 not think the SEC schedule is hard? What are you basing that on? Clemson does have a weaker schedule, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are a weak team. Oklahoma has loss to both UGA and Bama the last two years and their coach is continuously praised. We face those two squads every year. I don't know exactly where you are going with this. 

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

So glad everyone is being so cordial and respectful with their points here, and the handful of morons who aren’t, are not on this thread.

I guess my point is: we would all love a coach that could consistently win 10 or 11 games per season, but with our current and future schedules, I don’t know of any coach in the country they can do it. Don’t get me wrong,  if they can, I am all ears.

I can’t take credit for this next stat, because I’m not the one that originally posted it... but if Auburn gets a coach that consistently wins 10 games per year, even with an occasional 9 win season, that coach will have the highest winning percentage in the history of Auburn football.

Again, we are all for that, I just don’t know if it’s possible.

The schedule is what it is. Most years it turns out not to be quite as tough as it appears. Like this season, it looks like A&M is weaker than thought, MSU is definitely weaker than some thought, heck even UGA might be an easier game than first thought (Im not saying it is for sure just based on Saturday). I just don’t like the idea of excusing any coach every year because the schedule is rough. Recruit better, coach better, play better...that will overcome a lot of schedule issues. 

As I said before, I certainly don’t think the next AU coach will automatically be the guy who gets us to another level. But you know, I NEVER thought I’d be more excited for a AU basketball season than football AND have watched them play in a Final Four but here we are. 😁

Just now, DAG said:

Why would someone on the big ten or big 12 not think the SEC schedule is hard? What are you basing that on? Clemson does have a weaker schedule, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are a weak team. Oklahoma has loss to both UGA and Bama the last two years and their coach is continuously praised. We face those two squads every year. I don't know exactly where you are going with this. 

Yes I hear tv and coaches claim each week that the SEC is overrated and should play 9 conference games like them. I didn’t say I believed it I just said there are many people outside the SEC that would disagree with you. Also you claim uat’s week schedule but then you want to claim them as our hardest team. Besides us they play 5 of the teams we play ever year. Right now UT is not as good as uga but surely has not always been the case. Last year we loss to ut remember ? I’m sure you didn’t think they were tough last year did you? Or should we give uat credit for beating a team we lost to last year. If memory serves me uat played UF a couple of years ago and beat them. What I’m saying is give credit where credit is due. Good coaches win games period. uat playing mostly the same teams we do haven’t lost more than 2 games in a year in the last 10. So you think we are not capable because we are Auburn of expecting that instead of 7-5 or 8-4 ? I guess I expect more from AU. And I surely expect more of a coach that making top 5 salary of 7 million a year. 

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes I hear tv and coaches claim each week that the SEC is overrated and should play 9 conference games like them. I didn’t say I believed it I just said there are many people outside the SEC that would disagree with you. Also you claim uat’s week schedule but then you want to claim them as our hardest team. Besides us they play 5 of the teams we play ever year. Right now UT is not as good as uga but surely has not always been the case. Last year we loss to ut remember ? I’m sure you didn’t think they were tough last year did you? Or should we give uat credit for beating a team we lost to last year. If memory serves me uat played UF a couple of years ago and beat them. What I’m saying is give credit where credit is due. Good coaches win games period. uat playing mostly the same teams we do haven’t lost more than 2 games in a year in the last 10. So you think we are not capable because we are Auburn of expecting that instead of 7-5 or 8-4 ? I guess I expect more from AU. And I surely expect more of a coach that making top 5 salary of 7 million a year. 

I think you need to get your facts straight. I didn't claim a single thing. I am just wondering how you logically can try to argue that big ten and especially Big 12 teams wouldn't consider our schedule tough. tOSU annually loses to groups they have no business losing to and don't play nearly the OOC or scheduled type of games we play. 

20 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

The schedule is what it is. Most years it turns out not to be quite as tough as it appears. Like this season, it looks like A&M is weaker than thought, MSU is definitely weaker than some thought, heck even UGA might be an easier game than first thought (Im not saying it is for sure just based on Saturday). I just don’t like the idea of excusing any coach every year because the schedule is rough. Recruit better, coach better, play better...that will overcome a lot of schedule issues. 

As I said before, I certainly don’t think the next AU coach will automatically be the guy who gets us to another level. But you know, I NEVER thought I’d be more excited for a AU basketball season than football AND have watched them play in a Final Four but here we are. 😁

Great point. I remember a few years ago folks saying we shouldn’t expect our basketball program to be equal to UK UT Fla or even USCe. Now heck we got a coach that takes us to the final four and beats UK NC and Kansas in a row. So I don’t think it’s about who we are I think we don’t have a coach that wants to win bad enough. JMHO

7 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/sports/tulane/article_93988fa6-ee05-11e9-834f-07d1b08fd3df.amp.html

On verge of top 25 ranking, Tulane football team just worried about winning

This was supposed to be one of our easier wins.

Absolutely no disrespect intended here 24, but can we stop with the Tulane stuff? They play in the AAC. I will concede they are a good team if you could concede there is no world in which Auburn should be measured against Tulane...like, ever. I for one realize how we played against Tulane is fairly meaningless anyway considering in 2017 we struggled with Mercer but won the West.

Archived