Oregon and Tulane since AU

AU-24

11 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

At some point isn’t this just ridiculous? Have you ever seen the like? A coach who is neither great nor terrible who traps us in this perpetual cycle of hope and disappointment. 

Mark Richt did it for years to UGA, even though his success is higher compared to ours.

The cowboys are going through it with Jason Garrett. It happens . 

Also Michigan State is going through it.

Edit: Ron Rivera with my panthers too unfortunately 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DAG said:

Mark Richt did it for years to UGA, even though his success is higher compared to ours.

The cowboys are going through it with Jason Garrett. It happens 

Also Michigan State is going through it.

I’m a Cowboys fan too...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

2 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I’m a panthers fan so we are going through it too. Maybe this will be the year Ron finally has consecutive winning seasons.

5 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Kirk Ferentz has been at Iowa since 99............ Imagine if we had AT THE BARE MINIMUM 13 more years of this!!!!!!!! lol. The very thought of this experience lasting for that much longer gives me chills brother! haha.  Looking at his record sadly he seems to be the one who is the more apt comparison to Gustav. A 10 win season every few years or so to call the dogs off when he absolutely needs it then back to the norm which is mediocre seasons.

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kirk Ferentz has been at Iowa since 99............ Imagine if we had AT THE BARE MINIMUM 13 more years of this!!!!!!!! lol. The very thought of this experience lasting for that much longer gives me chills brother! haha.  Looking at his record sadly he seems to be the one who is the more apt comparison to Gustav. A 10 win season every few years or so to call the dogs off when he absolutely needs it then back to the norm which is mediocre seasons.

Yeah Iowans hate him, but then again it is Iowa

11 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Am I reading this correctly: Clemson is #9 in strength of schedule wins this year?  They haven’t beaten anyone this year with a winning record. 

:gofig:

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

If you thought this years OL was bad wait till next years....... And we lose a lot of top end defensive talent after this season too so the defense is less likely going to be able to save him as well.

Agree on defense, especially the line.  But, I will truly be shocked if we put out an O-line worse than this one.  Even if Gus manages to get through this year, he has to get a real O-line coach.

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Agree on defense, especially the line.  But, I will truly be shocked if we put out an O-line worse than this one.  Even if Gus manages to get through this year, he has to get a real O-line coach.

I mean all the guys who will start next year are the same guys who got beat out by the guys now. Unless some of our JUCO guys we have coming in turn out to be really good. But def agreed!!! O line coach is the biggest weakness on staff.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I mean all the guys who will start next year are the same guys who got beat out by the guys now. Unless some of our JUCO guys we have coming in turn out to be really good. But def agreed!!! O line coach is the biggest weakness on staff.

Maybe it is all a sham and the guys that got beat out this year are actually better than the starters and the coach doesn’t recognize it. 

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

THIS. IS. MY. LEAST. FAVORITE. TAKE. If a coach needs to be replaced you do not go wayuuuuuuuul there is no obvious candidate out there. LETS STICK WITH WHAT WE HAVE!!!! NOOOO!!!!! If a coach needs to be replaced then he should be replaced. I rather keep swinging and lifting the bat off the shoulder than just keep taking a called strike 3. You cannot have that mindset of keeping a  under achieving coach just for the sake of keeping him because you are scared about who the next hire is. That is not the kind of mentality that is going to get us anywhere. Also if history is any indication then one of said new coaches first couple of years will be one of those magical AU years where we win a title and come close to going undefeated. SO SWITCHING COACHES DOOOOEEEEES always inject a lot of life and good fortune in to the program.

What part of this that I wrote did you fail to understand? " If/when a change is required, make one" ? A change isn't required now. I'm still waiting for the name of Coach Magic that the big talkers think is just waiting to take over and win 12 a year at AU.

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

.SO SWITCHING COACHES DOOOOEEEEES always inject a lot of life and good fortune in to the program.

LMAO! better check with Tennessee, Florida, etc, etc, etc about that one

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What part of this that I wrote did you fail to understand? " If/when a change is required, make one" ? A change isn't required now. I'm still waiting for the name of Coach Magic that the big talkers think is just waiting to take over and win 12 a year at AU.

LMAO! better check with Tennessee, Florida, etc, etc, etc about that one

You really just totally glossed over this whole thread since you last posted lol.............. When has us EVER changing coaches turned us in to what Rocky Top has become since they let go Fulmer? You literally just had several posters outline how changing coaches always gives us one of our best seasons in history. Come on Mike. Try to play ball and work with us here man. Even when a change will be required do not pretend like your mindset will also change with it. You still will be banging the drum for the WELL PLEASE SHOW US WHO WE CAN GET WHO IS BETTER. All we are trying to say is that is a losing mind set. You cannot not change coaches just because you are scared of who the next one will be. 

rr.gif

8 hours ago, keesler said:

It's not that damn hard Mikey.  Seriously man, why should Auburn be choosy now when they've haven't done it in the last 50 yrs?  Compare any coaching candidate in today's environment and compare them to the likes of the candidates that were actually HIRED.

Doug Barfield who'd never been a HC 

Pat Dye  from Wyoming

Terry Bowden  from Samford

Tommy Tubs from Ole Miss

Gene Chizik  from Iowa State (5-19 record)

Gus Malzhan  from Arky State (1 yr HC experience)

It's not like Auburn has ever shot for the stars when searching for a head football coach.  They've taken just any old body in the past.😒   

Why should we be choosy now? Because right now we aren't in a a bind like we were in when the above were hired. Also, look at your list. How many of them were a success? Dye, who had a solid record at East Carolina before his one year at Wyoming and Tuberville who had great creds as an assistant at Miami prior to Ol' Miss. I'd call Bowden and Malzahn successes but not many others here would. So, by board standards 2/6 of those were a success. I don't like the odds.

12 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Couple of things. That is the WEAKEST reply to any argument, i.e. "you think you can do better?"

I got a question for you. Would you have hired Tater Tot, Ears, 5-19, or the genius? I would not have hired a single one of those guys because they are all mediocre at best and had never shown anything above mediocre. Yet they all had at least one wildly successful season where? Auburn yeah.

I'd rather go 4-8 a few time as long as I know the admin is searching for excellence than go 8-4 and be satisfied with mediocrity.

Lets all start rowing the boat in the same direction.;D

Fine. Then let's have the whiners and complainers root for the Auburn coaches and team instead of griping their lives away.

PS: That "satisfied with mediocrity" nonsense is just that, nonsense. It must sound good to the whiners because they type it a lot but it's never been true.

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

When has us EVER changing coaches turned us in to what Rocky Top

We are way past due for that. Do you think there's something in the water here that turns a mistake into a one year wonder? We've been very lucky. Before we try this again there had better be some solid reasons for a change and a solid guy to take the job. Look at what bammer went through before Saban got there. Think there's some great gremlin that will protect us from that? There isn't.

Things will have to be worse here than what they are now before a change is even considered.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

We are way past due for that. Do you think there's something in the water here that turns a mistake into a one year wonder? We've been very lucky. Before we try this again there had better be some solid reasons for a change and a solid guy to take the job. Look at what bammer went through before Saban got there. Think there's some great gremlin that will protect us from that? There isn't.

Things will have to be worse here than what they are now before a change is even considered.

THAT. IS. THE. FRICKIN. POINT. Auburn is such a great program. We are set up so well to succeed  that even with every coach since Dye being mediocre at best none of them were abject failures. All of them had at least 1 great season. None were a total disaster. Just think if we actually make a good hire. We can finally get to where we want to go as a program CONSISTENTLY.  Which has long alluded us.

You are giving our current position to much credit. 4 of the last 6 seasons resulted in 4 losses or more. That is unacceptable for a prestigious program like ours. If it happens again this year......... a change absolutely should be considered. Even if it is not then there is absolutely no way he makes it past 2020 because the bottom will fall out then and there will be no choice. Either get out ahead of it now or just wait for the inevitable to happen in a year. 

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

there is absolutely no way he makes it past 2020 because the bottom will fall out then and there will be no choice.

The bottom was supposed to fall out this year. According to the negatators we'd be lucky to be 3-3 at this point. Some on this board had us at 2-4 by now. That didn't happen. How can anyone predict bad things about 2020 when so many already blew 2019?

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The bottom was supposed to fall out this year. According to the negatators we'd be lucky to be 3-3 at this point. Some on this board had us at 2-4 by now. That didn't happen. How can anyone predict bad things about 2020 when so many already blew 2019?

Go back to the prediction thread from this season.  A lot of the nega barners( me in cluded) had us at no worse than 8-4. You do not give us enough credit. We are more realistic than you think. More reactionary than anything. 

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Go back to the prediction thread from this season.  A lot of the nega barners( me in cluded) had us at no worse than 8-4. You do not give us enough credit. We are more realistic than you think. More reactionary than anything. 

Thank you for debating his nonsense @GwillMac6! Just unbelievable his mind set.  The whole point is that we SHOULDN'T accept 4 losses a year...It SHOULD be unacceptable to do that at Auburn. The problem is that it is acceptable and obviously its more than acceptable to Mikey. 

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Really this season was the best case scenario for awhile. We have a veteran DL with an NFL first rounder, good young talent at lb, decent experience in the secondary. Our OL is as veteran as it will be for a while, a lot of skill and depth at WR and we have a lot of experience - if average talent - in the backfield. With our schedule and an antiquated offense, I expected us to struggle. We've outperformed my expectations. Next year, I just don't see it on paper. We will have a lot more holes to fill. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I would also add that its not like its difficult to predict our seasons under Gus...they all end with four losses except one...and that one was six years ago...I’d say predicting 8-4 is fairly safe...

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Florida? Huh?

Who's the "etc" that you keep mentioning?

Yes, Florida. Texas, UAT, SoCal, all perfect examples of top level programs that couldn't hire a successful coach, try as they might.

3 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Thank you for debating his nonsense @GwillMac6! Just unbelievable his mind set.  The whole point is that we SHOULDN'T accept 4 losses a year...It SHOULD be unacceptable to do that at Auburn. The problem is that it is acceptable and obviously its more than acceptable to Mikey. 

You said you were going to ignore me. I liked it better that way.  Apparently your willpower isn't much better than your ideas about our football program.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Do you not feel like the bottom fell out last year?  With embarrassing losses to MSU & UT, then UGA and the coaches all but gave up in the IB by milking the clock down so the score wouldn't look so bad.  There were times last year where the staff and players lost focus and it showed on the field. 

That's the bottom falling out IMO with power people pulling in all directions and folks courting a HC replacement behind the scenes, fans in an uproar - a media feeding frenzy.  

I don't participate in the preseason predictions, it serves no purpose.  This coaching staff has had this program on a consistently even path for many years now, averaging 4 losses and year.  That's not bad, it's middling.😒

Archived