Oregon and Tulane since AU

AU-24

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I don't participate in the preseason predictions, it serves no purpose. 

Hear, hear.

I participate in preseason wishes, and it's the same couple every season. Show up prepared for and be competitive in every game, and get better as the season goes on. Was looking pretty good til the last game.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, keesler said:

Do you not feel like the bottom fell out last year?

The bottom fell out in 1998, 2008 and 2012. That's the bottom falling out. Last year was disappointing but it was a long way from the bottom falling out.

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The bottom fell out in 1998, 2008 and 2012. That's the bottom falling out. Last year was disappointing but it was a long way from the bottom falling out.

I respect your opinions Mikey.  Frankly, some fans are tired of being disappointed when a top 5 paid staff can't get their team over the hump.

In today's college football environment, my view of the Auburn's position is very different from what it was in years ago.  Like someone posted last week, Auburn leveled up when they won it all in 2010 and went right back to the big stage again in 2013.  The old times are in the rear-view mirror now, it's passed time to move on and establish a forward thinking view. 

CGM has always known what the Family expects, he's made promises multiple times to change and evolve.  This staff has 7 more weeks to earn their pay and put this team in championship contention, it's what many of these seniors came back for and it's time this staff delivers.

59 minutes ago, keesler said:

I respect your opinions Mikey.  Frankly, some fans are tired of being disappointed when a top 5 paid staff can't get their team over the hump.

In today's college football environment, my view of the Auburn's position is very different from what it was in years ago.  Like someone posted last week, Auburn leveled up when they won it all in 2010 and went right back to the big stage again in 2013.  The old times are in the rear-view mirror now, it's passed time to move on and establish a forward thinking view. 

CGM has always known what the Family expects, he's made promises multiple times to change and evolve.  This staff has 7 more weeks to earn their pay and put this team in championship contention, it's what many of these seniors came back for and it's time this staff delivers.

Post...of...the...year...

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Why should we be choosy now? Because right now we aren't in a a bind like we were in when the above were hired

This is your thinking and that’s fine.  My take on hiring a new coach is; why do we need to wait until we are in a bind to replace a coach that some see is not the right fit for Auburn?  I believe if the powers that be at Auburn decide a change is necessary to get Auburn to the next level, they shouldn’t wait until we are in a bind.  Gus has had 7 years to show Auburn he can consistently produce a contender and that has not happened. I have no say in the matter and neither do you.  My heart wants to see Auburn be a contender every year and that may not be what Auburn wants out of the program and it is frustrating.

When Gus sees something that isn't really working that well, he'll stick with it because he thinks the 10th or 100th time is a charm, and because he's scared that trying something else might fail worse.

A lot of this conversation suddenly just made sense to me.

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Post...of...the...year...

Should be pinned for EVERY year.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Chef Mikey got the pot going lol

He is the deftest of trolls.  Very skilled indeed.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes, Florida. Texas, UAT, SoCal, all perfect examples of top level programs that couldn't hire a successful coach, try as they might.

Ok. I'll do it again.

Florida had 1 coach and 3 seasons between Spurrier and Meyer. They went 4 seasons between Spurrier's final season (10-2) and Meyer's first national championship. They then went 8 seasons between Meyer's final season and Mullen's first season (10 wins, just beat Gus). During those 8 seasons, they had 2 10-win seasons and averaged 4.5 losses. So Florida's inability to hire a successful coach is roughly equal to our ability to keep Gus. 

Texas's first hire after Brown was a 3-season mistake. The next guy won 10 games in his 2nd season and currently has them ranked 4 spots behind Auburn. He's in his 3rd season. Gus lost 6 games in his 3rd season. 

I mean, surely you're joking about those two? 

bama was heavily sanctioned for much of the post-Stallings era. Yet, during that 10-year nightmare, each coach except the Rolling Baby guy who didn't actually coach the game had a 10-win season and they averaged 5.5 losses a season. And then they hired the greatest coach in history. 

USC is the only arguable one of the bunch, really, but it's been 10 years since Carroll and, also despite sanctions, they've averaged 4.3 losses a year and have 4 10-win seasons. So basically their particular nightmare has been slightly better than Chizik + Gus, minus the Cam year. (Thanks for the assist, Kenny Rogers!)

So yeah. bama had some issues, kept trying, got the best coach in history. USC might take a little longer. But they keep trying and have stayed about as good as we have.

So Tennessee aaaaand... ?

Last title
 UF - 2008
 TX - 2005
USC - 2007

So none of these programs have won a national title in over a decade.  Yet they are all considered top level programs.  Yes I would say that since none of the 10 have even been close in the last decade, then my guess is that @Mikey is not joking.  

Think about that for just a minute.  None of these programs in all their glory were even close since the current recruiting class was at best 8yrs old.  So they are basically irrelevant to these kids in that regards.

6 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Last title
 UF - 2008
 TX - 2005
USC - 2007

So none of these programs have won a national title in over a decade.  Yet they are all considered top level programs.  Yes I would say that since none of the 10 have even been close in the last decade, then my guess is that @Mikey is not joking.  

Think about that for just a minute.  None of these programs in all their glory were even close since the current recruiting class was at best 8yrs old.  So they are basically irrelevant to these kids in that regards.

There's a vast gap between "national title" and "averaging 4 losses a season or worse". 

Also, Florida and Texas have consistently recruited in the top 10 the entire time. Texas in particular is a brand on par with the bluest of blue blood programs.

USC has not fared nearly as well, but again, four 10-wins seasons in the last 10 years hardly seems "irrelevant". They finished ranked #3 just a couple years ago.

A handful of folks keep suggesting that we're likely to fall off a cliff if we fire Gus. There's just no prevailing logic that I've heard to back that up. Track record suggests that we'll get better in the short term- just like Gus did- and logic and available data suggest that we're unlikely to get any worse. 

13 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Last title
 UF - 2008
 TX - 2005
USC - 2007

Well if you’re basing it off national titles I guess Auburn was irrelevant for 53 years before 2010.  And since its been 9 years since we won ours I guess Auburn is irrelevant now. I don’t understand your point.  I think Loof has a point about all those schools and Tennessee is the only real cautionary tale there.  Right now it feels like we are stuck in 8-4 purgatory and will never get out. 

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The only other one you can possibly add would be Nebraska. But even they haven't been as bad as Tennessee.

After they got rid of Frank Solich in 2003, they hired Bill Calahan who didn't work out. He had 2 winning seasons. His best year they went 9-5 in 2006 and lost to us in the Cotton Bowl. Then they hired Bo Pelini. He won 9+ games every year from 2008-2014. Then Mike Riley was hired and he only had 1 good season, 9-4 in 2016. And now they've got Scott Frost.

Since 2008:

Tennessee: zero 10 win seasons. 4 winning seasons, 7 losing seasons

Nebraska: three 10 wins seasons, 8 winning seasons, 3 losing seasons

1 minute ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The only other one you can possibly add would be Nebraska. But even they haven't been as bad as Tennessee.

After they got rid of Frank Solich in 2003, they hired Bill Calahan who didn't work out. He had 2 winning seasons. His best year they went 9-5 in 2006 and lost to us in the Cotton Bowl. Then they hired Bo Pelini. He won 9+ games every year from 2008-2014. Then Mike Riley was hired and he only had 1 good season, 9-4 in 2016. And now they've got Scott Frost.

Since 2008:

Tennessee: zero 10 win seasons. 4 winning seasons, 7 losing seasons

Nebraska: three 10 wins seasons, 8 winning seasons, 3 losing seasons

And both of those programs sit outside the top 15 in recruiting on average the last 4 years. Nebraska sits behind South Carolina. We have recruiting advantages over both and it's not just because of our staff. But I do give Gus and his guys a ton of credit for our current recruiting status. They've been killing it. 

I don't believe anybody is suggesting that Auburn should be winning National Titles on a regular basis so not sure why that keeps being brought up.  However, many (dare I say most) of us DO believe 4 loss seasons at Auburn University should be very rare and only in odd rebuilding years (as Auburn SHOULD be reloading by now...not rebuilding).

As I've stated before, I personally am not so worried about Natties as they are still mightily subjective and dependant on human polls & opinions.  CONFERENCE Championships on the other hand, are purely won on the field.  THOSE should be obtainable by a 7th year, $50M coach...

I am actually enjoying this debate between both sides honestly . I think both make good points that should be considered. I definitely don’t think you should be too afraid to make a change because of the unknown or fear , but I also think people need to be logical in what is exactly out there. My thinking is people are so gung-ho on the idea that we have the money to make a change , to the point that if we don’t get a big name , there will be gnashing if teeth. Based on what is out there, this is a real possibility. Another thing which also affects this is the perception and precedent we set on when and why we fire a coach. That in itself could drive market value up to get someone here period. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I am actually enjoying this debate between both sides honestly . I think both make good points that should be considered. I definitely don’t think you should be too afraid to make a change because of the unknown or fear , but I also think people need to be logical in what is exactly out there. My thinking is people are so gung-ho on the idea that we have the money to make a change , to the point that if we don’t get a big name , there will be gnashing if teeth. Based on what is out there, this is a real possibility. Another thing which also affects this is the perception and precedent we set on when and why we fire a coach. That in itself could drive market value up to get someone here period. 

The problem is when you are comparing what coaches are out there, you need to understand they won’t be “ out there” they will be at Auburn. So these coaches that are winning with much less talent will be at Auburn where their talent level will rise dramatically. It is true that they will also play teams of a higher caliber as well. So a coach presently at UCF and winning with the talent he has against opponents in P5 that have much better talent and resources is a good coach to be interested in. To often we look at these lower tier coaches that are successful at their level and say yep but it’s not our level and that’s not fair. What I want is a coach that has ability to recruit players, the ability to coach them up and is not always looking for an excuse when he fails. Also I never want to hear “wait till next year” come out of his mouth.

42 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't believe anybody is suggesting that Auburn should be winning National Titles on a regular basis so not sure why that keeps being brought up.  However, many (dare I say most) of us DO believe 4 loss seasons at Auburn University should be very rare and only in odd rebuilding years (as Auburn SHOULD be reloading by now...not rebuilding).

As I've stated before, I personally am not so worried about Natties as they are still mightily subjective and dependant on human polls & opinions.  CONFERENCE Championships on the other hand, are purely won on the field.  THOSE should be obtainable by a 7th year, $50M coach...

Exactly. We don’t have to win every year but we do need to be in the running every year. I expect AU to be a top 25 at the end of every year . I expect us to be in the top ten at some point at least every other year .I expect AU to be in the the SEC west race every year In November . We should be capable of at least doing that. What I don’t want is losses to teams that are not better than us. We need to win all we are supposed too and at minimum 50/50 of the toss up games. If Gus can’t do that then it’s time to find someone that can.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

The problem is when you are comparing what coaches are out there, you need to understand they won’t be “ out there” they will be at Auburn. So these coaches that are winning with much less talent will be at Auburn where their talent level will rise dramatically. It is true that they will also play teams of a higher caliber as well. So a coach presently at UCF and winning with the talent he has against opponents in P5 that have much better talent and resources is a good coach to be interested in. To often we look at these lower tier coaches that are successful at their level and say yep but it’s not our level and that’s not fair. What I want is a coach that has ability to recruit players, the ability to coach them up and is not always looking for an excuse when he fails. Also I never want to hear “wait till next year” come out of his mouth.

Well I am a fan of the lower tier coaches who make nothing from something. My assumptions is a good bunch of our fanbase won’t be. We have heard the name Stoops and I can imagine someone with the name and reputation of that person would be the expectation. 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hear, hear.

I participate in preseason wishes, and it's the same couple every season. Show up prepared for and be competitive in every game, and get better as the season goes on. Was looking pretty good til the last game.

we've had a lot of those 'was looking pretty good til the last game' moments over the last 6+ years!  

Cool, I see we're still talking firing His after one loss?

Has everyone forgot that a new coach will cost us at least $40 Mil? I don't know if you've noticed but Texas A&M's $75 Million coach continued Kevin Sumlin's 8-4 trend and at best will go 8-4 again this year. Money doesn't always fix everything and $40-60 Million is not something you just gamble with.

I know everyone loves to complain, but it's teetering on unreasonable.

See y'all after we blow Arkansas out ✌🏼

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Cool, I see we're still talking firing His after one loss?

Has everyone forgot that a new coach will cost us at least $40 Mil? I don't know if you've noticed but Texas A&M's $75 Million coach continued Kevin Sumlin's 8-4 trend and at best will go 8-4 again this year. Money doesn't always fix everything and $40-60 Million is not something you just gamble with.

I know everyone loves to complain, but it's teetering on unreasonable.

See y'all after we blow Arkansas out ✌🏼

🙄

19 hours ago, McLoofus said:

All you did was beat around the bush and attempt to make it look like the teams I listed didn't struggle when they did struggle badly. So it's Tennessee and the other ones I listed for you. Last year when I posted a list of O-linemen you craw-fished  on that one too. Perhaps you should consider a new tactic?

Archived