Pat Sullivan has passed away

AUDub

I got a text on Sunday after returning home from Auburn that Pat had passed.  One of my childhood heroes and probably the most humble man I have ever known.  We have lost a legend.  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP Pat, and may the Lord bless and comfort his family. He will be missed by many like me. I never had the pleasure to meet Pat on a personal level but in the fall of 1967 we did meet on the football field. Pat was a senior QB at John Carroll and I was a freshman second string DB for Hewitt Trussville.  I don’t remember the score but they beat us pretty bad😂. He was a star then , we all knew his name and the legend he always was. He never let that star status keep him from being a great person, leader and an Auburn man throughout his life. I will be ever grateful for the 60 minutes of just being on the same field with him. May God bless you Pat, and your family. 

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

via Twitter/bigaub

One of those is mine. Placed it  there Sunday afternoon. A photographer from the Alumni Assn. took my pic when I placed it and it is on the AU Alumni Assn. Facebook page today.

I was a sophomore at AU when Pat Sullivan was a senior and won the Heisman Trophy.  My lasting memory of him had nothing to do with his skills in football, but rather I recall an occasion watching Pat play in a pickup basketball game in the Spring (following winning the Heisman) in the student rec gym.  He played the pickup game as if it were a national championship game -- with a whole lot more tenacity than one might have expected for a pickup game.  I concluded after watching Pat play that he was an innately competitive guy, which surely contributed to his success and served him well on and off the football field.  

On 12/1/2019 at 11:39 AM, Win4AU said:

He’s been sick on and off for years.  Sad news to lose a legend.

Am I mistaken or did he battle cancer during his time at TCU?..........lost a Legend.......prayers sent for his family.

1 hour ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I was a sophomore at AU when Pat Sullivan was a senior and won the Heisman Trophy.  My lasting memory of him had nothing to do with his skills in football, but rather I recall an occasion watching Pat play in a pickup basketball game in the Spring (following winning the Heisman) in the student rec gym.  He played the pickup game as if it were a national championship game -- with a whole lot more tenacity than one might have expected for a pickup game.  I concluded after watching Pat play that he was an innately competitive guy, which surely contributed to his success and served him well on and off the football field.  

Thanks for sharing.

This really hits home to me as he was a contemporary of mine. (I played against him in high school.)

I remember all the games - particularly watching Beasley go long and just knowing what was about to happen. 

I also have a vivid memory of the "Manassas" concert in the coliseum in which Stephen Stills walked on stage wearing a #7 Auburn jersey. We went nuts.

Only 69 years old.  Life can be so unfair. :no:

At and engagement party in New Orleans Sunday afternoon.  Archie Manning was there as a friend of the future brides family. After being introduced as an Auburn guy he informed me that he had received a call early Sunday morning informing him that his "good friend Pat had just passed away". Said he had just talked with Pat recently. 

Always remember the 1971 Gator Bowl featuring Pat vs Archie. Great day for both quarterbacks with Pat coming out on top.

http://www.warblogle.com/2010/10/27/football/a-look-back-1971-auburn-vs-ole-miss-gator-bowl/

17 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Am I mistaken or did he battle cancer during his time at TCU?..........lost a Legend.......prayers sent for his family.

Underwent chemo while he was at Samford. 

I remember the Senior Bowl when Sullivan and Florida's John Reaves were the quarterbacks. Both were allowed to wear #7 along with the S and R. Most people would say that Pat's S was for Sullivan but through an 11 year old boy eyes I knew that S stood for Superman. 

Screenshot_20191205-165701~2.png

On 12/3/2019 at 10:47 AM, SaltyTiger said:

1971 Gator Bowl featuring Pat vs Archie.

That was my parents honeymoon

Archived