playoff rankings: Auburn 11 Alabama 12

Eagle Eye 7

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Basically we need Wisconsin or Baylor to lose and not only lose but get beaten bad so we can jump over them. If they’re still ranked ahead they get the NY6

Only way would be a possible at large bid

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching this bammer meltdown has been epically satisfying. One of the best we've seen in a while. They continually embarrass themselves. 

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Interesting what logic & reason uncover when hype is peeled away. Bama lost to both good teams they played. Oddly, UF lost to 2 of the 3 teams they played that are currently ranked yet they're sitting pretty. 

It's likely because of the one ranked team they did beat, & how much respect the CFP committee has for AU.

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

The way the pollsters are jerking LSU around, if, by chance, they lose to UGA, they may drop them out of the playoff picture.  I don’t see LSU losing but stranger things have happened. 

I expect that if LSU takes care of business on Saturday, there’s a good chance they move back up to #1.  Of course, how OSU fares against a solid Wisconsin team will be a factor, too.  But UGA is the higher ranked opponent.

28 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

The playoffs will be interesting this season. Clemson looks like the most complete team in my opinion. But it’s honestly a big toss up. I can see OSU, LSU or Clemson taking it. 

I agree. With the Updykes out if the playoffs this year, I’ll actually enjoy watching the playoff games, they will be fun to watch 👍

Based on the latest ratings, it looks like Auburn has a narrow but real path to a NY6 bowl.  Below are the tie-ins for NY6 bowls for when they are not semi-finals (they have a three year rotation).  

• Rose Bowl - Pac 12 vs B1G 
  • Sugar Bowl - Big 12 vs SEC 
  • Orange Bowl - ACC vs B1G/SEC/Notre Dame
  • Fiesta/Peach/Cotton Bowls - At large vs At large

The Fiesta and Peach bowls are semi-final hosts this year, so six of the remaining eight slots have conference tie-ins.  Throw in the top Group of Five champion going to the Cotton Bowl, and that is seven of eight.  Auburn can make it if certain specific things occur.

1. Wisconsin must lose to Ohio State, and preferably by a double digit margin.  All scenarios require Wisconsin to lose and fall below us in the rankings.
  2. Oregon must lose to Utah and stay below us in the rankings.
  3. Utah, despite winning the Pac-12, must miss the playoffs and instead take the Pac-12's slot in the Rose Bowl instead of Oregon.  This means either Georgia wins or the Big 12 champion leapfrogs Utah to take a playoff spot. 

If these things happen and Georgia is in the playoff over a Big 12 champ, the NY6 will look close to the below:

• Playoffs - LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia
  • Rose Bowl - Utah vs Penn State
  • Sugar Bowl - Oklahoma/Baylor vs Florida
  • Orange Bowl - Virginia vs Auburn
  • Cotton Bowl - Oklahoma/Baylor vs Memphis/Cincinnati

If these things happen and Big 12 champ is in the playoff over a defeated Georgia, the NY6 will look close to the below:

• Playoffs - LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma/Baylor
  • Rose Bowl - Utah vs Penn State
  • Sugar Bowl - Oklahoma/Baylor vs Georgia
  • Orange Bowl - Virginia vs Florida
  • Cotton Bowl - Auburn vs Memphis/Cincinnati

(This post might be worth a new thread, but I don't know how to make one.  Anyway, I hope you appreciate this.)

7 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

The playoffs will be interesting this season. Clemson looks like the most complete team in my opinion. But it’s honestly a big toss up. I can see OSU, LSU or Clemson taking it. 

So both Ohio State and LSU will want to win big to avoid playing Clemson in the Semifinals. 

Clemson just has to win; they won’t jump to #1 unless the two teams ahead of them both lose, so margin of victory won’t matter. 

18 hours ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Love it.  The committee just spewed all over UAT and likely left them out of a NY6 bowl.  

It's probably intentional by the committee because they know most Bammers won't show up for anything but the big party anyway. I'm not sure I like it if it turns out the be the Cotton for Auburn. The team would have a hell of a lot better time at the Citrus in Orlando than Dallas in January. I don't expect or even care if Brown, Davidson or Bryant plays more than a series or two. Let em have a blast at Disney World and tell em to show up with their check books at the 2021 Alumni fundraiser. WDE

Archived