South Carolina fires Muschamp

AlaskanFAN

South Carolina parts ways with football coach Will Muschamp, sources say

6:11 PM CT
  • low_chris.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Chris LowESPN Senior Writer

South Carolina has parted ways with football coach Will Muschamp in the aftermath of the Gamecocks' third straight straight loss, a 59-42 setback to Ole Miss on Saturday, sources told ESPN.

The Gamecocks (2-5) have allowed a total of 159 points during their three-game losing streak and gave up 708 yards of total offense in the loss to Ole Miss.

Muschamp, in his fifth season as South Carolina's coach, was 28-30 overall. Muschamp recorded more wins in his first three seasons (22) than any coach in school history and trailed only Steve Spurrier (28) after four seasons as South Carolina's coach. But the Gamecocks finished 4-8 a year ago and have lost 14 of their last 20 games dating back to the 28-0 Belk Bowl loss to Virginia to end the 2018 season.

According to the terms of Muschamp's contract, his buyout was in the $15 million range if he were fired at the end of this season. This is the second time that Muschamp has been fired from an SEC head-coaching job. He was dismissed by Florida toward the end of the 2014 season and coached the final two games before stepping away. He spent the 2015 season at Auburn as the Tigers' defensive coordinator.

Muschamp's combined head coaching record at South Carolina and Florida is 56-51. In his second season at Florida in 2012, he was named the SEC's Co-Coach of the Year along with Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin. Muschamp took over for Urban Meyer at Florida and for Spurrier at South Carolina.

Liberty's Hugh Freeze and Louisiana's Billy Napier are expected to be two of the top targets to replace Muschamp.

So much for people getting a free pass due to COVID this season.

• WarTiger changed the title to South Carolina fires Muschamp
27 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

15 million buyout.

Jeez, you would think they would wait until the season was over. At least they had balls. 

Huge balls. I agreed with the chizik tweet about not this year due to money etc. I didn’t think we would see this in 2020.

I could imagine a move like this creates some turmoil within the school itself. People are taking pay cuts but football coaches are getting bought out for millions. Booster money or not people will argue they could have supported the school as a whole. Just my random thoughts on the 2nd and 3rd order effects during these weird times. 

13 hours ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Would love to see him in an “analyst” position back at AU.  

Lord help us if Freeze takes the job at USCe....

Hell, Muschamp just beat us...:gofig:

Muschamp can probably fill a vacancy for next season at a Div II college. Or he could land a job as a DC at a school looking to improve defensively. That would be any program in the Big 12 !!! hahaha Or Ole Miss. Kiffin needs to find some sort of defense. He's not head coaching material, but he is a pretty good DC sort, so I don't expect him to be unemployed next season.

Archived