Winter conditioning, Spring Practice, Aday

Win4AU

Anyone know any details about football activities this spring.  Things are obviously in the air with Covid and a brand new coaching staff but didn’t know if anything had been announced.

it should not be too long. i can say if we are not allowed a spring it would basically wreck this upcoming season. i think it hurt gus because he was bringing inchad and a new O. i cannot imagine what it would do to new D schemes as well. then we will hear about what a bad coach harsin is for months. and people can bitch about what i said but it is true and most of you know this.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

it should not be too long. i can say if we are not allowed a spring it would basically wreck this upcoming season. i think it hurt gus because he was bringing inchad and a new O. i cannot imagine what it would do to new D schemes as well. then we will hear about what a bad coach harsin is for months. and people can bitch about what i said but it is true and most of you know this.

Dang right we will be complaining. What do you expect? We are AU fans hahaha

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how far back you can push spring practice? Does it just have to fall sometime during the spring semester? The further back we can push it the more likely we are to have spring football IMO. 

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I’m not sure the record is much different but having a set Oline going into the season would have been nice.  

After completing a season, and all that entails, there is ZERO reason not to have spring and A Day. The appropriate safeguards and remediation procedures should be routine by now.

3 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

After completing a season, and all that entails, there is ZERO reason not to have spring and A Day. The appropriate safeguards and remediation procedures should be routine by now.

Exactly. It would be hypocritical as hell to pander to tv money to play a season and then shut it down for spring ball.

13 hours ago, gravejd said:

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how far back you can push spring practice? Does it just have to fall sometime during the spring semester? The further back we can push it the more likely we are to have spring football IMO. 

IANAL, but I just took a peek at the NCAA bylaws and it doesn't provide guidance in terms of when during a semester spring football should be, other than it occurs over 34 consecutive days. However, there is some additional guidance that places some de facto limits. First, 17.1.7.2.1 Institutional Vacation Period and Summer states that "A student-athlete may not participate in any countable athletically related activities outside the playing season during any institutional vacation period and/or summer." So, when school is out, they can't participate in a practice. In addition, there's requirements of at least 8 weeks as "student-athlete discretionary time" and 9 CONSECUTIVE weeks of summer conditioning between the conclusion of academic year and the reporting date for preseason practice. I've linked below in case anyone else is a nerd like me.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=8823

17.11.6.1.1 January 1 Until the Start of Preseason Practice. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, between January 1 and the institution's reporting date for preseason practice, an institution shall conduct its out-of-season conditioning period as follows: (Adopted: 4/14/03 effective 5/1/03, Revised: 4/24/03 effective 5/1/03, 12/15/06, 1/14/08, 1/16/10, 7/1/11, 12/6/11, 10/30/13, 4/26/17, 1/23/19)

(a) An institution shall designate eight weeks as student-athlete discretionary time (see Bylaw 17.02.15). The designated eight weeks (each week must be seven consecutive calendar days) must be placed on file in writing in the department of athletics prior to January 1. An institution is permitted to designate institutional vacation periods (e.g., holiday break, spring break) as student-athlete discretionary time.

(d) An institution shall designate nine consecutive weeks between the conclusion of the academic year and its reporting date for preseason practice as its summer conditioning period. During this nine-week period, institutions shall designate one week as student-athlete discretionary time (in addition to the eight weeks already designated).

17.11.6.5 Spring Practice. [FBS/FCS] Fifteen postseason practice sessions [including intrasquad scrimmages and the spring game permitted in Bylaw 17.11.5.2-(a)] are permissible. An institution is not required to count as one of its 15 designated days any day during which countable athletically related activities are limited solely to required conditioning activities, review of game film and/or walk-throughs (see Bylaw 17.02.20). Practice sessions must meet the following conditions: (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/10/91, 1/10/92, 1/11/94, 1/13/98, 6/21/01, 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06, 12/15/06, 4/26/17)

(a) All practice sessions are conducted within a period of 34 consecutive calendar days, omitting vacation and examination days officially announced on the institution's calendar and days during which the institution is closed due to inclement weather.

(b) Any such practice sessions held during vacation days may not be of longer duration than those normally held when academic classes are in session.

(c) Only 12 of the practice sessions may involve contact, and such contact shall not occur prior to the third practice session.

(d) The noncontact practice sessions may involve headgear as the only piece of protective equipment.

(e) Of the 12 permissible contact sessions, eight sessions may involve tackling, and not more than three of the eight tackling sessions may be devoted primarily (greater than 50 percent of practice time) to 11-on-11 scrimmages.

(f) Tackling shall be prohibited in four of the 12 contact sessions. An institution has the discretion to determine the practice activities (other than tackling) that may occur during the four contact nontackling sessions as well as the protective equipment to be worn by the student-athletes.

(g) If an institution conducts a "spring game" per Bylaw 17.11.5.2-(a), the game shall be counted as one of the three sessions that may be devoted primarily to 11-on-11 scrimmages.

(h) The amount of time that a student-athlete may be involved in such postseason countable athletically related activities shall be limited to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week.

I think @ellitormentioned spring practice not starting till April but I can’t find the thread he mentioned that in.  Maybe he can enlighten us?  If there was a way to have Aday without restrictions it could be one of those fans in the upper deck kind of Adays.  

9 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I think @ellitormentioned spring practice not starting till April but I can’t find the thread he mentioned that in.  Maybe he can enlighten us?  If there was a way to have Aday without restrictions it could be one of those fans in the upper deck kind of Adays.  

@Win4AU No. I said the dead period for recruiting lasts through mid April. I haven't said anything about when Spring practice would start. My guess though based on history would be late Feb. early March since the A Day game is usually the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in April.

Covid will no longer be a thing in a few months so we should be good to go for Spring camp.  I don't see any reason winter workouts would change a bit from the norm.

If fans are allowed to freely attend Aday without limitations I have to believe you’re gonna have a packed house. 

24 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

If fans are allowed to freely attend Aday without limitations I have to believe you’re gonna have a packed house. 

I would actually come down for an A day if they did that! I’m going to assume though we’ll still have restrictions in place. Fingers crossed for next fall. 

Archived