Allen Greene Out as AD

JerryAU

9 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

There has to be more to this given the universal condemnation out there. We basically all knew he was leaving after this fall, so what changed and why was it so off putting?

Has anyone ever considered that maybe nothing ever "changed" from the beginning, and that maybe the smoke over ADAG was there from day one?

• Like 1

Auburn's better with AG than w/out but he's been actively looking for another job for 18 mos and certainly before last winter's booster panic over Harsin (then) not buying into NIL. "Auburn being Auburn" is fringe "fans" lazy narrative assuming constant overcoverage of our not unusual drama makes us some sort of an outlier.

• Like 1

Who hired Greene? Who hired Leath, and Gogue, and Golloway, and Harsin, and Chizik, and Malzahn? Who was trying to hire Steele? All of these guys have been labeled as bad hires and bad ‘fits’ at AU at one time or another. Seems to me the problem is not in the hires, but maybe those doing the hiring. It’s almost like Brent Venables was right. We are not aligned at the leadership level. At all. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Auburn's better with AG than w/out but he's been actively looking for another job for 18 mos and certainly before last winter's booster panic over Harsin (then) not buying into NIL. "Auburn being Auburn" is fringe "fans" lazy narrative assuming constant overcoverage of our not unusual drama makes us some sort of an outlier.

People typically don't look for jobs if they know their current employer supports them. 

The question I always ask myself is, what caused ADAG to start looking elsewhere so soon? 

Some serious self reflection is needed on this, but it's never going to happen. 

It's amazing how few people are looking at this objectively. 

Edited by BizTiger
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Who hired Greene? Who hired Leath, and Gogue, and Golloway, and Harsin, and Chizik, and Malzahn? Who was trying to hire Steele? All of these guys have been labeled as bad hires and bad ‘fits’ at AU at one time or another. Seems to me the problem is not in the hires, but maybe those doing the hiring. It’s almost like Brent Venables was right. We are not aligned at the leadership level. At all. 

Now we're getting somewhere. 

How often do you see a well-respected coach like Venables speak out like this about university that he interviewed with? This is RARE. So is UT's ADs comments. 

Sometimes the only people who can convince us the house is on fire are people across the street...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

People typically don't look for jobs if they know their current employer supports them. 

The question I always ask myself is, what caused ADAG to start looking elsewhere so soon? 

Some serious self reflection is needed on this, but it's never going to happen. 

It's amazing how few people are looking at this objectively. 

When AG took the Auburn job nobody had HEARD of NIL. NiL was the biggest game changer in AD jobs since the '60s and colleges all treat it differently vis a vis $ that might otherwise be raised for non athletics. So there's one huge possible non Auburn/fault/drama reason he left.

Edited by aucanucktiger

2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

When AG took the Auburn job nobody had HEARD of NIL. NiL was the biggest game changer in AD jobs since the '60s and colleges all treat it differently vis a vis $ that might otherwise be raised for non athletics. So there's one huge possible non Auburn/fault/drama reason he left.

So he left because of NIL? Have any other P5 ADs done so?

10 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

How often do you see a well-respected coach like Venables speak out like this about university that he interviewed with? This is RARE. So is UT's ADs comments. 

Venables did not interview here, and he may be respected on the field but off the field a lot of people do not like him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Venables did not interview here, and he may be respected on the field but off the field a lot of people do not like him.

There was contact at minimum, and the fact that "a lot of people don't like him" is irrelevant. A lot of people don't like plenty of coaches. My point is, you never hear coaches air grievances about programs except ours, and Auburn people need to come to grips with why. 

Reference:

(And please spare me your grievances on the source)

Edited by BizTiger
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

There was contact at minimum, and the fact that "a lot of people don't like him" is irrelevant. A lot of people don't like plenty of coaches. My point is, you never hear coaches air grievances about programs except ours, and Auburn people need to come to grips with why. 

Reference:

(And please spare me your grievances on the source)

Then why say he interviewed if you knew he didn’t interview here…?  Auburn wasn’t ever interested in Venables, just like Napier didn’t turn down Auburn   Auburn passed on him due to his outrageous demands.

It may just seem that coaches only air their grievances here, but that is only because Auburn is your/our school, so you/I will more sensitive to it.  For example, Tennessee’s AD is still a defendant in a lawsuit with Jeremy Pruitt.  Honestly though we, as Auburn fans, forgot because we don’t really care, just like the rest of the country doesn’t really care about our AD situation or even know our AD’s name.

• Like 2

People love to pick and choose lol. I see the same two and three usual suspects hee-hawing as expected. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Then why say he interviewed if you knew he didn’t interview here…?  Auburn wasn’t ever interested in Venables, just like Napier didn’t turn down Auburn   Auburn passed on him due to his outrageous demands.

It may just seem that coaches only air their grievances here, but that is only because Auburn is your/our school, so you/I will more sensitive to it.  For example, Tennessee’s AD is still a defendant in a lawsuit with Jeremy Pruitt.  Honestly though we, as Auburn fans, forgot because we don’t really care, just like the rest of the country doesn’t really care about our AD situation or even know our AD’s name.

If Auburn wasn't interested in Venables, why was there ever contact made to either he or his representation? 

Again.. 

The-5-Whys (1).png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The funny thing is the people jumping about this and praying that CBH is gone after next year will be the one filling up the forum with crap threads when we won’t get an established guy here. I already see we will probably hire within for the AD job. I’m guessing some who either graduated from here or has major ties with folks from within. That will be domino number 1. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

Sometimes the only people who can convince us the house is on fire are people across the street...

Venables is a nut. Also unprofessional to make the comment he did. We will see how he does at Oklahoma. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Builder said:

Venables is a nut. Also unprofessional to make the comment he did. We will see how he does at Oklahoma. 

Whatever. Most of you guys wanted him hands and knees on our sidelines. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

If Auburn wasn't interested in Venables, why was there ever contact made to either he or his representation? 

Again.. 

The-5-Whys (1).png

Well, I am sure Auburn reached out to a lot of people.  I think that would be fair.  What I don’t think would be fair to say is that Venables knew enough about our department to bad-mouth it if he never interviewed or even met any of the department.  Either way, it doesn’t really matter and my intent is not to derail to subject if this thread.  What’s done is done.  It simply wasn’t a good fit for Greene here, but at the time it seemed like a fantastic hire so I don’t think Auburn should regret it, personally.  Sometimes hires just don’t work out.  

12 hours ago, difball said:

So we are going to win 11 games this season and bring in a good ol boy AD and he's going to fire Harsin - THAT would be the Auburn way

And when has that happened before? Since it’s the Auburn way and all of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Well, I am sure Auburn reached out to a lot of people.  I think that would be fair.  What I don’t think would be fair to say is that Venables knew enough about our department to bad-mouth it if he never interviewed or even met any of the department.  Either way, it doesn’t really matter and my intent is not to derail to subject if this thread.  What’s done is done.  It simply wasn’t a good fit for Greene here, but at the time it seemed like a fantastic hire so I don’t think Auburn should regret it, personally.  Sometimes hires just don’t work out.  

Why was Greene not a good fit for Auburn?

These things are typically found during the vetting and interviewing processes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Whatever. Most of you guys wanted him hands and knees on our sidelines. 

I love how the DC with multiple national titles is a "nut" and beneath Auburn simply because he didn't want to deal with our toxic work environments. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The funny thing is the people jumping about this and praying that CBH is gone after next year will be the one filling up the forum with crap threads when we won’t get an established guy here. I already see we will probably hire within for the AD job. I’m guessing some who either graduated from here or has major ties with folks from within. That will be domino number 1. 

Completely agree. Greene and CBH both came here with very accomplished resumes. They were successful pre AU and will be successful post AU. Their resumes had no record of not showing up at work or not being able to get along with people. Suddenly at Auburn they’re Forest Gump level. That has been the paradigm at Auburn for way too long.  Our leaders and BOT need to take a long look in the mirror. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Not in the kind of detail he just said, but this has been confirmed by multiple people on here, it was just on the Eagle’s Nest.  It has been known information for a while now over there.

I'll take your word, but I feel like if we had an AD literally not working he'd have been terminated way back when and that story would have been discovered by the press. "Auburn AD never reports to the office"... I guess I just find it typical that we throw mud at the guy on his way out. Criticize his job performance, but not his character. That's my point.

Also, with regards to your General Burgess comment one above, I'm a big fan of his, but isn't it only right that if we give him credit for all the good stuff, that he also gets the blame for Harsin? Because I firmly remember it being reported that General Burgess personally went rogue with Greene and interviewed/hired Harsin with him. I even remember Harsin personally thanking the General during his introductory press conference.

To me, it doesn't seem right that Greene gets no credit for the good, and General Burgess all the credit for the good, but Greene gets all blame for Harsin, with Burgess getting none. Either Burgess get's all credit and significant blame, or we give Greene both as the AD. Can't pick and choose and have it both ways imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

I'll take your word, but I feel like if we had an AD literally not working he'd have been terminated way back

This was my exact point in the thread about Michigan state interview. It is one thing to say it’s not a good fit . But you have people here saying , he simply was not showing up to work. I had one simple question during that time “then why isn’t he getting fired for cause?” 

If anybody just refused to come to work they would be fired. Come on now. 

And now people are upset because several individuals including the likes of Frank Thomas has spoken about AG the individual. There is a group of people on here who cannot separate that you can dislike someone’s performance or ideas without trying to make allegations on their character.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

Why was Greene not a good fit for Auburn?

For all the reasons stated in this thread, but in this case he upset our coaches in how the budget was handled.  Maverick’s post a page or two back is correct.

31 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

These things are typically found during the vetting and interviewing processes...

Not necessarily.  You can simply just be good at interviewing or test-taking.  Is it safe to assume you are in business?  If so, do you own a business?  Some of the people I have hired before were really good in the interview but bad at their job so I had to let them go.  It happens.