SEC Tourney bracket scenarios

WinCrimson

I like the bye we get if we win on Saturday. If we lose I would definitely want to see UAT lose to. Not just because I can't stand them, but If we lose and state wins, we get USC in the first round. That would be about as good a first round match up as you can ask for. In my opinion they are the worst team in the conference.

War Eagle/Beat Ole Miss

Whoa.

So how does it logically follow that in all of the scenarios except one in which we win put us in the tournament.

So if we lose, we're guaranteed a spot, but if we win we may not?

In that scenario where we win and uat loses, how does it make sense that they're ranked ahead of us. Won't that put us at one more conference win, and them at one more conference loss, plus us winning the two head to head games?

:blink: I'm confusing myself.

There are just too many scenarios.

Obviously if two teams wind up tied, you go to head to head records. But I don't know what the next tiebreaker is (division record?) I guess. If that's still tied, then I think it's how you did versus the eventual 1/2 in your division, then 1/2 seeds put together from both divisions.

I'm going to go ahead and waste an hour and figure out all these scenarios:

**NOTE: THESE ARE MY GUESSES. THEY'RE GOOD GUESSES, BUT NOTHING OFFICIAL.**

SEC East:

Florida has clinched the #1 seed for the East.

Vanderbilt has clinched the #2 seed for the East. Yes, if Vandy loses, they could potentially get in ties with Kentucky or Tennessee, but I don't see a scenario where either gets the #2 over Vandy.

Tennessee will clinch the #3 seed in the East if they beat Georgia OR Kentucky loses to Florida. Tennessee will get the #4 seed if they lose AND Kentucky wins.

Kentucky will clinch the #3 seed in the East with a win AND Tennessee loss. Kentucky will clinch the #4 seed in the East with a win OR Tennessee win. Kentucky will clinch the #5 seed in the East with a loss AND a Georgia win.

Georgia will clinch the #4 seed in the East with a win AND Kentucky loss. Georgia will clinch the #5 seed with a loss OR a Kentucky win.

South Carolina will be the #6 seed in the the East.

SEC West:

Mississippi State will clinch a #1 seed in the West with a win. Mississippi State cannot clinch a #2 seed. Mississippi State can clinch a #3 seed with a loss.

Auburn will clinch a #1 seed in the West with a win AND Alabama win. Auburn will clinch a #2 seed in the West with a win AND Mississippi State win. Auburn will clinch a #3 seed in the West with a loss AND an Arkansas loss AND Alabama loss. Auburn will clinch a #4 seed in the West with a loss AND an Arkansas loss AND an Alabama win. Auburn will clinch a #5 seed in the West with a loss AND an Arkansas win AND an Alabama win.

Ole Miss will clinch a #1 seed in the West with a win AND Alabama win. Ole Miss will clinch a #2 seed with a win AND Mississippi State win. Ole Miss will clinch the #3 seed with a loss AND Arkansas loss AND Alabama loss. Ole Miss will clinch the #4 seed with a loss AND Alabama win and Arkansas loss. Ole Miss will clinch the #5 seed with a loss AND Alabama win AND Arkansas win.

Alabama will clinch a #2 seed in the West with a win. Alabama will clinch a #4 seed in the West with a loss AND Arkansas loss. Alabama will clinch a #5 seed in the West with a loss AND Arkansas win.

Arkansas will clinch a #3 seed in the West with a win AND Mississippi State win. Arkansas will clinch a #4 seed in the West with a win AND Mississippi State loss. Arkansas will clinch a #5 seed in the West with a loss.

LSU will be seeded 6th in the West for the SEC Tournament.

There are just too many scenarios.

Obviously if two teams wind up tied, you go to head to head records. But I don't know what the next tiebreaker is (division record?) I guess. If that's still tied, then I think it's how you did versus the eventual 1/2 in your division, then 1/2 seeds put together from both divisions.

I'm going to go ahead and waste an hour and figure out all these scenarios:

**NOTE: THESE ARE MY GUESSES. THEY'RE GOOD GUESSES, BUT NOTHING OFFICIAL.**

SEC East:

Florida has clinched the #1 seed for the East.

Vanderbilt has clinched the #2 seed for the East. Yes, if Vandy loses, they could potentially get in ties with Kentucky or Tennessee, but I don't see a scenario where either gets the #2 over Vandy.

Tennessee will clinch the #3 seed in the East if they beat Georgia OR Kentucky loses to Florida. Tennessee will get the #4 seed if they lose AND Kentucky wins.

Kentucky will clinch the #3 seed in the East with a win AND Tennessee loss. Kentucky will clinch the #4 seed in the East with a win OR Tennessee win. Kentucky will clinch the #5 seed in the East with a loss AND a Georgia win.

Georgia will clinch the #4 seed in the East with a win AND Kentucky loss. Georgia will clinch the #5 seed with a loss OR a Kentucky win.

South Carolina will be the #6 seed in the the East.

SEC West:

Mississippi State will clinch a #1 seed in the West with a win. Mississippi State cannot clinch a #2 seed. Mississippi State can clinch a #3 seed with a loss.

Auburn will clinch a #1 seed in the West with a win AND Alabama win. Auburn will clinch a #2 seed in the West with a win AND Mississippi State win. Auburn will clinch a #3 seed in the West with a loss AND an Arkansas loss AND Alabama loss. Auburn will clinch a #4 seed in the West with a loss AND an Arkansas loss AND an Alabama win. Auburn will clinch a #5 seed in the West with a loss AND an Arkansas win AND an Alabama win.

Ole Miss will clinch a #1 seed in the West with a win AND Alabama win. Ole Miss will clinch a #2 seed with a win AND Mississippi State win. Ole Miss will clinch the #3 seed with a loss AND Arkansas loss AND Alabama loss. Ole Miss will clinch the #4 seed with a loss AND Alabama win and Arkansas loss. Ole Miss will clinch the #5 seed with a loss AND Alabama win AND Arkansas win.

Alabama will clinch a #2 seed in the West with a win. Alabama will clinch a #4 seed in the West with a loss AND Arkansas loss. Alabama will clinch a #5 seed in the West with a loss AND Arkansas win.

Arkansas will clinch a #3 seed in the West with a win AND Mississippi State win. Arkansas will clinch a #4 seed in the West with a win AND Mississippi State loss. Arkansas will clinch a #5 seed in the West with a loss.

LSU will be seeded 6th in the West for the SEC Tournament.

:bounce: Let's watch some bball!!! :cheers:

Whoa.

So how does it logically follow that in all of the scenarios except one in which we win put us in the tournament.

So if we lose, we're guaranteed a spot, but if we win we may not?

In that scenario where we win and uat loses, how does it make sense that they're ranked ahead of us. Won't that put us at one more conference win, and them at one more conference loss, plus us winning the two head to head games?

:blink: I'm confusing myself.

I noticed that too, but if you look closer, all of the scenarios have all 12 teams accounted for except that one. in that one, both Auburn and Miss State (winners) are left out. It also doesn't have any teams in the W1 or W2 slots, so I believe in that scenario, Miss State would be in the W1 slot and auburn would take the W2 we'd get a bye either way.

Archived