**Auburn at Florida Game thread**

WarTiger

swamp lizards come in ranked #11 in the country. Gonna be a tough game to win on the road. Payne starts us off with a 3...tigers lead early 3-2

Kenny Gabriel gets the ball in transition and takes it to the basket. Get's call for the offensive foul and is injured. Appears to be a lower back injury as he landed right on his tailbone...

Tigers played a solid first half. Auburn goes up 1 inside of 20 seconds to play. Lizards take it across the division line and set up for a last shot. They end up taking a LONG 3 point shot, it hits rim and comes out long. Auburn rebound, passed ahead to Denson, who takes it to the basket and lays it up at the buzzer. Basket counts, Denson is hurt after the play. Tigers lead 30-27 at the half.

florida gets a steal....takes it the other way...Gabriel hustles down the floor and makes a great block, that sends auburn back down the floor. Denson with a layup. Gabriel hurt again....Tigers trail - 42-39

We really played quite well. Not having Gabriel on the floor after his first injury hurt us. When he was on the floor after that, it was obvious that he wasn't even close to 100%, but he came back out and played his butt off until he went down hard again and landed on his hip. Even with him out, we were playing well, but you can't win if you can't score and we went a good while with no points....again.

I just don't get how this team scraps until 8-10 min to go in the game and then they suddenly fold and fold hard. Injuries could explain this game but it's becoming a characteristic of this team to not close out close games. It's either a depth issue, a coaching issue or a heart issue. The first half was fun to listen to and playing at the O Dome isn't an easy task. I couldn't hear Rod at times because the crowd is so loud there.

Its a lack of quality depth. Auburn just isn't there, and lets face it Florida is just a better team than Auburn, its no surprise at the end of the game when depth shows its face Auburn folds a bit. Barbee will get it right, he's a good coach and his tactics are much better than Lebo's, he just has to overcome the mess that Lebo left. With a solid recruiting class next year Auburn should be a very fun place to watch some basketball in the next couple of seasons. All it takes is one legitimate stud to take a basketball team to a next level...(See Michael Beasely and Kansas State)

Five point game when KG went out. 21-10 UF after that. We have a hard enough time scoring (on the road) with KG, much less without him. Getting pounded on the boards (39-24), and KG/FS/VW going 7-26, didn't help, either. If you'd have told me beforehand our leading (and only double-digit) scorer would be ADRIAN FORBES (with a whopping 11 points), I'd have said we'd lose by 50.

Tough loss, but, like others have said, UF is just better than Auburn right now. Very good and experienced in the backcourt; very physical and athletic inside. They're going to be a tough team to beat going forward.

That said, I like that our team is (or seems to be) showing more grit on the road vs. the early season embarassments. If we can beat Arkansas and LSU at home, to finish (I think) 15-2 in Auburn, that would be something to build on.

If we can beat LSU and/or Arky to finish either 14 - 3 or 15 - 2 at home this season, that would be a good sign and a building block. However, we haven't really beaten a team at home that was all that good other than a slumping State team without one of their leading scorers. We had an impressive loss against UK and the Bama loss was ugly.

The real issue is that this team is 1-11 away from Auburm arena with the lone win coming at a neutral court. We have to learn to play better on the road if we want to make a push for postseason play next season.

I don't want to make any comparisons with some other team with a 3rd year coach, but there needs to be significant improvements next year. Even Lebo had games where the team played well....

I don't know; to me a good coach works with what he has and produces results...it doesn't take 3 or 4 years to field a consistently competitive team.

Archived