Make Auburn Eagle more user-friendly

JuniperSprouts

I enjoy the company here on the site.

Having said that, the layout of the site is frustrating.  It is too "tall."

I am not saying that I want Auburn Eagle to become like all of the other sports sites, but AE can/should definitely LEARN from the more successful designs.  The layout of Tiger Droppings is very clear and easy to navigate:  http://www.tigerdroppings.com/

Without Firefox and the RIP add-on, Auburn Eagle is cumbersome.

Firefox web browser:  www.mozilla.com/firefox

Remove It Permanently (RIP) add-on:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/521

With RIP you can permanently remove bothersome elements of websites.  For me I remove the top of Auburn Eagle Message boards:

1. Advertisement banner & frame above "Auburn Eagle Message Boards frame"

2. The "Auburn Eagle Message Boards frame"

3. The "welcome Chizik" frame"

It takes all of the to even get to see useful links/info.

I understand what your saying Juniper but we designed it this way b/c it is unlike all other message boards. We also have the spot at the top for advertisers b/c without advertisers this site wouldn't be possible. Also, with the Chizik and Auburn Eagle banners at the top it makes the site unique. Like you said, if you don't like it take it off but this is the first complaint I have heard about this. If others don't really like the layout please let us know b/c we will see what we can do to make it more user friendly but IMO, this is the most user friendly message boards b/c you don't have to sift through the crap that people post. You just got to the subject and topic you wanna read about.

Thanks for you input!!

:-X I THINK YOU COMPLAINERS NEED TO GET A LIFE! THIS IS THE BEST WEBSITE OUT THERE, AND IF YOU CAN NOT OPERATE PROPER MOVEMENT AROUND THE WEBSITE THEN DON'T COME OUT TO THE AUBURN EAGLE MESSAGE BOARDS. THESE GUYS ARE DOING AN INCREDIBLE JOB, AND FOR YOU TO COMPLAIN ABOUT A "FREE" WEBSITE IS LIKE SPITTING IN THEIR FACES. RELAX AND ENJOY, AND DON'T COMPLAIN!!!

I enjoy the company here on the site.

Having said that, the layout of the site is frustrating.  It is too "tall."

I am not saying that I want Auburn Eagle to become like all of the other sports sites, but AE can/should definitely LEARN from the more successful designs.  The layout of Tiger Droppings is very clear and easy to navigate:  http://www.tigerdroppings.com/

Without Firefox and the RIP add-on, Auburn Eagle is cumbersome.

Firefox web browser:  www.mozilla.com/firefox

Remove It Permanently (RIP) add-on:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/521

With RIP you can permanently remove bothersome elements of websites.  For me I remove the top of Auburn Eagle Message boards:

1. Advertisement banner & frame above "Auburn Eagle Message Boards frame"

2. The "Auburn Eagle Message Boards frame"

3. The "welcome Chizik" frame"

It takes all of the to even get to see useful links/info.

Sorry to hear that you don't like the layout of our message boards  :( They say you can't please everyone, but we sure would like to try.

1. Those advertisement banners you mention are what pay for the site as AUSportTalk said. We don't have annoying pop-ups or any of that stuff, and we don't plan on it. All of our ads will be for respectable businesses, and many of them are owned and run by Auburn people. We would love to have an ad-free site, but unfortunately we're not made of money.

Bottom line: We don't have much of a choice but to keep the ad spot(s).

2. The "Auburn Eagle Message Boards" banner is what identifies our boards, and I'm sorry to hear you don't like it. I had no idea that anyone would be bothered to scroll down an extra 150 pixels.

3. The "Welcome Back to Auburn Coach Chizik" banner is a spot that gives the message boards more life and color. We can also change the banner periodically or on special occasions.

Solution: If users appear to be bothered by the "Auburn Eagle Message Boards" and what (at the moment) is the "Welcome Back to Auburn Coach Chizik" banner, I might make them collapsible like the rest of the sections. Since you (JuniperSprouts ) have already removed the elements that you find annoying from our message boards, we will seek the input of other users on the matter.

Thank you for your input JuniperSprouts. We hope you enjoy our site!  :)

If anyone thinks that numbers 2 & 3 above are annoying, and that we need to do something about them, feel free to reply to this thread stating so. Other suggestions are also welcome.

*Note that the site and the message boards were thrown together in my spare time. I both work and go to school, so there's only so much I can do.

:-X I THINK YOU COMPLAINERS NEED TO GET A LIFE! THIS IS THE BEST WEBSITE OUT THERE, AND IF YOU CAN NOT OPERATE PROPER MOVEMENT AROUND THE WEBSITE THEN DON'T COME OUT TO THE AUBURN EAGLE MESSAGE BOARDS. THESE GUYS ARE DOING AN INCREDIBLE JOB, AND FOR YOU TO COMPLAIN ABOUT A "FREE" WEBSITE IS LIKE SPITTING IN THEIR FACES. RELAX AND ENJOY, AND DON'T COMPLAIN!!!

Golly jeepers, buddy!  I am not sure that you read my post.  I like the people here.  I was hoping to offer input on improving the website.  Now I need to "get a life?"  I can control how websites are displayed in my browser, but I "can not operate proper movement around the website?"  Just to let you know, typing in all CAPS is considered rude by some people.  I do not mind, but some people do not like it.

I posted my topic in the appropriate forum/board.  This is a place for site help & suggestions.  Your rant seems off-topic.

Just curious, how old are you?

------------------------------------------------------

AUDomination, and AUSportTalk (the grown-ups),

I understand.  I enjoyed learning about website design theory at Auburn.  Concerning the extra bulk at the top, there should be a way to have everything.  I personally do not feel that people should have to scroll down (150 px or any measurement) to begin to navigate a page.  I guess you sort of have it almost as a "splash screen" type deal now.  I understand the benefit.

Thank you for listening.

War eagle!

Auburntiger34,

Allow me to teach you a lesson in logic.  It takes less than 1 second to capitalize the first letter of the first word of a sentence, but people often do not like to.  See the following example:

"it takes two seconds to scroll down and your complaining?"

It is about efficiency...in the end.

I want nothing but the best for this site, including efficiency & presentation.  I feel confident that 95% or more web design experts would agree with the principles behind my recommendations.  On the other hand, the designers clearly replied that they wanted a site that was clearly different from other sites.  That was a genuine response that is respectable. 

The maintainers work hard.  I certainly appreciate their efforts.  At the same time, I am 100% positive that the maintainers of the website want to hear what people think.  You and AUB7680 were not my intended audience.  Save your anger for another forum.  I speak with no disrespect in my heart.

If people didn't voice their opinions and let us know what they think, we would have no way of knowing what we should do to make the site better. I can definitely see where JuniperSprouts is coming from, as the header does appear to be somewhat large (height-wise). I use a rather large display (monitor) when I design things, and I might have lost some perspective due to that fact. I might try to decrease the height of the header, and/or make it collapsible as I mentioned earlier. This site for Auburn fans by Auburn fans, and every voice matters. We may not agree on all matters, but at the end of the day, we are FAMILY. Feel free to make any suggestions. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

Auburntiger34,

Allow me to teach you a lesson in logic.  It takes less than 1 second to capitalize the first letter of the first word of a sentence, but people often do not like to.  See the following example:

"it takes two seconds to scroll down and your complaining?"

this is a message board, not an english class. its not necessary to capitalize because everyone knows what your talking about. and what does your statement have anything to do with mine besides pointing out that i didnt capitalize a letter. 3/4 of the people who post on here dont capitalize in their posts.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree somewhat with Juniper.  I see where he is coming from.  I like everything at the top and realize that you need advertisements to keep the site going.  However, I feel it would look a little better if it were more condensed and you could see some of the stuff below without scrolling.  Obviously, none of us are too annoyed by it or we wouldn't keep coming back.  That being said, anyone who wants to succeed with anything has to try to keep improving, and I think that is what Juniper was saying.  You want your website to be as attractive as possible so you can keep more people coming back.  Thanks guys, we appreciate what you're doing!

Of course. We did not dismiss what JuniperSprouts said by any means.

I can definitely see where JuniperSprouts is coming from, as the header does appear to be somewhat large (height-wise). I use a rather large display (monitor) when I design things, and I might have lost some perspective due to that fact. I might try to decrease the height of the header, and/or make it collapsible as I mentioned earlier.

I've been quite busy lately, and I have to pay the bills before I can work on the website. As I mentioned earlier, I will try to work on it when I get a chance. I just have to work on a few other things on the website before I can work on this one. You guys will see what I mean by "other things" very soon  :cool:

I just wanted to give my input and backup Juniper because I knew what he was saying. Y'all are doing a great job. 6 more days! War eagle!

As one of the new guys here on the boards, I find that I like the splash just the way it is. It looks more professional than any other board that I have been on. It feels great to open the link and see the flash take up almost the whole screen.

as an internet user from the dark ages. this is one of the best sites I have been on. No overkill. doesn't take 5 min. to load up, But it's Brightly lit with all that Auburn Blue and Orange. you can't go wrong with that. Oh the other bonus, It loads correctly and works correctly in Firefox, unlike quite a few pages/boards. 

My only issue, and maybe i haven't figured it out yet,due to the limited time here, is decifering which posts are new once you enter in to a catagory from the main board page. I just dodge the issue by selecting the "Show unread posts since last visit" link. Works really well for me.

don't change a thing guys your doing a great Job.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!

Stripe, on the main message boards, the football icons will be orange if there is a new post and blue if not.  Once you get in, there will be an icon that says new next to the posts that you haven't looked at yet.

thanks bud, I understood the footballs on the main page, but I think it was the difference between the shaded(Regular topics) and the Blue (Stickey/announcements) that was confusing me.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Archived