Pretty good article concerning the defense

Tigerfish

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1254125737312170.xml&coll=2

"The first-team defense allowed only 72 yards and scoring drives of 17 and 18 yards in a first half that left the Cardinals on the wrong end of a 33-10 score.

Most of Ball State's damage in the second half came against regular backups and walk-ons. "

Chizik was unapologetic about Ball State's 20 second-half points.

"I don't care about that," he said. "I've got to get my guys to the next game. When you have a four-touchdown lead, you're not worried about stats, you're worried about the next game."

:we:

Chizik was unapologetic about Ball State's 20 second-half points.

"I don't care about that," he said. "I've got to get my guys to the next game. When you have a four-touchdown lead, you're not worried about stats, you're worried about the next game."

:we:

I totally agree with that

The D should be a concern.... but maybe they have been holding back. All I know is we better not run those soft zones against UT b/c all they are gonna do is run and throw out to the flats.

The D should be a concern.... but maybe they have been holding back. All I know is we better not run those soft zones against UT b/c all they are gonna do is run and throw out to the flats.

I don't really feel too threatened by Crompton's arm.  His confidence has to be shaken, and the talent was never really there to begin with.  Now, their running game is a different story.  If our D-line can't do a better job plugging holes and stopping their running backs, and if our D-backs don't do a better job of tackling, it could be a long night.

I think it'll come down to our passing game out-gunning their run game to get us a BIG win on the road.  If we can score big, and they are forced to throw, like WVU, that's our best shot, IMO.

WDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel more threatened by Compton running than passing. That is what kills us.

If it comes down to crompton running, then we are in good shape and our D will have had a great game

Straight outta Compton, Jonathon Crompton had a whopping 27 yards rushing on 37 carries in 2008, and so far in 2009 he has galloped his way to a stunning -16 yards on 15 carries!

I somehow don't think we have to worry too much about Crompton toting the rock!

Now Monterio Hardesty is a different story! He's averaging over 120 ypg, with a long TD run of 43 yds, albeit against the weak D of the Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky! He also racked up 160+ of his 480+ yds on the season in that game. Compare that stat to when he faced a better defense (by how much may be questionable) in UCLA, when he had only 89 yds on 26 carries with a 3.4 ypc avg. What's makes him scary though is that he followed that up against one of the best D's in the country in Florida and had almost 100 yds on 20 carries and 140 yds on 20 carries against Ohio. Plus he's scored a TD in all four games thus far, also. Add Bryce Brown to the mix, who has been more of a combo back rushing and catching out of the backfield for the vols, and their backfield appears to be pretty good. Oh, and lest we forget Mr. Wishy-wash himself, whose name I can barely stand to mention (it rhymes with Noku). I could see Elaine trying to get him into the mix just to try and rub him in our faces!

Tennessee is a tough nut to crack this year. Last year, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that we were going to beat them. I just felt it. My mind (and of course my heart) tells me that we should beat them this year, but their performance against UF has me a little worried. Our ability, thus far, to cause turnovers makes me believe that we should get at least a couple of picks against Crompton, but our poor tackling makes me think that they may be able to run on us. Hopefully we can limit our mistakes, while turning theirs into scores! If not for an ill-advised pass that was thrown for a pick-six in the 3rd quarter, Ohio would have had a very good chance of beating UT last weekend! The Bobcats threw for over 300 yds and also returned a kickoff 95 yds for a TD. The vols held Ohio to only 21 yds rushing, but they only had 17 attempts! Compare that to UF, who rushed for 208 yds against them.

After chewing all these stats up and spitting them out, I ultimately think that AU is the better team in every aspect, except for our kickoff and punt teams, which are H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E! I think that the initial 3-point spread in favor of UT that was set is mainly due obviously to the Dolls being at home in front of their 100,000 puke-orange-laden fans and secondly to their performance against the Gaytors. I believe that Kiffen put ALOT of stock into the UF game and so did his players. They heard for months how they were going to get blown out, and to their credit, they put up a valiant fight. That game is over now. The hangover was evident against Ohio, and I think, although they may be somewhat more prepared for us, our coaches will have a better gameplan and our TEAM (keyword) will play better and come away from Neyland with a big fat W that will catapult us BACK into the national spotlight where we belong!

:we:                        :believe:                            :tdau:                                :aufb:

p.s. feel free to disagree/debate/call me stupid/whatever ;)

Didn't they just win by 10 or so against national powerhouse Ohio U ? I'm shaking in my boots. Not worried about them at all

Straight outta Compton, Jonathon Crompton had a whopping 27 yards rushing on 37 carries in 2008, and so far in 2009 he has galloped his way to a stunning -16 yards on 15 carries!

I somehow don't think we have to worry too much about Crompton toting the rock!

Now Monterio Hardesty is a different story! He's averaging over 120 ypg, with a long TD run of 43 yds, albeit against the weak D of the Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky! He also racked up 160+ of his 480+ yds on the season in that game. Compare that stat to when he faced a better defense (by how much may be questionable) in UCLA, when he had only 89 yds on 26 carries with a 3.4 ypc avg. What's makes him scary though is that he followed that up against one of the best D's in the country in Florida and had almost 100 yds on 20 carries and 140 yds on 20 carries against Ohio. Plus he's scored a TD in all four games thus far, also. Add Bryce Brown to the mix, who has been more of a combo back rushing and catching out of the backfield for the vols, and their backfield appears to be pretty good. Oh, and lest we forget Mr. Wishy-wash himself, whose name I can barely stand to mention (it rhymes with Noku). I could see Elaine trying to get him into the mix just to try and rub him in our faces!

Tennessee is a tough nut to crack this year. Last year, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that we were going to beat them. I just felt it. My mind (and of course my heart) tells me that we should beat them this year, but their performance against UF has me a little worried. Our ability, thus far, to cause turnovers makes me believe that we should get at least a couple of picks against Crompton, but our poor tackling makes me think that they may be able to run on us. Hopefully we can limit our mistakes, while turning theirs into scores! If not for an ill-advised pass that was thrown for a pick-six in the 3rd quarter, Ohio would have had a very good chance of beating UT last weekend! The Bobcats threw for over 300 yds and also returned a kickoff 95 yds for a TD. The vols held Ohio to only 21 yds rushing, but they only had 17 attempts! Compare that to UF, who rushed for 208 yds against them.

After chewing all these stats up and spitting them out, I ultimately think that AU is the better team in every aspect, except for our kickoff and punt teams, which are H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E! I think that the initial 3-point spread in favor of UT that was set is mainly due obviously to the Dolls being at home in front of their 100,000 puke-orange-laden fans and secondly to their performance against the Gaytors. I believe that Kiffen put ALOT of stock into the UF game and so did his players. They heard for months how they were going to get blown out, and to their credit, they put up a valiant fight. That game is over now. The hangover was evident against Ohio, and I think, although they may be somewhat more prepared for us, our coaches will have a better gameplan and our TEAM (keyword) will play better and come away from Neyland with a big fat W that will catapult us BACK into the national spotlight where we belong!

:we:                        :believe:                            :tdau:                                :aufb:

p.s. feel free to disagree/debate/call me stupid/whatever ;)

STUPID  :tease:

Great post!

Archived