Saban trying to talk Julio to return for Heisman....

wdeexit310

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenny Irons did the same thing many times and nobody here said anything about it. Josh Bynes does it too. Some people like DA are laid back and don't do anything after plays. Some people, Like KI and Julio, flaunt a little after plays. It's just his personality.

And who do you think is a better WR than Julio that we've had recently? On the field, not better people or better personalities

I hate to disagree with you but, Julie-O does not flaunt after a play. You can see that he is pissed off that someone would dare to tackle him. He is like a 5 year old that just had his toy taken away. This is what I was speaking of in my previous post on this thread. Attitude reflects leadership. He is only acting out what he sees his coach do. Sure we all get frustrated when things dont work the way we want them to. But you do not have to let everyone in the world see that you are frustrated. See Cam Newton for a good example, if anyone had a good excuse to get in someones face after a good play this year it would be him. He just goes back to the huddle with a smile on his face and spreads it to the entire team.

He's not pissed that they tried to tackle him, he's being intimidating, which isnt hard for a 6'4 220 lbs receiver. Many players do this, he's just trying to make the other player feel inferior, it's a common action.

And as for letting the world see he's frustrated, I've never seen him call out his QB or coach on the field or in an interview about them not throwing the ball to him sometimes. He always keeps his business to himself, and actually acts professional, unlike many receivers. That shows maturity IMO

You are definitely right about him not being a drama queen like some receivers. But I bet half of it is because his coach would chew his ass if he did act like that. Idk though. Julio can make a 5 yard dump off catch and get up like he has just done the most amazing thing ever and acts like he just owned the defender. I just don't like that personally. Its one thing to get pumped after an awesome play. He just tries to act like a hardass all the time. EVEN to a punter. Seriously a punter? Ego issues. Dude probably jumps in the bounce around and stiff arms 3 year olds and then just stares at them.

He just thinks he is hot s@#t but he's really just very OVERRATED $h%#. Just my opinion.

Show me one awesome catch he has made. I have seen ONE. It was against a first year program. Sounds like it calls for oil paintings and a statue to me.  :rolleyes:

Kenny Irons did the same thing many times and nobody here said anything about it. Josh Bynes does it too. Some people like DA are laid back and don't do anything after plays. Some people, Like KI and Julio, flaunt a little after plays. It's just his personality.

And who do you think is a better WR than Julio that we've had recently? On the field, not better people or better personalities

I hate to disagree with you but, Julie-O does not flaunt after a play. You can see that he is pissed off that someone would dare to tackle him. He is like a 5 year old that just had his toy taken away. This is what I was speaking of in my previous post on this thread. Attitude reflects leadership. He is only acting out what he sees his coach do. Sure we all get frustrated when things dont work the way we want them to. But you do not have to let everyone in the world see that you are frustrated. See Cam Newton for a good example, if anyone had a good excuse to get in someones face after a good play this year it would be him. He just goes back to the huddle with a smile on his face and spreads it to the entire team.

He's not pissed that they tried to tackle him, he's being intimidating, which isnt hard for a 6'4 220 lbs receiver. Many players do this, he's just trying to make the other player feel inferior, it's a common action.

And as for letting the world see he's frustrated, I've never seen him call out his QB or coach on the field or in an interview about them not throwing the ball to him sometimes. He always keeps his business to himself, and actually acts professional, unlike many receivers. That shows maturity IMO

You are definitely right about him not being a drama queen like some receivers. But I bet half of it is because his coach would chew his ass if he did act like that. Idk though. Julio can make a 5 yard dump off catch and get up like he has just done the most amazing thing ever and acts like he just owned the defender. I just don't like that personally. Its one thing to get pumped after an awesome play. He just tries to act like a hardass all the time. EVEN to a punter. Seriously a punter? Ego issues. Dude probably jumps in the bounce around and stiff arms 3 year olds and then just stares at them.

He just thinks he is hot s@#t but he's really just very OVERRATED $h%#. Just my opinion.

Show me one awesome catch he has made. I have seen ONE. It was against a first year program. Sounds like it calls for oil paintings and a statue to me.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, I agree he gets pumped about stuff he shouldnt, but that's just how he is. And I wouldnt call him overrated, he's been on the Freshman AA team and three times on an All-SEC team. With AJ Green, Alshon Jeffrey, Greg Childs, and Darvin Adams in the conference, that's a great accomplishment.

And as for the awesome catches, that's not what makes him great. He doesnt have many jaw-dropping catches, but he is one of the best after the run in breaking tackles. He is physical, blocks well, and gains extra yards after the catch. In this highlight, he breaks multiple tackles and gets yards many receivers wouldn't.

Overrated receivers arent first round, possibly top 15, draft picks. All I'm trying to say is he deserves his praise

He's a good talent.  He is not top 4 in SEC (won top 2 per media and coaches this year because of injuries and suspensions).  Overrated?  Yes, Alabama gets a ton of media attention so most of their players are over rated. 

So he is good and over rated at the same time.  Now for the Heisman?  That made me laugh so hard I spit liquid on my computer monitor.  Take away the fact that receivers almost NEVER win the Heisman...especially if they also are not involved in punt and kick returns (I think Julio is on KR but not that dynamic of one).  Take away that he will most likely be number 3 in the SEC next year as far as WRs go.  Take away the fact that UA refuses to commit to the passing game.  Take away they are breaking in a new QB.  The fact is he is not Heisman talent.  He is NFL talent but not Heisman.  No one other than a toothless red neck or a coach whose name rhymes with Satan would try to state otherwise.

He's a good talent.  He is not top 4 in SEC (won top 2 per media and coaches this year because of injuries and suspensions).  Overrated?  Yes, Alabama gets a ton of media attention so most of their players are over rated. 

So he is good and over rated at the same time.  Now for the Heisman?  That made me laugh so hard I spit liquid on my computer monitor.  Take away the fact that receivers almost NEVER win the Heisman...especially if they also are not involved in punt and kick returns (I think Julio is on KR but not that dynamic of one).  Take away that he will most likely be number 3 in the SEC next year as far as WRs go.  Take away the fact that UA refuses to commit to the passing game.  Take away they are breaking in a new QB.  The fact is he is not Heisman talent.  He is NFL talent but not Heisman.  No one other than a toothless red neck or a coach whose name rhymes with Satan would try to state otherwise.

You're right, he wont get anywhere near a Heisman. But not top 4 in SEC? Name 4 WRs in the SEC who are better. AJ Green, check. Alshon Jeffrey, debatable. Greg Childs, probably not. I'd say he's arguably #2, no worse than #3

I can't stand him!!  And, I'm happy to say, my memory of JJ will be the 4th down pass from AJ.  Right through his hands, wouldn't have had a 1st down anyway.  Any questions?

AMM......We should get you a Julie-O fathead.

I cannot believe that you think AU has not had anyone of such tallent as Julie-O in the past 20 years.

With his attitude I would not take him over our 4 deep on the roster now!!!

We currently have 6 active WR's in the NFL

And to go back 20 years I would take Frank Sanders over Julie-O any day. He catches in the clutch!

I cannot believe that you think AU has not had anyone of such tallent as Julie-O in the past 20 years.

And to go back 20 years I would take Frank Sanders over Julie-O any day. He catches in the clutch!

WJW. Frank Sanders might be competition, but Jones is a spectacular receiver.  And every indication is, his attitude is terrific.

I don't know any reason to doubt the kid's character.  All I see is a very hard worker and team player. 

The court system and a shooting victim might quibble with you. 

You don't get called as a witness to a drive by in which you were involved at least peripherally if your character is angelic.

Jury selection began today in a Baldwin County capital murder trial that is expected to feature Foley High's Julio Jones, the University of Alabama's top football recruit, as a witness.

Jones was riding in a car with the victim, Lashane Phipps, sometime before he was shot, but was not with him at the time of the shooting, according to attorneys involved in the case.

Labarron Dontae McDonald, 26, is on trial for the May 2007 slaying. Jones is expected to take the witness stand Wednesday, according to Assistant Baldwin County District Attorney Michael Pylant.

Phipps, 33, of Foley, was killed May 12 while sitting in a Chevrolet Suburban, parked near homes on Fifth Avenue in the Aaronville community, north of Foley High School, police have said.

He was shot four or five times above the waist, according to Foley Police Lt. David White.

Phipps and McDonald had a long-standing feud, White said, but a motive behind the shooting was not revealed.

Riding around with a 33-year old drug dealer ...... okay.....

His attitude? A star WR who has never once called out a QB or coach doesnt have an attitude. A top 15 pick considering coming back for his senior year and not just following the money because he wants to be one of the greatest players at Alabama doesnt have an attitude. I dont know where you've gotten the perception that he has an attitude.

I would take him over our 4 deep All-Decade team. I respect your opinion, we'll just agree to disagree

Julio is an outstanding receiver. Some of yall need to ease up on him. If he went to Auburn you guys would praise him. He's better than any receivers we've had in the past 20 years

Sorry I have to disagree. He is definitely an awesome football player but he has a tad too much hype that pumps him up. We definitely have had some better than Julio in the past 20 years.

If Julio was so great he would act like he's been there before after he makes a big play, not jump up and act like a badass to a punter. You know kinda like DA does, just hands the ball back to the ref because its nothing new to him.

Not sure what you would consider recent , But I would take Frank Sanders, R. Daniels, Obamanu, Courtney Taylor, Aromashodu, Adams,and T Zach before Julio if I was building a college team. However Julio is ALOT more physical then these guys, and that is what appears will make him a better NFL Wideout. I still say he is one of the most over rated players coming out of highschool during my time. He is in no way the #2 player of the 08 class like some sites had him ranked. When you look back and they had AJ Green #9 and Andrew Luck # 68 among others.

Julio is an outstanding receiver. Some of yall need to ease up on him. If he went to Auburn you guys would praise him. He's better than any receivers we've had in the past 20 years

Sorry I have to disagree. He is definitely an awesome football player but he has a tad too much hype that pumps him up. We definitely have had some better than Julio in the past 20 years.

If Julio was so great he would act like he's been there before after he makes a big play, not jump up and act like a badass to a punter. You know kinda like DA does, just hands the ball back to the ref because its nothing new to him.

Not sure what you would consider recent , But I would take Frank Sanders, R. Daniels, Obamanu, Courtney Taylor, Aromashodu, Adams,and T Zach before Julio if I was building a college team. However Julio is ALOT more physical then these guys, and that is what appears will make him a better NFL Wideout. I still say he is one of the most over rated players coming out of highschool during my time. He is in no way the #2 player of the 08 class like some sites had him ranked. When you look back and they had AJ Green #9 and Andrew Luck # 68 among others.

Most overrated? He has equal or better career stats than all SEC receivers besides AJ Green, and he plays in a run-first offense with a terrible QB. A 5* player is a player who can make an immediate impact and will be a possible NFL prospect. Im pretty sure that's Julio.

I would take Julio over any of those WRs everyday of the week without hesitating. Just my opinion, and the opinion of college and NFL scouts

A terrible QB?????

He has not lost a game since the 8th grade.....HAHA....until this year

He is also a quitter while we are at it.

He went to sit on the bench on the drive that Ginger got KTFO and only came back in when the back up QB was in the game with no chance left.

I know, I know he played with a broken hand so he isnt a quitter and Ginger played with broken ribs last year in the BCSCG......sounds like a bunch of bammer propaganda to me.

There is a big difference in swagger and being a punk and anyone who has played the game knows the difference. When Julie-O and even Ingram end a run they get up with the attitude of a punk and not swagger......it almost seems like the attitude of you got lucky to tackle me get out of my face. That attitude will not gel well in the NFL as a rookie after he gets his arse lit up a few times. teams will realize all they have to do is jack him up a few times and he will mentally fold. 

Plus he keeps injuries.

WE dont have to agree....I agree with you on that.....lol

I don't know any reason to doubt the kid's character.  All I see is a very hard worker and team player. 

You don't get called as a witness to a drive by in which you were involved at least peripherally if your character is angelic.

Jury selection began today in a Baldwin County capital murder trial that is expected to feature Foley High's Julio Jones, the University of Alabama's top football recruit, as a witness.

Jones was riding in a car with the victim, Lashane Phipps, sometime before he was shot, but was not with him at the time of the shooting, according to attorneys involved in the case.

Labarron Dontae McDonald, 26, is on trial for the May 2007 slaying. Jones is expected to take the witness stand Wednesday, according to Assistant Baldwin County District Attorney Michael Pylant.

Phipps, 33, of Foley, was killed May 12 while sitting in a Chevrolet Suburban, parked near homes on Fifth Avenue in the Aaronville community, north of Foley High School, police have said.

He was shot four or five times above the waist, according to Foley Police Lt. David White.

Phipps and McDonald had a long-standing feud, White said, but a motive behind the shooting was not revealed.

That's a pretty low depth of speculation you're stooping toward.  Good ole guilt by association.  Yikes.

My point is, there's just no reason to do this.  It doesn't help Auburn.  Doesn't make us any better.  And he's a great football player and by all indications a really good kid.  Why trash him?

Jody, I do agree about the injuries. That may eventually be his downfall. Every year so far at Bama, he's been nagged by constant injuries. Durability may be the biggest knock on him. I dont know how he'll hold up in the NFL, but if he stays healthy he'll be a starter somewhere, possibly an All-Pro

That's a pretty low depth of speculation you're stooping toward.  Good ole guilt by association.  Yikes.

My point is, there's just no reason to do this.  It doesn't help Auburn.  Doesn't make us any better.  And he's a great football player and by all indications a really good kid.  Why trash him?

I agree. Above was the same kind of logic and attitude that the Bammers and ESPN used to Trash Cam, Cecil and also Auburn.

Without consistency, there can never be credibility.

Most overrated? He has equal or better career stats than all SEC receivers besides AJ Green, and he plays in a run-first offense with a terrible QB. A 5* player is a player who can make an immediate impact and will be a possible NFL prospect. Im pretty sure that's Julio.

I would take Julio over any of those WRs everyday of the week without hesitating. Just my opinion, and the opinion of college and NFL scouts

Ive seen the kid live in highschool 2 times (both times he was shut down by 5'8'' corners when foley played prattville) Ive seen him a many time on T.V. Since he made it to bama, And havent seen one game you could say he took over or had a "break out game". The "huge" games he had (2010 IB for example) was due to blown coverages and the guy running wide open. I have yet to see him dominate a game. As far as WR skill sets go our top 2 WRs ( D. adams and T . Zach) are better route runners , and also have better hands then JJ . Now I would say JJ is a somewhat better blocker and is a tougher person to tackle but we are talking about a WR not a FB. As far as him being an all pro at the next level I would doubt it. IMHO he he can stay healthy he could end up as a Career #2 or #3 WR for the right team, But will never be a #1 option in the NFL. I just dont see how you could structure your passing game around a "good blocker". Not a knock on the kid , because either way he still will be making millions on Sundays.

by all indications a really good kid. 

Only responding to this portion of your comment. 

When you're a 17 year old and one of the top recruits in the country, you shouldn't go riding around with a 33-year old known drug dealer who gets himself killed while you're in the car or near the car.  Had it been a peer or another teenager, maybe it would look different to me but cruising with somebody twice his age and a known dealer?  Not smart.  At the very least it calls into question his thought process and associations.

Sure, people make mistakes.  But to brand him a fine, upstanding citizen ignores this lapse in judgment.  For the record, same applies to Cam.  His decision making while at Florida was decidedly poor. 

Both have opportunities to redeem themselves thanks to football.  We know Cam's story, but I know less about Julio.  Haven't really seen any redemptive stories on him.  He doesn't appear to be a team leader and seems more self-focused. 

I only brought up his history to point out that if you're talking character (a pretty broad term) there is at the very minimum a suspect history that is a part of that character.  Same with Cam.  You can't consider his character unless you consider all of it.  Good and bad. 

But will never be a #1 option in the NFL.

This I agree with.  Don't envision him ever becoming an elite NFL receiver a la Terrell Owens or Michael Irvin.  Don't think he has the wheels or the hands.

But I've been wrong.  I would have taken Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning because I hated Manning's footwork. Still do, actually.

Hey Galen, from what I have read Julio hurt his hand when they lost to SCe when he got mad and rammed his fist into the locker.

Said he Ingram and McElroy got into it....He is no team player at all...

juli-o may be good, but last time I checked when he is guarded by Patrick Peterson he gets shut down(future NFL starting CB). I really haven't seen him go off on any CB that will play on sundays

JMO

Archived