Saban trying to talk Julio to return for Heisman....

wdeexit310

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why comment on something heard on JOX?

But I'll say this.  Julio is a fantastic player.  He is the guy who beat us last year, by the way.  Everything I see on the field is pure football player.  He kills himself just as hard to make a block as he does to get open.

He is a decent football player, the only thing about him is that stupid "How dare you touch me, don't you know who I am?" look that he gives other players when they tackle him.

Quick, call the NFL GM's and let them know that Julio is only a "decent" player, they are about to make him a first round draft pick and waste a lot of money on him. Mel Kiper has him the number 9 pick over all.

Kiper and those NFL guys obviously do not know what they are doing.

Not to be disagreeable but those NFL guys are wrong quite a bit.  See the absence of ryan leaf, jamarcus russell, matt leinart, vince young, alex smith, and every 1st round wr picked by the detroit lions up until calvin johnson from pro bowl games and some even from the league.

I do not at all disagree with your point. However, when it comes down to it, whose opinion do you value more, Kiper and NFL GM's or some guy that has a vested emotional interest in things being a certain way that is wearing orange and blue glasses and a tin foil hat sitting in the most sincere pumpkin patch watching for and waiting on the black helicopters as he posts to an Auburn Discussion board from his iphone.

BTW, I am not talking about you above (or anyone else who doesn't fit that description). As I said, I don't disagree with your point as the same can be said about recruiting high school players.

Not to be acrimonious, but I just don't get how loving Auburn implies you can't admire a kid who plays for Bama.  And of all the guys for Auburn people to bash.

2009:  the guy breaks a 70 yard TD against us on a freaking pop screen, then converts three third and fourth down situations on the game-winning drive (albeit on illegal pick plays).

2010: the guy 170 yards on us in the first half.  Thank God we made some kind of adjustment. 

I don't know how he'll do in the NFL, but he's been fabulous in college.  And no one can deny his work ethic or team outlook.

I think you are thinking of lsu where he broke the 70 yard screen he did not score in the 2009 game.  

Not to be acrimonious, but I just don't get how loving Auburn implies you can't admire a kid who plays for Bama.  And of all the guys for Auburn people to bash.

2009:  the guy breaks a 70 yard TD against us on a freaking pop screen, then converts three third and fourth down situations on the game-winning drive (albeit on illegal pick plays).

2010: the guy 170 yards on us in the first half.  Thank God we made some kind of adjustment. 

I don't know how he'll do in the NFL, but he's been fabulous in college.  And no one can deny his work ethic or team outlook.

^^^^ This ^^^^^ Thank you for promoting objectivity on this site.  

Why are you getting so upset rock?  :laugh: :laugh:

Not upset, I am being entertained and having fun as I research the best way to get from my hotel in Glendale to the The University of Phoenix Stadium.

Why comment on something heard on JOX?

But I'll say this.  Julio is a fantastic player.  He is the guy who beat us last year, by the way.  Everything I see on the field is pure football player.  He kills himself just as hard to make a block as he does to get open.

He is a decent football player, the only thing about him is that stupid "How dare you touch me, don't you know who I am?" look that he gives other players when they tackle him.

Quick, call the NFL GM's and let them know that Julio is only a "decent" player, they are about to make him a first round draft pick and waste a lot of money on him. Mel Kiper has him the number 9 pick over all.

Kiper and those NFL guys obviously do not know what they are doing.

Not to be disagreeable but those NFL guys are wrong quite a bit.  See the absence of ryan leaf, jamarcus russell, matt leinart, vince young, alex smith, and every 1st round wr picked by the detroit lions up until calvin johnson from pro bowl games and some even from the league.

I do not at all disagree with your point. However, when it comes down to it, whose opinion do you value more, Kiper and NFL GM's or some guy that has a vested emotional interest in things being a certain way that is wearing orange and blue glasses and a tin foil hat sitting in the most sincere pumpkin patch watching for and waiting on the black helicopters as he posts to an Auburn Discussion board from his iphone.

BTW, I am not talking about you above (or anyone else who doesn't fit that description). As I said, I don't disagree with your point as the same can be said about recruiting high school players.

[/quot

I think most are just seeing that wr often turns into a primadonna position, especially at the next left.  He is obviously a physical specimen, but what he does with that is what will determine his outcome.  He has had drop problems and durability issues during his college career and those usually carry over.  I think most here are thinking he will not be controllable at the next level where the coach has much less authority over players who make more money than he does.   Will he become a johnson, irvin, or owens who were all primadonnas but were great players?  Or will he become a version charles rogers, roy williams, and reggie williams?  

Not upset, I am being entertained and having fun as I research the best way to get from my hotel in Glendale to the The University of Phoenix Stadium.

Shouldn't you be in Orlando?  ;D  :tease: JK.

Shouldn't you be in Orlando?  ;D  :tease: JK.

No that would blow my cover. I will sneak in incognito (that means in disguise) and sit in the presidents box at the game on Friday night and then fly back on the UAT plane with coach Saban and the team after the game.

I just need to be sure everyone knows I am in Glendale for the big game. That helps me maintain my cover as a Big Red Elephant agent. If I do this assignment well, I will get my own secret decoder national championship ring  :yay:

Once I get that decoder ring I will be able to get secret messages from Coach Saban, PBJ, Cecil, Shane, Red Snapper and Tuna Fish.

JK as well...  :yay:;D

I think you are thinking of lsu where he broke the 70 yard screen he did not score in the 2009 game. 

I stand corrected -- thanks!

Just the same, he caught 9 for 83 on us, and he was the guy who beat us on that last drive.

Julio is a great runner with the ball in his hands -- I've seen him drag several guys down the field.  He runs good routes, and gets good body position when the ball is in the air.

The only knock on him is his hands.  I've seen him make some great catches (one-handed, snatching the ball from the air with his fingertips, etc.), but I've seen him drop more easy catches than make great ones.

In the end, I would love to have him on my team.

I have no problems with Julio, just the team he plays for. Julio is a great WR and will do well in the NFL.

Saban will miss him (and Ingram, Hightower, and that other guy) next season.

Saban should know this, he has turned UAT into a 3 year college for football players with skills. All Juniors that have any kind of pro skills will bolt to the NFL to get away from coach  :devil:...

Saban has taught his players well, no loyalties for anyone other than yourself.

Julio is an outstanding receiver. Some of yall need to ease up on him. If he went to Auburn you guys would praise him. He's better than any receivers we've had in the past 20 years

He's got more hype, I'll give you that.  

I really don't see the justification for it, though.  He's got physical tools and he's had some good games.  But he's also disappeared in several, too.   I don't think he's been coached all that well and I don't think Alabama takes complete advantage of what he could be capable of.  He goes to the right team and he might be a better pro than a collegian.  Or he could be the next Jamarcus Russell if he doesn't sever ties with his hometown crew.  

I wouldn't trade Obomanu, Aromashodu or Taylor for him even though none of those three might have had the raw physical talent he has.   Good players -- better people.

Julio is an outstanding receiver. Some of yall need to ease up on him. If he went to Auburn you guys would praise him. He's better than any receivers we've had in the past 20 years

Sorry I have to disagree. He is definitely an awesome football player but he has a tad too much hype that pumps him up. We definitely have had some better than Julio in the past 20 years.

If Julio was so great he would act like he's been there before after he makes a big play, not jump up and act like a badass to a punter. You know kinda like DA does, just hands the ball back to the ref because its nothing new to him.

Sorry even if he were to return next year he still wouldn't win the Heisman. He is just not that good.

this in spades. WHo Do You Know is as good a fisherman as he is a WR. I'll take Darvin Adams anyday . . .

Sorry I have to disagree. He is definitely an awesome football player but he has a tad too much hype that pumps him up. We definitely have had some better than Julio in the past 20 years.

If Julio was so great he would act like he's been there before after he makes a big play, not jump up and act like a badass to a punter. You know kinda like DA does, just hands the ball back to the ref because its nothing new to him.

Kenny Irons did the same thing many times and nobody here said anything about it. Josh Bynes does it too. Some people like DA are laid back and don't do anything after plays. Some people, Like KI and Julio, flaunt a little after plays. It's just his personality.

And who do you think is a better WR than Julio that we've had recently? On the field, not better people or better personalities

Kenny Irons did the same thing many times and nobody here said anything about it. Josh Bynes does it too. Some people like DA are laid back and don't do anything after plays. Some people, Like KI and Julio, flaunt a little after plays. It's just his personality.

And who do you think is a better WR than Julio that we've had recently? On the field, not better people or better personalities

I hate to disagree with you but, Julie-O does not flaunt after a play. You can see that he is pissed off that someone would dare to tackle him. He is like a 5 year old that just had his toy taken away. This is what I was speaking of in my previous post on this thread. Attitude reflects leadership. He is only acting out what he sees his coach do. Sure we all get frustrated when things dont work the way we want them to. But you do not have to let everyone in the world see that you are frustrated. See Cam Newton for a good example, if anyone had a good excuse to get in someones face after a good play this year it would be him. He just goes back to the huddle with a smile on his face and spreads it to the entire team.

I hate to disagree with you but, Julie-O does not flaunt after a play. You can see that he is pissed off that someone would dare to tackle him. He is like a 5 year old that just had his toy taken away. This is what I was speaking of in my previous post on this thread. Attitude reflects leadership. He is only acting out what he sees his coach do. Sure we all get frustrated when things dont work the way we want them to. But you do not have to let everyone in the world see that you are frustrated. See Cam Newton for a good example, if anyone had a good excuse to get in someones face after a good play this year it would be him. He just goes back to the huddle with a smile on his face and spreads it to the entire team.

He's not pissed that they tried to tackle him, he's being intimidating, which isnt hard for a 6'4 220 lbs receiver. Many players do this, he's just trying to make the other player feel inferior, it's a common action.

And as for letting the world see he's frustrated, I've never seen him call out his QB or coach on the field or in an interview about them not throwing the ball to him sometimes. He always keeps his business to himself, and actually acts professional, unlike many receivers. That shows maturity IMO

Archived