Saban trying to talk Julio to return for Heisman....

wdeexit310

juli-o may be good, but last time I checked when he is guarded by Patrick Peterson he gets shut down(future NFL starting CB). I really haven't seen him go off on any CB that will play on sundays

JMO

If 10 catches for 89 yards and a TD against Peterson this year is shut down, then Neiko Thorpe must be a shutdown corner as well

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive seen the kid live in highschool 2 times (both times he was shut down by 5'8'' corners when foley played prattville) Ive seen him a many time on T.V. Since he made it to bama, And havent seen one game you could say he took over or had a "break out game". The "huge" games he had (2010 IB for example) was due to blown coverages and the guy running wide open. I have yet to see him dominate a game. As far as WR skill sets go our top 2 WRs ( D. adams and T . Zach) are better route runners , and also have better hands then JJ . Now I would say JJ is a somewhat better blocker and is a tougher person to tackle but we are talking about a WR not a FB. As far as him being an all pro at the next level I would doubt it. IMHO he he can stay healthy he could end up as a Career #2 or #3 WR for the right team, But will never be a #1 option in the NFL. I just dont see how you could structure your passing game around a "good blocker". Not a knock on the kid , because either way he still will be making millions on Sundays.

You cant say he isnt a better route runner than T-Zac or DA. Like you watch that kinda stuff...

There was only one play in the IB where there was blown coverage and he scored. Everything else was earned. He had over 200 yards against Tennessee. He had 100+ yards against USCe. He had 10 catches for 89 yards and a TD against the Bednarik Award winner.

If Julio really had as many flaws as you guys say he has, he wouldnt be a projected top 10 pick. There's a reason a team will use such a high pick on him

I have yet to see/hear of a team base their Defensive Gameplan around shuting down #8. Every T.V. broadcast, Every radio show, And Every article you read talks about stopping bama's run game. Im sorry  but I feel different than you do. However I understand what You are saying. ITs still my feeling If I was putting together a COLLEGE Football team I would look elsewhere for My Starting WRs.  As far as sitting and watching every route they run...nah never said I did. I just know I havent seen many highlights of Julio putting a double move on a CB and making a big catch. Atleaset none that stick out in my head right now. I think back to Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, heck even Prothro making not only the routine catches , But the highlight sportscenter type catches that changed games. You had DCs losing sleep over how to stop these guys. To be honest dont think many DCs are doing the same for julio. Julio will be a GREAT addition to a Run First NFL team. Like I said not a knock on the kid , But Im just not a believer of the hype that started in foley with Kenny Stabler and his crew leading the charge.

I have yet to see/hear of a team base their Defensive Gameplan around shuting down #8. Every T.V. broadcast, Every radio show, And Every article you read talks about stopping bama's run game. Im sorry  but I feel different than you do. However I understand what You are saying. ITs still my feeling If I was putting together a COLLEGE Football team I would look elsewhere for My Starting WRs.  As far as sitting and watching every route they run...nah never said I did. I just know I havent seen many highlights of Julio putting a double move on a CB and making a big catch. Atleaset none that stick out in my head right now. I think back to Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, heck even Prothro making not only the routine catches , But the highlight sportscenter type catches that changed games. You had DCs losing sleep over how to stop these guys. To be honest dont think many DCs are doing the same for julio. Julio will be a GREAT addition to a Run First NFL team. Like I said not a knock on the kid , But Im just not a believer of the hype that started in foley with Kenny Stabler and his crew leading the charge.

Yeah I understand that. I just think he is never focused upon because Alabama doesnt pass that much and have a Heisman winner in their backfield. I think once he gets into the NFL and gets in a system where he will be involved more, he'll do much better. As long as he can stay healthy, which to this point he hasnt been able to do

This thread should be on a bammer message board. Why is there a thread on an Auburn message board singing the praises of a turd player?  :dunno:

It's mostly Auburn fans calling an All-SEC receiver, projected as a Top 10 pick, a terrible receiver. Makes a whole lotta sense to me  :dunno:

Guest WarDamnSoule

Julio could be the second coming of Randy Moss and I still wouldn't draft him until he stopped going out in public looking like the Wendy's mascot. No man should ever wear pigtails. Ever.

Julio could be the second coming of Randy Moss and I still wouldn't draft him until he stopped going out in public looking like the Wendy's mascot. No man should ever wear pigtails. Ever.

:laugh: I will agree with that. The pigtails are ridiculous

I've never seen a WR dominate a football game like Julio did the first half of the Iron Bowl this year.  I don't mean statistics.  I mean the simple fact that we had no one who could remotely cover him.  They threw to him whenever they wanted (wasn't McElroy something like 14 of 14?), and then everybody else was wide open.

I'll give Coach Roof a lot of credit for figuring out a way to contain him.  Because frankly, that big of a problem is hard to cover up when the other team has so many other weapons.  But for the first half we literally could not cover the kid -- not one single play.

This thread should be on a bammer message board. Why is there a thread on an Auburn message board singing the praises of a turd player?  :dunno:

It's mostly Auburn fans calling an All-SEC receiver, projected as a Top 10 pick, a terrible receiver. Makes a whole lotta sense to me  :dunno:

I can't argue with AMM. I think there is a lot of Julio hate just because he's at bama, which is understandable.

Does that include Willie Nelson and Native Americans? :dunno:

I will agree with you on Julio's pigtails though. They are girlish and they make him look stupid.

I can't argue with AMM. I think there is a lot of Julio hate just because he's at bama, which is understandable.

It is kinda understandable, but the painful truth is that Julio is a very good receiver.  :(

It is kinda understandable, but the painful truth is that Julio is a very good receiver.  :(

I don't think anybody can argue with that. he is without a doubt a good receiver. He is just a little bit over rated.

I said Julio was a decent player, I'm not hating on the kid. Is he a gamechanger that draws the anxiety of an Alshon Jeffery? I wouldn't say so. It's just my opinion. Will he make a great player in the League? It's a possibility, who knows how durable he will be? He may come into the league and shatter every WR record, then again, he may not make it at all. If Alshon Jeffery could come out, he would be taken over Jones I think.

Archived