Will AJ McCarron be next year's John Brantley?

AgentOrange

I think if he grows into the leadership role like McElroy and JP Wilson did as QB at Alabama then he will be great. He has all of the intangibles that a QB needs (strong, accurate arm and has pocket awareness). He has to realize that he doesn't need to be Mr.DoItAll. All he really has to do is be a distributor and get it to the playmakers that they have.

I think he'll do a good job. He's got more of a gunslinger mentality than McElroy and JPW, so he'll make more big plays and more mistakes. But I watched him play 4 years at St Pauls, and when he has playmakers around him he can be very dangerous. I think he'll grow into the leadership role once he gets time as the starter

The bammer nation puts lots of pressure on their quarterbacks. Who can remember these quotes :

I can't wait for Bridy to take over.

I can't wait for John Parker to take over.

I can't wait for MCElroy to take over.

And now I've already heard:

I can't wait for McCarron to take over.

Keep in mind McCarron hasn't even started yet and I've already heard : Sims is going to be better than McCarron !!

The unwashed are always looking ahead.

I've also heard that from our own fanbase:

Anybody ever heard these before?

I can't wait for Campbell to take over. He's better than Cobb.

I can't wait for Kodi to take over. He's better than Cox/Todd.

I can't wait for Cam to take over. He's better than Caudle/Kodi/Trotter.

I can't wait for Kiehl to take over. He's better than anyone we will have next year.

:laugh: It goes both ways, unfortunately.

I can't wait for Kiehl to take over. He's better than anyone we will have next year.

Unfortunately, you can't really say that you are excited for someone else to take over when Cam Newton was your previous QB.

Campbell was better than Cobb.

Cam was better than Caudle/Kodi/Trotter.

and Kiehl does have a chance to be better than anyone we will have next year(unless Cam comes back!)

you can put me in this category as well and the only one we missed on was kodi, and i dont regret it because as bad as the offense was you might as well have a mobile qb. chizik, gus and this staff have earned my confidence in making these decisions where tubbs never really did.

you can put me in this category as well and the only one we missed on was kodi, and i dont regret it because as bad as the offense was you might as well have a mobile qb. chizik, gus and this staff have earned my confidence in making these decisions where tubbs never really did.

we will never know how good Kodi could of been had they not been used as a tool to get Cox's attention his freshman year...If hee would of had a consistent guardian through his early Auburn career he might of been an all time great who knows

and Kiehl does have a chance to be better than anyone we will have next year(unless Cam comes back!)

Campbell wasn't any better than Cobb until his senior year and everything that you mentioned still doesn't nix my point. Fanbases are always looking toward the future and most of the time (as long as your QB isn't in the Heisman Trophy race) the backup is the most popular guy.

Well,

Last I heard was AJ had not lost a game since the 2nd grade. So I am sure the bammer nation will hype this up until he loses a game then they will scream to fire Jim McElwain and after his second loss they will scream to bench him and play Sims and Saban and McElwain are gods and that the 3rd string QB could be better than the 1st and next year they are going to go 22 - 0

I think he'll do a good job. He's got more of a gunslinger mentality than McElroy and JPW, so he'll make more big plays and more mistakes. But I watched him play 4 years at St Pauls, and when he has playmakers around him he can be very dangerous. I think he'll grow into the leadership role once he gets time as the starter

Agree AJ has has more deep ball threat ability but will Saban allow 2 much cause they're risky esp. without Julio

He has talent behind him that will push from what Im hearin, Simms is progressing and Saban likes his athleticism.

I also watched him with Barron, Destin Hood (Great ATH. who went pro in MLB), and others when they played, I beleive Briarwood in State Championship with Barrett Trotter... But next year he struggled, yes he had less talent but I watched them play Foley and its was Ugly atleast 4 St. Pauls

Campbell wasn't any better than Cobb until his senior year and everything that you mentioned still doesn't nix my point. Fanbases are always looking toward the future and most of the time (as long as your QB isn't in the Heisman Trophy race) the backup is the most popular guy.

HAHA...oh wait, are you serious? There is a reason they gave Cambell every chance to be QB in 01 even though Tubs said he had to run a HS offense.

HAHA...oh wait, are you serious? There is a reason they gave Cambell every chance to be QB in 01 even though Tubs said he had to run a HS offense.

Alright I exaggerated a good bit :laugh: but your missing the point.. No matter what the situation is there are always people calling for the starting QB's throat and more often than not (with my luck AU is the only exception to this) the backup QB isn't as good as the starter.

Alright I exaggerated a good bit :laugh: but your missing the point.. No matter what the situation is there are always people calling for the starting QB's throat and more often than not (with my luck AU is the only exception to this) the backup QB isn't as good as the starter.

Oh no I agree with your point (except the Cobb part, lol). The 2nd string QB is always the most popular member of a struggling team.

I was just wondering how AJ will do next year.

Thoughts?

With Ingram and Jones possibly leaving for the NFL... I think he will need some help around him before he can lead this team.

Jones is a big part of their passing game and without him... I have doubts.

That defense will be good though.

Oh no I agree with your point (except the Cobb part, lol). The 2nd string QB is always the most popular member of a struggling team.

Campbell was on the $ his Jr. year also.  If you will remember, there were a lot of dropped passes that year.

Archived