Tropical Storm Ivan???

geauxscott

I don't know if this has been posted yet but IVAN is back!!! Hurricane Ivan is back into the Gulf of Mexico. It came off the east coast turned south and then west, crossed Florida and now is sitting due south of New Orleans. Although its just a Tropical Depression and poses no real threat, I thought this was rather interesting...Its expected to regain Tropical Storm status before landfall.

Tropical Depression Ivan

I don't think I have ever seen a hurricane make landfall, go up the east coast, DOWN the gulf stream, cross Florida and make land fall again in TX/LA. Ivan must like the Big Easy... :lol:

:au:

I don't think that it made that entire trip. Just the remains left in the gulf that developed. I could be wrong!

No actually the center of circulation made the trip......they just explained it on the Weather Channel. When Ivan got up into the Carolinas a front broke it apart, most of the precipitation went north with the front, but the center of circulation (the Low pressure) was pushed off the east coast. After it was pushed off the coast it got in to some steering currents surrounding a High pressure sytem just north of Tennessee and forced it South and then West. And now it is in the Gulf......Its crazy but it really did happened. I was wondering how it happened, then I saw it on the Weather Channel

Thats right i said it Ivan has reformed and as of 10 pm is a tropical storm again at the mouth of the Mississippi..... :blink:

I don't think that it made that entire trip.  Just the remains left in the gulf that developed.  I could be wrong!

No actually the center of circulation made the trip......they just explained it on the Weather Channel. When Ivan got up into the Carolinas a front broke it apart, most of the precipitation went north with the front, but the center of circulation (the Low pressure) was pushed off the east coast. After it was pushed off the coast it got in to some steering currents surrounding a High pressure sytem just north of Tennessee and forced it South and then West. And now it is in the Gulf......Its crazy but it really did happened. I was wondering how it happened, then I saw it on the Weather Channel

That's pretty wild considering our prevailing weather patterns are generally west to east. Jeanne is circling in the Caribbean... Can this hurricane season be any weirder???

:au:

I live in Pace just outside of Pensacola. Many people were hurt or killed. The 12 mile trip to Pensacola now takes up to two hours and every building and home in the greater pensacola area has at least some damage and most have major damage. Most of the city and counties are withour power as of now and we have curfews. The water is not fit to drink and the most beautiful beaches in the world are destroyed.

Ivan can kiss my a$$ :angry:

At least now that it is strengthening it won't have time to make it back up to hurricane strength. As of this morning the rain bands were starting to re-form. That's been one hell of a storm!

Archived