MLB & Jake Holland

YaBoyMaxWeezy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel Jake will come into his own this season. I also predict he is going to knock the poop out of some people.

What are your thoughts on Jake Holland at MLB? I haven't heard much of anything about him from the players or coaches. I most worried about middle of our defense, DT and MLB.

I would agree with your concerns.

If seems Eltoro and Holland are the complete opposites....Jake seems to mentally have it, Eltoro seems to physically have it. I hope one of them gets a lot faster or a lot smarter during fall practice.

Could Eltoro overtake his spot???

The video showed Roof working one on one with him, going through signals... They seem to be doing alot of work with him at MLB.

Bates & Evans must be the front runners for the OLB, If Eltoro was gonna start outside then it seems his focus would be on that.

I guess we will see. I really hope Eltoro and D Lo have break out seasons and get out of the rut they've been stuck in the past 2 years.

I think our secondary, outside LBs and DE are going to be EXTREMELY good!

I'm worried about second half when Whitaker/Carter start wearing down, and a lot of inside rushes are going to fall on Jake's shoulders......I feel teams like LSU and Bama are just going to pound it up the middle everytime for 3-4 yards. JMO.

I share the concerns over DT, but I'm much more concerned about all of our linebacker spots.  Bates and Evans will be serviceable starters, but neither is going to shut down part of the field.  I also think Holland will be serviceable to solid at the MLB spot, but when you combine the facts that we are going to be playing true freshmen at DT, the OLB's he's playing with, and the uncertainty in the secondary, I'm not sure he is ready to carry that load. 

The video showed Roof working one on one with him, going through signals... They seem to be doing alot of work with him at MLB.

Bates & Evans must be the front runners for the OLB, If Eltoro was gonna start outside then it seems his focus would be on that.

Freeman is listed as starting OLB and first backup MLB. Maybe they're giving him reps in the middle since he's already got years of experience at OLB? I don't think anyone else we have at OLB is better than Holland is, which means putting the three best on the field means him in the middle and Toro and Bates on the outside, IMO. But we shall see.

Freeman is listed as starting OLB and first backup MLB. Maybe they're giving him reps in the middle since he's already got years of experience at OLB? I don't think anyone else we have at OLB is better than Holland is, which means putting the three best on the field means him in the middle and Toro and Bates on the outside, IMO. But we shall see.

Pretty sure that the reports have had Toro  working only at MLB.  Not positive, I hope he is coming along at one of the outside spots.

Pretty sure that the reports have had Toro  working only at MLB.  Not positive, I hope he is coming along at one of the outside spots.

I wasn't arguing about where he's been working, I was pointing out that he's listed as starting OLB on the depth charts and pointing out that he's not like Chad Slade, a freshman who needs as many reps as he can get at one position, he's a senior who has been starting for two years on the outside. One would think he'd know his responsibility there pretty well, which would lead to the belief that he needs more work on the inside if he's ever called upon to fill that role (like if something happens to Jake), but :dunno:

I'm by no means an expert at the subject, but it seems to me that Eltoro could very well see a good deal of time at both the middle and outside linebacker spots.  All the reports of him emerging as a vocal leader and getting reps at both positions would seem to indicate that he could very well be the kind of guy that the coaches leave on the field for good stretches of time to quarterback the defense, placing him at either MLB or OLB depending on whichever other personnel happens to be out there at the time.

I wasn't arguing about where he's been working, I was pointing out that he's listed as starting OLB on the depth charts and pointing out that he's not like Chad Slade, a freshman who needs as many reps as he can get at one position, he's a senior who has been starting for two years on the outside. One would think he'd know his responsibility there pretty well, which would lead to the belief that he needs more work on the inside if he's ever called upon to fill that role (like if something happens to Jake), but :dunno:

No offense intended for Eltoro here, but it seemed to me he really only really understood his role at OLB at the end of the year. He made strides in the early season but didn't seem to put it all together until late. I doubt they would pull him from a slot he was comfortable in only to teach him a new position so he could play a backup role there.

I could be wrong.

I read that Roof finally has the talent in the secondary to open up the defense to include more packages. They're using some of the younger guys for roles in certain alignments. Nickel was one I remember. He said last year we had to play 3 LBs most of the time because they were our best option. That made us run the zone because they couldn't run with the receivers. There could be a package that protects against the pass in which they put in El Toro at MLB for his lateral speed. Some kind of Prevent defense where speed is cruicial. He did say that we are going to put more DBs and less LBs on the field at times.

That seems to be how they're helping to get players ready quickly. Teach an inexperienced player one formation. That way he will be comfortable with it. I know Therezie was one of those guys. He might not be able to learn the entire defense in time but he's talented and we need him on the field. That way we have fresh legs in there running with their receivers with less chance of confusion.

That seems to be how they're helping to get players ready quickly. Teach an inexperienced player one formation. That way he will be comfortable with it. I know Therezie was one of those guys. He might not be able to learn the entire defense in time but he's talented and we need him on the field. That way we have fresh legs in there running with their receivers with less chance of confusion.

Valid points.

I wish nothing but the best for all of our players and hope they all keep improving.  With Toro his ability has never been in question, his consistency has.  He has struggled for two years to be consistent at the OLB position, even if the light is coming on for him, I doubt he is going from struggling to be in the right spot himself, to directing the entire defense from the MLB spot (being a starter that is). 

I hope the light is coming on for him at an OLB spot.  Either way I hope he puts it all together this year, if so he could be a force.

No offense intended for Eltoro here, but it seemed to me he really only really understood his role at OLB at the end of the year. He made strides in the early season but didn't seem to put it all together until late. I doubt they would pull him from a slot he was comfortable in only to teach him a new position so he could play a backup role there.

I could be wrong.

This all could be for when were in the 4-2-5... Bates & Eltoro could be the 2 for that line up and that could explain him needing to learn the signals... I would think Eltoro would fit that line up better than holland.

I think Jake Holland will be fine, he's gonna have a huge load to carrry and he will need to be the leader on the field.  But, I think he will step up and lead the defense to be better than we've seen yet.

• 7 months later...

I think Jake Holland will be fine, he's gonna have a huge load to carrry and he will need to be the leader on the field.  But, I think he will step up and lead the defense to be better than we've seen yet.

Today,Coach Thig really called him out concerning his  lack of leadership . :dunno: Any thoughts?

Today,Coach Thig really called him out concerning his  lack of leadership . :dunno: Any thoughts?

Link?

Archived