Spurrier calls out ESPN over Bama coverage

Ed_

While speaking with Patrick, Spurrier also groused about Alabama getting favorable treatment from ESPN, relative to the other teams in the SEC. He said he even mentioned it to league commissioner Mike Slive.

ESPN was on Alabama's campus for an All-Access program during preseason camp a year ago. (It's at Oklahoma this year for the behind-the-scenes program.) It also ran an ad featuring fans saying "Roll Tide" during the bowl season.

"I said, ‘How much did Alabama pay those guys to do that?' ” Spurrier said, recalling his conversation with Slive. "He said, ‘Oh, they didn't have to pay them anything.' I said, ‘Well, what happened to Go Gators or Rocky Top or Go Gamecocks?' I didn't think that was all that fair."

The topic came up when Spurrier hinted he didn't think Texas' new Longhorn Network, affiliated with ESPN, was necessarily fair for the rest of the Big 12.

"Since we're pretty far away from it," Spurrier said, "I don't really have to worry about it."

I am glad that Spurrier spoke out, so people will understand what we have been saying for the past year. ESPN had a little thing on yesterday about teams 15 thru 25 in the polls. They started from 25 down to 15. They said just a few words about each team, then they said something about the #20 team then they went to #18, #17 #16 #15. I was waiting for us at #19 and the guy skipped us. It was not the college football live show, it was earlier. I know that sounds crazy, but not only are they in bed with Bama, but they are going to snubb us every little chance they get. That crap with Nick and Urbin before the National Championship game was also a jab at us i think. Lets see if they have Coach Chizik on next yrs Championship game if we are not in it.

I wish Suprrier would have asked them about having Nikki do half time of our BCSNCG and how does ESPN allow that?

Why is a guy that has been blasted about the way he treats recruits on a panel of how to change NCAA laws? If you have a NCAA rule named after you, you should not sit on a panel that complains about rules.

That guy is a dirt bag and turns my stomach every time I see him.

They are getting crazy exposure from ESPN, now it seems AU fans are not the only ones seeing it.

They are getting crazy exposure from ESPN, now it seems AU fans are not the only ones seeing it.

As long as others do too is all that matters.  GRRRR. 

I'm glad Spurrier made his point, but it sounds like he is whining.

I can't recall him complaining even one time about the publicity his alma mater received when ESPN praised Tim Tebow and Urban Meyer for what seemed like years.  I got so sick and tired of hearing how great Tim Tebow was that I wanted to puke, and it wasn't just ESPN that did it, it was every sports broadcast in the nation ABC/NBC.  

Slive is probably happy as a clam that one of his SEC teams is getting constant attention and publicity ~ I can't see why Slive would want anything to change.

As long as others do too is all that matters.  GRRRR. 

I watched it live on Fox (FSN). It was a good interview. You know he will speak his mind on any subject. That is exactly what Spurrier did. What actually started the whole conversation was Dan Patrick asked him about this Texas Longhorn Network that ESPN is launching. He said he didn't care because they weren't in our conference, but then went towards the bama angle and how it seems BSPN kisses their rears.

I don't care what anyone says, I like the OBC.  What a character.

I agree. I talked with him in Birmingham 5 or 6 years ago after a round of golf. He seemed.....relaxed. He was just a guy talking about whatever subject was going on at the time. I am sure he can be a prick at times, but my experience was great. Barkley was there at the same time. He just seemed tired and disinterested and just wanted to get on the airplane and go. Not rude or unfriendly though. I think I would feel the same way if I played a round of golf with that swing :)

I am glad that Spurrier spoke out, so people will understand what we have been saying for the past year. ESPN had a little thing on yesterday about teams 15 thru 25 in the polls. They started from 25 down to 15. They said just a few words about each team, then they said something about the #20 team then they went to #18, #17 #16 #15. I was waiting for us at #19 and the guy skipped us. It was not the college football live show, it was earlier. I know that sounds crazy, but not only are they in bed with Bama, but they are going to snubb us every little chance they get. That crap with Nick and Urbin before the National Championship game was also a jab at us i think. Lets see if they have Coach Chizik on next yrs Championship game if we are not in it.

irrelevant

Archived