Fly over?

wdeexit310

Guest JNieder51188

there hasn't been a flyover this year....yet. The UF game we just had fireworks. And we had a flyover for the big SEC home games last year...that were on the CBS 2:30 slate. So who knows what's in store saturday.

There is a flyover for the game.... There is a new rule that the game has to be within 7 days of a nationally recognized holiday for there to be a flyover... There was one at UGA for veterans day

Did not know that thanks

There is a flyover for the game.... There is a new rule that the game has to be within 7 days of a nationally recognized holiday for there to be a flyover... There was one at UGA for veterans day

There was one for Arkansas, too.. was that for Columbus Day?

We have had a fly over every game this year.  I recall one when the pilot hit the sky box and had to recover to complete it.  Several fans close to the collision had to change shorts after the correction.  I's rather see an eagle fly over than a plane any day.  If we have a fly over hope it is after the eagle is caged.

My only hope is that next year they release the eagle and the gamecock at the same time. :believe::tdau::zapbama:

I'm glad that the fly over excites you all, but when there is a fly over, you don't realize that it requires somewhere around 200 people to lose out on their weekend just for 3-4 seconds of enjoyment that will be forgotten about once the teams take the field. It's hardly worth all that work, not to mention if the jets land broken they have to be fixed for Mondays flying, so some of those people may lose out on their whole weekend just for you to have a 3-4 second flyover. taking a lot of people away from their families and weekend activities. I work hard enough during the week, and already work enough weekends without having to do extra weekends just for a crowd to see a few jets for a few seconds.

So next time you want to see a flyover at a sporting event, think about all the men and women that work overly hard as is protecting this country, and ask yourself if it's really worth making one of the military flying units to work on the few days they have off when they are back at home station just so you can have a flyover. Isn't protecting this country enough?

Once you have actually given this some serious thought, decide to attend an airshow instead, you can get all the flyovers you want out of your system without screwing over your service men and women.

I'm glad that the fly over excites you all, but when there is a fly over, you don't realize that it requires somewhere around 200 people to lose out on their weekend just for 3-4 seconds of enjoyment that will be forgotten about once the teams take the field. It's hardly worth all that work, not to mention if the jets land broken they have to be fixed for Mondays flying, so some of those people may lose out on their whole weekend just for you to have a 3-4 second flyover. taking a lot of people away from their families and weekend activities. I work hard enough during the week, and already work enough weekends without having to do extra weekends just for a crowd to see a few jets for a few seconds.

So next time you want to see a flyover at a sporting event, think about all the men and women that work overly hard as is protecting this country, and ask yourself if it's really worth making one of the military flying units to work on the few days they have off when they are back at home station just so you can have a flyover. Isn't protecting this country enough?

Once you have actually given this some serious thought, decide to attend an airshow instead, you can get all the flyovers you want out of your system without screwing over your service men and women.

I hear what you are saying. I certainly appreciate what our military does for us. However, the military can say no to this. They have before. Also, I have to work on weekends. A lot of people do! I miss time from my family because of it. How is that any different?

I hear what you are saying. I certainly appreciate what our military does for us. However, the military can say no to this. They have before. Also, I have to work on weekends. A lot of people do! I miss time from my family because of it. How is that any different?

@Stripe, I know it's been quite a few years since this old vet retired from the Air Force, and even longer since I pounded the flight line as a jet mechanic, but I must say that I do neither share your outlook nor attitude on fly-overs. I worked many week-ends, for many different reasons, but in the end, only one reason was necessary. I volunteered to serve my country, and I'm proud that I did serve. Earlier this week I celebrated the 49th anniversary of my enlistment, next week I hope to celebrate the 23rd anniversay of my retirement from active duty. I'd likely not "fit" nor progress in today's military if your point of view is widely shared. Even today, I'd be humbled and proud to launch and maintain a jet, if mine were lucky and privileged enough to participate in a fly-over at any event, much less the Iron Bowl. I'd still be telling my Grand-kids that story! Please don't misunderstand, I respect your attitude, just don't share it. I'm sure you'll not lose sleep over my revelation, but I might, over yours.

20 years ago, My outlook on this was very different. since then, they have cut us so short personnel wise and continue to up the flying like they doubled our people. So yea It's real different since I started this journey 21 years ago. I remember fighting over work when I first came in, now there is not enough people to do everything that needs to be done.

It's changed so much It's not any fun anymore, even when it's supposed to be. we are continually asked to do more with less, and less, and less. Congress needs a reality check because they are continually cutting people.  Add that to the fact the we deploy all the time now and there are no longer TDY's as a reward. Just more deployments with Inspections in between. It's not a path I would recommend to anyone who plans on making a career out of it. Especially any flightline mechanic job.

I remember my first 10 years being more filled with pride, the last 10 have felt like legalized slavery.

It's not that I disagree with your pride and memories, I actually miss the way I felt my first 10 years in. it's just so different now, and Yes I'm proud of my service, and what I do. I Just don't look forward to more work than we already have. The plate is overflowing already.

somehow I doubt that you spend 6-7 months away from home at a time, so when we are home, we work enough weekends without adding anything extra on to it.

Yes the military could say no, unfortunately the guy that says yes, is probably sitting at home with his family on that weekend or at the/a game enjoying himself.

somehow I doubt that you spend 6-7 months away from home at a time, so when we are home, we work enough weekends without adding anything extra on to it.

Yes the military could say no, unfortunately the guy that says yes, is probably sitting at home with his family on that weekend or at the/a game enjoying himself.

You're right, I don't spend 6-7 months at a time away from my family. I didn't pick a career that caused me to do so. I also agree with the above poster. You should take pride when you see a flyover. I know I feel tons of pride knowing that I live in this great country. Seeing those jets or helicopters or whatever flys over that stadium is awesome and you and your family should be proud of that.

Archived