Tiger Woods

Ronald McDonald

Hey augolf....what's the date on the pic you posted with your message...reminds me of the old days...maybe  late 1960s? 

As for Tiger...yep golf needs him but he is going to have to beat an entire field of world players before he is really "back" and not just a halfful on his own course.    Maybe he will make it?

:we:

Hey augolf....what's the date on the pic you posted with your message...reminds me of the old days...maybe  late 1960s? 

As for Tiger...yep golf needs him but he is going to have to beat an entire field of world players before he is really "back" and not just a halfful on his own course.    Maybe he will make it?

:we:

Pic. 1969... the end zone was completed in 1970. Beard-Eaves completed in 1969. You will notice the parking lots for Haley Ctr. have not been finished.

Sorry for another post but alot of people do not realize the stadium had a track for the track team. You will notice the track disappears under the completed end zone. Small trivia there young guys. My best friend ran there for the state championship for high school.

• 3 months later...

He looked really good last week and should be right in the thick of it at Augusta. He was in it the last two years even though he really wasn't playing that good overall. I think he can still dominate the field. I am a fan and maybe a bit biased. His personal life is just that and none of my business IMHO.

Here's my take on Woods:

Tiger was raised to believe he was the best and that noone could beat him. I think, and I have nothing to back this up with, that Earl instilled a belief system in Tiger from an early age that he is the best and will always be the best. Which I think is a great thing and a bad thing. I think this belief system contributed to the scandal he went through. He had a choice to make. He can't blame anybody but himself for what he went through. But, the mindset that he was bulletproof, and the belief of, "I am freakin Tiger Woods, I am not supposed to lose or be told no." was what, in my opinion, took him down that road.

That same mindset is what propelled him to absolute greatness and dominance on the course. To be able to turn the world's greatest golfers into scared, defeated players just by entering a tournament, is proof of how much a force his mindset was early on. Golfers even said that he was impossible to beat when he was on his game. He held all four major championships at one time because of his dominance in 2000 and 2001. A feat only accomplished by Bobby Jones.

Tiger Woods was virtually impossible to beat before he went through this scandal. He was #1 in the world and was on a collision course with Nicklaus's record. He had the world of golf on strings and could do whatever he willed himself to do on the course. Watch some of Tiger's greatest shots to see what only a person with supreme belief in his or her ability could pull off. Some of the shots he has hit in his career, not even Nicklaus would attempt back in the day. Like the shot he hit in Canada from a fairway bunker over water to about 12 feet. Or the shot from the fairway bunker with a 3 iron over a tree with a horrible stance to about 8 feet. The guy was unstoppable.

He was bulletproof until all of his troubles came to light that fateful day. On that day, Tiger Woods became human. He knew it, and the rest of the golfing world knew it. 

Tiger Woods was no longer the dominant force he once was. He lost that mystique of being unstoppable and his belief in himself developed cracks. Doubt crept in about his ability. Doubt crept in about what Earl taught him all throughout childhood. He became beatable. And this was the one thing he had never experienced in his life. And he didn't know how to handle it without his father being there to show him how. Tiger Woods was lost without Earl. He had no authority figure to ask why this was happening to him. After all, he was Tiger freaking Woods, the unstoppable force that would not be denied anything he wanted.

Tiger lost his confidence in his ability to will himself past his competitors to win tournaments.

And I think this is why he is playing, by the standards of the greatest in the world, like an average tour pro. Because he can no longer will himself to do the miraculous. To pull off what only a player with supreme confidence could pull off. He is no longer the Woods of old.

But with this last win, that confidence has reared it's head again. The Tiger of old has appeared in the distance. And now the rest of the world has noticed.

And are afraid.

Augusta week will begin Monday. And in my opinion, Nicklaus's record is shaking in its spikes once again.

If Tiger's putter is working he'll win the Masters. His ball striking has been solid since the President's Cup. I hope Bubba ends up in the mix although I don't think his short game is good enough to win at Augusta. Westwood or Mahan would also be a good story. War Damn Masters Week!!!

For what its worth, Tom Lehman gave me two badges on Washington Road way back in 2002. He quickly became one of my favorites.

Just like the rest of us golfers, It's all in the mind. Not being in the present can really destroy your game, just like being too much in the present can destroy your game.

I think before the fall Tiger was mentally in the game, and didn't have to think to play great. After the fall his mind was on other things, which we all know can screw you over when playing golf. furthermore while distractions were banging in to his subconscious, His mind was too focused on what he was doing while trying to block out the other stuff, causing mistakes in his swing and putting.

His other issue with his return to greatness is his knee injury. Trying to play Army has never been dumber than that day he got his knee caved in. Just goes to show just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I think now that the dust is settled in his private life and his knee has had ample time to heal properly, we will see the emergence of the old tiger in some form or fashion. I'm not sure that the return will ever be as great as it was before the fall but should be complete enough to start winning some matches again. As long as things stay smooth for him.

Rory Mac has a really good chance this week along with Woods.

I like Rory too. He has obviously grown a lot since making the final turn last year. Augusta knew it had a young player with a chance to win his first major and Augusta wasn't going to let that happen.

I like Rory too. He has obviously grown a lot since making the final turn last year. Augusta knew it had a young player with a chance to win his first major and Augusta wasn't going to let that happen.

Yep. Augusta.... she lures you in with her beauty.....and then snaps your freaking head off when you get too greedy. She is a fickle old gal.

Yep. Augusta.... she lures you in with her beauty.....and then snaps your freaking head off when you get too greedy. She is a fickle old gal.

Now there you go again you never ever call Augusta national an old gal.............................but I get your point weeg. Been to Augusta National 5 times for the tourney and I tried for 20 years to get on the volunteer staff so I could play it on Monday after the tournament. Not sure they do that anymore for the volunteers.

Now there you go again you never ever call Augusta national an old gal.............................but I get your point weeg. Been to Augusta National 5 times for the tourney and I tried for 20 years to get on the volunteer staff so I could play it on Monday after the tournament. Not sure they do that anymore for the volunteers.

That is one event I would love to attend. I think that has to go on the bucket list.

That is one event I would love to attend. I think that has to go on the bucket list.

It is almost heaven on earth.... you almost feel like you don't deserve to be there.....same with Pebble Beach both are in my top 5 in the US

My dad is a CPA and one of the partners in his firm goes to the Masters every year. As you can imagine this causes some problems when they are trying to finish tax returns. Over the years he has brought me some really cool memorabilia though, I have a program from 1997 when Tiger won his first.

It is almost heaven on earth.... you almost feel like you don't deserve to be there.....same with Pebble Beach both are in my top 5 in the US

To play Augusta would be surreal. I couldn't imagine how that would be. The ghosts of legendary golfers who have roamed that place would be chilling. My dream would be to play Pebble, then Augusta, and finish it off by playing the Old Course at St. Andrews. I would die a happy man.

Archived