I am a big time sunshine pumper but...

casatiger

Gus is leaving and the most believable reason why is?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Gus is leaving and the most believable reason why is?

• Gus could not run his offense the way he wanted so was desperate to leave
    • Pressure was being put on CGC to make changes
    • This was truly his first head coaching job and was never offered another job
    • This is the best option for him to succeed so he takes a $500k paycut to get it
    • I'm a bammer troll

I think Gus was ran off, the pay cut is just too much. Same for Roof. CGC  hopefully will put together a better staff and I think he will, he has a plan to win championships.WDE,

There is no way Gus was ran off IMO...HOw does that make any sense ? We put up with Ted Roofs horrible defensive performances for 3 years.....Again, 3 years......Gus has one down year in 3 because of lack of veteran teammates and he was ran off ? Nah...Doubt it.

Don't laugh, except for the money, this makes a lot of sense for Gus' professional growth.

Most pros have career paths and they learn as they go what is necessary for the next level.

They and their bosses have candid conversations about the length of time necessary to

reach a base level of expectations, and the candidate's willingness to meet those commitments.

Gus learned a lot and has the opportunity to go home to his future recruiting base.

I say that because as a local he probably would want to coach his state's university one day.

Also, considering his limited experience @ the college level, he has to develop and network

with a lot of younger coaches to evaluate for a future big time staff.

We go our seperate ways but he is always an AU Family member.  WDE and Via Con Dios.

The pay cut is an investment in his future.  My gosh, that happens all the time in the normal business invironment and it's not like he will be on food stamps.  He was making far less than $800K when he came to AU and a couple good years at ASU and he will more than make it up. 

As noted by several people, I took think Gus learned through his recent interviews that he would always be the bridesmaid when coaching jobs were being discussed by BCS level teams.  He needs experience running a program and ASU is a good place to get it. Familiar ground, friendly fans, etc. etc.

There are several factors in Gus leaving, one as many have stated most SEC knew how to stop his offense and he was unwilling to make the adjustment. Point in case last years Iron Bowl, his unwillingness to make adjustment in the first half almost cost us the game. Two, his wifes commits did impact the team, you only have to look at the lack of production starting with the Arkansas game going forward. Three the lack of development of the QB's, two that he recruited. The interesting part of this is the fact after Cam left Auburn, the first thing was to find a QB coach to improve his skills, that speaks volumes. Last, he has never stayed in one place more than three years.

Gus picked the job because he wanted t be a head coach but told CGC he would be at Auburn for 3 years so he turned down jobs last season. Now he has been true to his word and mosy importantly to him he is going home. Gus was a high school coach in Arkansas and with his connections he will build up a great team.

Good Luck and Thanks to him!

THIS!!!

I don't know about you, but 600,000-800,000 dollars a year is plenty. Plus, he gets to go back home to Arkansas where he is from. AND, he doesn't have to be in the spotlight as much anymore. He inherits a decent Arky State team.

Auburn will continue to exist. And will continue to be a good program.

Thanks Gus. Good Luck at Arky State.

My guess: Interviewed for a lot of jobs this year, all were given to people with head coaching experiance. Vandy, as much a I like Franklin, it is a dead end job very hard to win there over a long period of time. He took a job that he was familiar with and that he would not have to win year in and year out 3 years of 8 wins and he is going to be a big time head coach. Last, He wanted to be a head coach a lot more than he was putting on.

I think this is much more realistic than all the other theories. He showed at Tulsa he can light up the mid majors. He'll do the same at ASU. Then in a few years he'll go to a great program as head coach. I think we'll see him again in the SEC.

Yes, and yes. I do think his stock took a hit this past year as well, this was his best option.  AU is a major football power, and there will be life after the Gus.  Sure hate to see his wife go though, seemed like she was a person who helped our AU family grow and connect!  :-X

:we:

This is a man who lived and raised a family on a teacher's salary.  $800,000 is plenty of money for the family to feel VERY blessed.  Plus he just made 1.3 million last year.  He probably could take a few years off and fish if he wanted to.  CGM is taking this job because he feels it is the best move to get him a good head coaching job in the future.

Don't laugh, except for the money, this makes a lot of sense for Gus' professional growth.

Most pros have career paths and they learn as they go what is necessary for the next level.

They and their bosses have candid conversations about the length of time necessary to

reach a base level of expectations, and the candidate's willingness to meet those commitments.

Gus learned a lot and has the opportunity to go home to his future recruiting base.

I say that because as a local he probably would want to coach his state's university one day.

Also, considering his limited experience @ the college level, he has to develop and network

with a lot of younger coaches to evaluate for a future big time staff.

We go our seperate ways but he is always an AU Family member.  WDE and Via Con Dios.

This exactly.  Get back to where he's comfortable and can keep an eye towards Fayetteville....

I agree with those that said he took the job because he's familiar with Arkansas recruiting and he needs HS experience to land a bigger job.  This way he's able to wait for Petrino to leave the pigs while also making his resume stronger.

Also, the pay cut makes sense because think of all the taxes he was paying by making $1.3 million.  ;D

I'm thinking another year like this one and no one would be knocking at his door.

Well, either way.  Auburn has been an elite football program for 100 years, I'm sure we can find SOMEBODY to drive over and help Coach Chizik with the team.  Maybe a grad assistant, pee wee league coach?  :-\ 

I'm thinking another year like this one and no one would be knocking at his door.

I'm thinking the same way you are.  I can't for the life of me understand why he would leave AU, with his salary, talented players, top facilities, calling his own offense, coming off a NC year with a Heisman winner for a job at a non-BCS school in Arkansas taking what looks like a 40-50% pay cut. 

I mean seriously, the previous HC at ArkyState took the HC job at the SEC bottom dweller (Ole Miss) after taking AkySt to a 10 win season this year.  I just can't see the upside of Gus leaving AU to go there after NC/Vandy/Kansas/Maryland schools had him at the top of their HC list. :dunno:

CGM was a victim of too much too soon. he jumped straight from HS into the big boys. judging from his sideline demeanor its pretty easy to tell the pressure was a little much for him. now he has scaled things back a bit and is in a position that is much more comfortable to him all the way around. he has the freedom to call his shots, MUCH less pressure and still exponentially more money than he was making just a few years ago in HS ball. its logical only if you can step back from the "money rules my world" mentality that most operate with.

Archived