Which would be the better defensive staff for AU?

BaldDisciple

Looking at the big picture, which staff makeup would be better for our defensive development going forward?

A LB/DC  keppeing Thig as safety coach and bringing in a CB coach

or

A DB/DC that handles the whole secondary, moving Thig to LB coach and bringing in a DE coach

Looking at the big picture, which staff makeup would be better for our defensive development going forward?

A LB/DC  keppeing Thig as safety coach and bringing in a CB coach

or

A DB/DC that handles the whole secondary, moving Thig to LB coach and bringing in a DE coach

Of your two options, I would choose B (the DB/DC with Thig to LB coach bringing in a DE coach).  However; I would not be opposed to have an entirely new D staff from top to bottom.  My only concern with a complete house cleaning of the D staff would be losing Thigpen as a recruiter.

wde

I'd rather have Thigpen in his natural coaching position. I haven't been impressed with our Safety play in.... a while.

I'm the same way, that's why even though Randy Shannon would be my #1 choice, I think a Bob Shoop or a Stoops brother would be the better choice.

Guy's you all are over thinking this way to much. It is hard for me to believe that Coach Chizik is only looking for a DC that coaches a specific position. We are looking for a DC first and then positions will be worked out after. Over their careers most coaches, coach multiple positions.

That doesn't mean all coaches are good at coaching all positions, though. If Chizik doesn't have positions in at least the back of his mind we could be in trouble.

During his defensive career he coached both LB and DB's. The man knows what he needs more than we will ever know. He took a change in known coordinators 3 years ago, these hires will take us on the road to stability and improvement. The one thing that we will not have to hear is we are dumbing down the offense or defense because it is to complicated for the players to pick up during the camps and game weeks.

I am always a fan of DC's that specialize in DB coaching. The philosophy when your focus unit is your DB's is to blitz like crazy (see Rex Ryan) and put the stress on your DB's. It's an attacking offense.

LB coaches (see Monty Kiffin) put the strain on LB's (particularly the MLB) to make plays in the passing game and play more of a read and react game.

DL coaches tend to build physical defense that simply dominate you up front and everything else seems to fall into place.

Now, just because the coach is a DL coach doesnt mean that will be the best unit (see Ted Rood and the LBs) but they build the defense around what they know best. Steve Spurrier could never run a run-first offense because that just isn't what he does. And while Malzahn has a run-heavy scheme, the quarterback is extremely involved in that aspect of the game.

When you hire a DC or a OC, you want someone who is rounded, that know how to coach multiple positions. By doing so, they can evaluate how the position coach are doing their jobs. During practice much of their time is working as a position coach not the coordinator. They revert back to the practice film to see what is going. I think that was why it was so important for Coach Chizik to run the defense for the bowl game.

How involved is a head coach or DCo during position meeting and divided up practices? If he were a DCo and HC but not an LB Coach, how involved would he be at all levels of practice?

I a program like Auburn, the HC is pulled in many different directions. They spend most of the practice moving from position to position and focusing on the scrimmage. When you have so many things going on in practice you can not stay in one place for long. Practice is based on about 15 minute stations. The coordinators focus on positions till the team comes together, they watch position work on film.

Archived