Time to scrap the hurry up offense

JamesG

All sorts of schemes have proven they can work if talented players properly execute and play fundamentally sound football.   Prostyle/air raid/spread/HUNH/option/wishbone/wing T/west coast/gulf coast/fun 'n gun.  

Why not stick with what worked and what got us to the BCSNC Game a year ago, and let these young inexperienced players show what they can do?    

Changing just to be like someone else is not always the right approach to take when you have a team full of young players that have only been a part of your system for a year or two.  This program has been in constant flux for over a year now, players have come and gone, coaches will be going and coming.  There are just a few things that are a constant at AU anymore.  But, Gene Chizik is the hub of the wheel, I we all have to trust that he knows what is best and he knows what he is doing for the good on AU.

Cam Newton ain't walking back through that door....

It worked with Chris Todd.

If by "worked" you mean a 7-5 team that scored 33 points a game and gave up 28....then yeah, I guess it worked.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's time to panic.  It's time to buy high.  The sun is setting dangerously close to the ground.  It's time to sell low.  It's time to scrap the offense that won the NC last year.  It's pitch black outside.  It's time to scrap the 4-3.  It's time to do what those guys are doing.  It's time to hire that guy.  Buy. Buy. Buy.  Everything is coming apart at the seams.  We're becoming obsolete. It's time to fire that guy.  Sell. Sell. Sell. Change it now.  Scrap everything and begin anew before the sun lifts off -- leaving us all behind.

this post sums up the past 5 weeks here...just sad.

All sorts of schemes have proven they can work if talented players properly execute and play fundamentally sound football. Prostyle/air raid/spread/HUNH/option/wishbone/wing T/west coast/gulf coast/fun 'n gun.

Why not stick with what worked and what got us to the BCSNC Game a year ago, and let these young inexperienced players show what they can do?

Changing just to be like someone else is not always the right approach to take when you have a team full of young players that have only been a part of your system for a year or two. This program has been in constant flux for over a year now, players have come and gone, coaches will be going and coming. There are just a few things that are a constant at AU anymore. But, Gene Chizik is the hub of the wheel, I we all have to trust that he knows what is best and he knows what he is doing for the good on AU.

Cam Newton ain't walking back through that door....

It worked with Chris Todd.

If by "worked" you mean a 7-5 team that scored 33 points a game and gave up 28....then yeah, I guess it worked.

Offense didn't give up 28 points. I know you're saying that because the offense scored to quickly that it caused the defense to give up more points, but I just don't buy it. It's like when we beat Miss St. 3-2 one year and LSU 7-3 the year before. Folks were saying we need to run the spread. We need to run what works, IMO. And with expirenced lineman, our system has worked. It's the D that has struggled. And we're getting a new coach because of it.

Obviously there are other factors involved, but I dont think it is a coincidence that the 3 years we ran a hurry up offense were also the 3 worst defensive years (statistically) in Auburn history. IMO we need a change in philosophy (not necessarily pro style) and I think when the new OC is announced you will see that coach chizik agrees. I'm just freaking tired of watching average teams go UP and DOWN the field with little resistance, even in winning efforts....

You're basically telling us that even though we won a national title, an SEC title, and won 10 games per season with the HUNH offense, you want us to change our philosophy because you care more about defensive statistics.

We won a title because we were able to outscore everyone. We had ONE player that accounted for 50 tds and 3000 yds of offense. Maybe I'm naive but I don't see that happening again any time soon. If our offensive line turns out to be fantastic and Keihl is Cam part 2, then by all means, keep the HUNH. Otherwise, we aren't going to survive with our D on the field so much, especially against the ball control style of offense of LSU and Bama.

I counter your arguement about Cam with this : Who were the other playmakers on offense ? Mike Dyer was good as a freshman , but that was about it. He had average help and this attributed to his gaudy stats. What do you think our offense will look like when all the talent gets to be Seniors and Juniors ?

Also , in our N.C. year, other than Nick and Josh, there were not many outstanding players either. The HUNO is what got our first N.C. in 50 plus years......

Not saying I care what kind of offense we run because I don't if it produces a national chapionship.....

This thread is about scrapping the HURRY UP offense. Not the SPREAD offense. I'm not saying we need to switch to pro style. You can still run the spread and not try to run 75 plays a game. I just believe our defense will continue to suffer if we go hurry/up no huddle. I don't think we can survive doing it in this conference over the long haul. I'm just sick of giving up so many freaking points. Its not Auburn football.

Ironically, our biggest win in '11 was against soon-to-be top 6 or 7 South Carolina, on the road, who had an OUTSTANDING defense and one of the big reasons we won is because we ran 91 plays against them, about 40 more than the Gamecocks.... go figure.

It's time to panic.  It's time to buy high.  The sun is setting dangerously close to the ground.  It's time to sell low.  It's time to scrap the offense that won the NC last year.  It's pitch black outside.  It's time to scrap the 4-3.  It's time to do what those guys are doing.  It's time to hire that guy.  Buy. Buy. Buy.  Everything is coming apart at the seams.  We're becoming obsolete. It's time to fire that guy.  Sell. Sell. Sell. Change it now.  Scrap everything and begin anew before the sun lifts off -- leaving us all behind.

:) :) :) :)  bravo... well said!!  I'd hate to be in the trenches with some of the nervous nellies on this board.

"This is the SEC" doesn't wash with me.  Alabama and LSU dominate the SEC because they have superior talent, depth, and coaching.  It's not because they run more traditional offense.

Correct, correct, correct. But I would have to say that if they swapped talent with whatever team they were playing, the team with the talent would still win.

Great article by P Marshall. Lays out how there are literally ZERO schools who run the hurry up and are also strong on defense. Even the schools who win a lot. You might can get away with it in other conferences, but not in this one.

Don't know about you, but I'm sick of giving up 30 points a game. It's not SEC football.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Phillips-blog-Ramblin-around-55723

I hate this line of thinking.  Our problem wasn't our offense it was our defense and that was obvious.  If Bama or LSU had our offense in 2011 they would have won games 63-0 more times than not.  :banghead:

Correlation does not imply causation.  Btw...if having a hurry up offense tires out the defense so badly, why was our defense in the 4th quarter so much better than quarters 1-3 last year?

:) :) :) :)   bravo... well said!!   I'd hate to be in the trenches with some of the nervous nellies on this board.

Far and away the nervous nellies on this board wouldn't get near the trenches.

:) :) :) :)   bravo... well said!!   I'd hate to be in the trenches with some of the nervous nellies on this board.

sure they would, every heard of fratricide

As a few people have already mentioned, we haven't really run a HUNH with Malzahn consistently. You've seen flashes of it, like against Oregon when we were driving in the 4th. A real HUNH offense is essentially running the 2-minute drill all the time. And it makes sense that a defense would look bad if the offense got off the field so quickly.

But the bottom line is, we haven't really EVER run a consistent HUNH offense.

What he said:

The hurry up offense basically relies on your ability to out pace and score the other team, and if your defense can make a few stops or get a few turnovers you can build a lead.  This is what Oregon does because they do not have the size to grind it out.  But as we saw this year with Auburn, if the offense struggles, the defense is left on the field virtually the entire game. However, in our national championship year, the time of possession vs. SEC opponents was pretty even in every game and favored Auburn more often than not.  Yet our defense was still very average.  I don't think the offensive scheme is a problem for the defense....I think the defensive scheme has been the problem for the defense.

sure they would, every heard of fratricide

Well when I was in combat the nervous nellies found out what a butt stroke to the head was, quick

Archived