Interesting thought from Jake Hollands dad

AuburnWarVet

The most frustrating part of Roof's defense were always the fundamentals, IMO. However, that's shared by the entire defensive staff and the head coach. The schemes were questionable sometimes but the fundamentals are what made me want to put my head through the wall.

My feelings exactly!  We had so many fundamental breakdowns that it drove me crazy.  Basic tackling, failure of geometry and just getting lined up correctly.  These things drove me crazy the past few years.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question for the 90, what dcs do you know to get this info? I dont know your background just curious as to how you know so many coaches.

I have a question for the 90, what dcs do you know to get this info? I dont know your background just curious as to how you know so many coaches.

Fair question: I played college football, then coached at the high school, middle school and other levels for 15 years, have two sons that play (oldest just finished...getting ready for professional ball) college football, still do evaluation work for some folks, privately mentor a few high school players here and there, and have many close friends and family members that either coach, serve in strength & conditioning or administration capacities at every level - high school, college and pro ball. I don't do it for a living and I'm certainly no expert - but I suppose it's fair to say I have some relevant experience and resources. I'm not seeking any e-cred if that's what your asking. I just enjoy talking 'ball.

I would like a hybrid offense with both spread and pro set offense.  I like what Carolina is doing with Cam Newton throwing in spread plays for him.  That is exactly what I am talking about.

Stan White made a statement this morning on his radio show that we would probably see an offense that took more snaps from under center compared to the past but because AU has recruited based on the spread we would see similarities. He also said that the telephone has been blowing up regarding interest in the Auburn job but Gene Chizik (just like with the DC search) has a plan regarding who he wants to hire as OC and that the fans should be patient. :). He ruled out the OC guy from Clemson from any consideration by Auburn...I think we knew that.         

The most frustrating part of Roof's defense were always the fundamentals, IMO. However, that's shared by the entire defensive staff and the head coach. The schemes were questionable sometimes but the fundamentals are what made me want to put my head through the wall.

Jonesy, You are on the mark there. We could not tackle, no fundamentals. maybe the worst tackeling by an Auburn D in my lifetime. Roof is a good man and probably a solid coach but he did not teach our guys the basics of sound  hitting and tackeling.  I look forward to seeing BVG guys really get after it , I hear he is a bit of a tough nut when it comes to fundamentals.

I have said the same thing that Mr. Holland said regarding the OC and DC. The spread is a defense killer, we hired a strong DC that will cut down on yards given up. While the speculations has run wild on who the OC is, who ever it is will run a modified offense that will take some of the better parts of the spread and pro set that will utilize the talent we have and build an offense around personnel that we recruit in the future. We have to have a flexible OC that will adapt the offense to the talent each year and build on the strengths of the players on hand.

hmmm

Bird you are still appreciated.  When I heard the comments the first person I thought about was you.

:laugh: Thanks

Agreed. The most frustrating thing was seeing missed gap assignments, wide open holes in zone coverage, and poor positioning by our DBs in coverage.  I think that is what contributed to our poor defensive numbers and not the quickness of our offense. 

Yes, in the end, it is ultimately the DC's responsibility, but teaching these responsibilities lie under the position coaches.

The 90,

I agree with your assesment that the HUNH somehow hurts the defense. 

What brought it to my attention was Reggie Herring when he was DC at Arkansas with Malzahn in 2006. 

Although it was widely reported that Houston Nutt and Malzahn didn't see eye to eye on the running game,  the friction between the two was actually caused by Reggie Herring who was constantly pointing out that the HUNH offense was hampering the progress of his defense.  Nutt could see it.    USCw stomped  'em at home because the HUNH couldn't stay on the field  (and the defense looked like ours the last 3 years)....  the friction heated up.

I didn't think much of it at the time,  but afterword I noticed teams running the HUNH struggled on D.  Even teams that should have had relatively strong defenses.  When matched up with equal or superior talent,  the HUNH team's defenses often fell completely apart.

hmmm

Bird you are still appreciated.  When I heard the comments the first person I thought about was you.

I second this.  Inside that fun-loving yellow exterior, resides a true Auburn man with great love for his University and a solid knowledge of football.  He also loves this site and is probably the most active Mod on this board that keeps it moving in the right direction.  Don't let the stupid-looking exterior fool you.

hmmm

I second this.  Inside that fun-loving yellow exterior, resides a true Auburn man with great love for his University and a solid knowledge of football.  He also loves this site and is probably the most active Mod on this board that keeps it moving in the right direction.  Don't let the stupid-looking exterior fool you.

:-\

hmmm

:-\

;D

Hey folks - enjoyed being on the show, was a lot of fun.

Just to clarify my comments, the question was posed as to what a defensive coordinator (in general, not specifically BVG) might want to know during the interview process. I said that one of the first questions a DC candidate might ask would be what kind of offense will be run. I stand by that. I know chords of coaches, agents and people in the business and it is a normal question a DC would ask - I assure you on that part. I went on to say that some DC prospects might shy away from a DC position on a team that is totally sold out to HUNH philosophy. I also know that to be true from many that I talk to. My comments were not an inference in any way as to what I think AU will or won't do - nor do I know anything about CGC's interview process. He doesn't consult me - lol!

As to what kind of offense CGC wants, I just know what he's said - and that it is that in order to be successful in this league, we have to be able to run the ball effectively.  From what I can gather, I think he wants a migration to more of a power run game. That in no way means we won't still spread it out and get our athletes in space. Nor does it mean we'll be purely a downhill, dot the I offense. Just a guess on my part, but I suspect Coach Chizik is looking for the right "guy" first, coupled with an ability to be balanced on offense. There are certainly a lot of ways to do that and those objectives aren't tied to one certain offensive "scheme" I don't imagine. Again, he doesn't consult me - I'm just reading tea leaves like anyone else.

Again, the OP didn't misrepresent my commentary at all. I just wanted you all to understand the context under which the subject came up and to further clarify my point. Basically, we were just talkin ball in general and I wasn't professing to have any inside information with respect to Auburn's plans.

Now just a general point: there is hardly anyone in the country that runs the HUNH nearly all the time that also has a top 40-50 defense. Those are just the facts. What you run offensively and further, what you practice against every day defensively absolutely has a direct effect upon your defense.  I'm not advocating one way of the other, but to say they aren't related isn't an accurate statement.

War Eagle!

PS Couldn't be more excited about BVG hire. Hit that one outta the park!!

Important question about defensive players and the new coach.....

Can Jake gro a sweet arse mustache like BVG?  How many other projected starters do you think can grow sweet arse mustaches like BVG? 

i like an offense that scores points and gus hunh  does. you might not have a top five defense but it dont have to be as bad as what we have had either. in 2010 the defense was much better in the 2nd halves and 4rth qtr so the theory of being tired is not exactly spot on. hunh=more snaps=more opportunities=more pt for recruits. i think chizik is smart enough to know when to change the pace to what the game situation dictates.

On the stache question.  I serious doubt we have any on D that  can grow a stache like BVG.  They may can grow a stache, but that thing is epic.

Question....

Do you think Chizik would have been able to pull in BVG if CGM had stayed on at AU?

Which would you rather have?  Superstar DC or Superstar OC? 

Me....I think I like the superstar DC.  JMO.

Question....

Do you think Chizik would have been able to pull in BVG if CGM had stayed on at AU?

Which would you rather have?  Superstar DC or Superstar OC? 

Me....I think I like the superstar DC.  JMO.

Well for all the great DCs we've had in the last decade, three of which are now HCs, we didn't win a NC until we had an awesome OC. Of course we also had to have the greatest college football player of all time to win it all last year.

On the stache question.  I serious doubt we have any on D that  can grow a stache like BVG.  They may can grow a stache, but that thing is epic.

Lutz grew a pretty good one for the O this season. "FEAR THE STACHE!"

Hopefully (I pray) that we won't need the greatest college football player on this team to win another NC.  IMO, a team full of great players, not just one or two stand outs is what is needed to win consistantly in this conference.  I want more than anything to prove to the nation that AU wasn't just a flash in the pan last year.  

Run a spread offense, forget about the HUNH or run it just in certain situations.

I like HUNH, works great when you have the D locked with personnel set that allows you to move the ball.  So to me, run the HUNH in that situation to take advantage of player match ups.

I understand that quick 3 and out's or scoring in 2 minutes can fatigue a defense but until the fatigue sets in, the HUNH would not effect tackling techniques and what angle you take etc...  When you got your opponent 3rd and 7, your O's HUNH doesn't make your D ineffective, letting the other team get 11 yards.  That's X's & O's and poor coaching.

Run a spread offense, forget about the HUNH or run it just in certain situations.

I like HUNH, works great when you have the D locked with personnel set that allows you to move the ball.  So to me, run the HUNH in that situation to take advantage of player match ups.

College football isn't suited to allow such big shifts in philosophies.  Being a pro-style one year, wishbone the next, spread the next and option the next just doesn't work.    The number of hours these kids have to practice doesn't allow for it.

College football isn't suited to allow such big shifts in philosophies.  Being a pro-style one year, wishbone the next, spread the next and option the next just doesn't work.    The number of hours these kids have to practice doesn't allow for it.

I agree with what you say but not sure I understand how it applies to the quoted post.  You can run most any formation in a HUNH setting.  HUNH has to do with how the plays are sent in and how quick you start the play.  Since our players are accustom to HUNH, they can keep running a rendition of it when suitable.  But I agree, flipping them to pro set to spread to power I can't effectively be done.

Archived